Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The thought of LU possibly playing UTEP makes me :D .
By cruzan_flame13
Cider Jim wrote:The thought of LU possibly playing UTEP makes me :D .
I was pumped with the thought of playing UAB, Duke, Army band Wake Forest. Getting some ACC action is definitely interesting during our first season as FBS :football.
By Class of 20Something
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
I was pumped with the thought of playing UAB, Duke, Army band Wake Forest. Getting some ACC action is definitely interesting during our first season as FBS :football.
That schedule alone is why we made the jump. Exposure. FBS makes too much sense for the Liberty marketing machine when schools like Duke and Wake are on the schedule.

Doing 2&1s those first two years might make for a terrible record those years, but the ease of scheduling those would make at 2020 and beyond may be worth it.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
UTEP games would be hard for my buddy that hits a lot of LU games with me. He's a big UTEP fan.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Great job on the schedule. It's not easy to put together, that's for sure.

I will note though, because I'm familiar with Duke, I doubt we get them on the schedule within the next 7 years or so. They have a scheduling agreement with Northwestern that goes through 2025 (and probably will get extended beyond that). Notre Dame is on the schedule through 2020 and then back again in 2023. Kansas in 2021 and 2022. You will see one opening for 2018 and 2020, however, that is typically reserved for a local FCS program (NC Central, NC A&T...etc).

Duke's schedule typically is one mid-major or Amy/Navy. One team from the Big10/Big12. One game against a local FCS program. And when they aren't playing Notre Dame, they typically schedule one more mid-major home game. Very, very rarely will they travel to a mid-major program. The lone exception will be in 2021 when they play an in-state game at Charlotte. Point being, they have numerous scheduling agreements that essentially seal their schedule for the next 7 years.

With that said, I think one team you all should have looked at is Memphis. They have an opening for a 2019 home, a 2020 away game, and a 2021 home game. That would be a perfect 2-for-1.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Mrs. Cider would be beside herself, CJ! One of our longtime posters who used to work in the football office but is now in Michigan is from El Paso as well. And then you factor in cheap flights between Houston & EL Paso and I am all in. Of course, there is the matter of games actually being scheduled. But I like the way you are thinking!

My top rpiority is getting a home-and-home with Rice in Houston for 2018 and in Lynchburg 2019. It lines up and we can make it happen. It would keep our streak of games in Texas for three straight seasons for my crew.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
ASOR - incredible job putting this all together. I second many of the above comments about this being right reason Liberty went FBS. The fact that people would rather play UAB at home than Presby at home speaks volumes to the power of being FBS vs. FCS.

When should we start finding out some of the confirmed opponents for the future schedules?
By Steve1981
Hi, UMass fan here and there is a new Future schedule thread, were you guys are mentioned. Has some good schedule notes that we have been holding of scheduling 2019-20.

Quote from our AD Ryan Bamford.
Bamford did not write off a possible meeting with New Mexico State in 2019 because, like Moccia, Bamford doesn’t know what the future in conference realignment holds. But it won’t be in 2018 when NMSU’s Sun Belt Conference membership expires. UMass has only a FCS game to complete its 2018 schedule.

Bamford said UMass has six open dates in 2019 but will not schedule further until at least next summer or unless it becomes clear UMass will remain an independent past 2018.

“I would never close the door on any opportunity,” Bamford said. “It’s a far enough time away that I don’t know what the status is going to be for us. I don’t want to stack 10 or 12 games and then have to get out of those games.
http://umass.247sports.com/Board/59480/ ... s-51510157

Well some don't hold the same values as you guys, they still want to schedule you. It's a very small sample size of postings as it is a new thread.
Last edited by Steve1981 on February 27th, 2017, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Steve1981 has been a longtime poster on multiple boards including AGS before the Minutemen moved up years ago. I suspect we will have plenty of engagement between our schools moving forward.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
I have a strong feeling Sly is talking in code again here. So the question is if UMASS is on the schedule to play in Lynchburg in 2018 or 2019 :dontgetit
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
No code, simply two schools with independent FBS status that face scheduling challenges that will likely find it worthwhile to schedule each other. Likewise, there is nothing cryptic about discussing "things to do in Las Cruces, NM".
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:No code, simply two schools with independent FBS status that face scheduling challenges that will likely find it worthwhile to schedule each other. Likewise, there is nothing cryptic about discussing "things to do in Las Cruces, NM".
Haha exactly. I figured it was a given that UMASS and NM State will be on the schedule, just trying to pull out the details :mrgreen:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
May well be neither for all we know...that is what MG and the boys are no doubt trying to work out
By Steve1981
The intent of the quote was {from our AD} showing it was extremely unlikely we'll play in 2018. Plus show that even thou we have started looking at scheduling 2019 and 2020, nothing will be done until after the Final 4. If there is talk of conference realignment, well probably what a few months, till summer before making scheduling commitments.
Last edited by Steve1981 on February 28th, 2017, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Just doin my job and holding onto my title as captain obvious
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Just doin my job and holding onto my title as captain obvious
With ballcoach on the case you have competition
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Steve1981 wrote:The intent of the quote was {from our AD} showing it was extremely unlikely we'll play in 2018. Plus show that even thou we have started looking at scheduling 2019 and 2020, nothing will be done until after the Final 4. If there is talk of conference realignment, well probably what a few months, till summer before making scheduling commitments.
With all due respect, Liberty is a different situation than NMSU. Michael Traini completely misreads the Liberty situation. Itis very likely that we will be paying some guarantees to get G5s on our schedule in 2018 to meet the NCAA requirement. Bamford's quote was in reference to NMSU which is seriously cash-strapped and desperate to find any dates. While it may be unlikely that our schools meet in 2018, it is much more likely than NMSU.

What is the feeling of the UMass faithful in regard to an AAC invitation? Do they believe that UConn will seriously step away or that there might be some expansion? Otherwise it seems to this outsider that you guys are just biding time in hopes of the Big XII shifting gears. Is that a fair assessment?
By Steve1981
Yes, it's a fair assessment and the below is the longer answer.

We have work to do and hope UConn stays put as they are advocating for our membership. Think if we start winning and can guarantee an upgrade McGuirk, our OCS, we'll eventually get in. Very hard to get a super majority vote for joining a conference as you guys know. Here are some quotes from a football night in Boston.
Meehan was the first speaker of the evening, and in his remarks he praised the success of the system, the flagship, the UMass Club itself, etc, and also made it a point to say that to be a nationally prominent flagship you need FBS football. Obviously a move to try and assuage people's consistent concerns about a potential drop or cut of the program. He also mentioned how as a system president that's a big sports fan, he was a "pain in the a$$" (his words) to Bamford after every game the school plays about everything from performance to concession revenues.

The first question asked of Bamford was regarding a conference, as it usually is, and he gave the same answer we've heard for a while: Currently we're at the mercy of realignment. All UMass can do is attempt to make their athletic department as attractive an option as possible, and keep working to position themselves to be in the best spot when openings arise. Meehan jumped in after Ryan spoke and said that he has had off the record discussions with a number of officials at other institutions in regard to realignment and UMass' current independent status, and that he will continue to do so as long as UMass remains indy in order to try and find the school the best possible conference situation.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm not going to lie, I would be pretty happy if we could work out a deal with a G5 conference similar to what Notre Dame has with the ACC. I wonder how likely that is to happen. It would make scheduling so much easier.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I'm not going to lie, I would be pretty happy if we could work out a deal with a G5 conference similar to what Notre Dame has with the ACC. I wonder how likely that is to happen. It would make scheduling so much easier.
Concur. The big question will be where is LU in regards to the rest of its sports?
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]