Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote:LU was desperate for games
  • Of which they got eight out of the deal
LU is paying $1.3 million
  • That breaks down to $165k per game
It is one of the highest guarantees ever
  • Not if you break it down per game
LU has a $1 billion endowment
  • News to me, I thought it was closer to $2B
What do you have against Laura Wagner? I've never heard of her.
  • Well, that entire article was a hit piece designed to play on the irrational hatred of LU

Exactly what I thought, especially your answer towards PH's last question.
By Class of 20Something
A Sea of Red wrote:Liberty to receive a total of $1.2M from UVA for games in 2018, '19

http://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-to-rec ... n-2018-19/
In the Fantasy Football world this would be called "Trade Rape"

I cannot wait to hear what we are getting from Auburn!!!!! I don't really want to bring the President too far into this, but between ODU UVA and Auburn, it really seems like these deals are only benefiting LU. We will essentially break even at the least.
By cruzan_flame13
R i wrote:I really hope that there are more games on the horizon with ODU. Given our resources, and what that game actually means to this fan base and our school's history, along with the amount of schedule maneuvering that ODU had to do. We easily could and should have paid more than 1.32 Milly. Well done by Ian and Mickey for getting it done for a decent price.

Trump releasing the schedule was a highlight of a surprisingly good speech. I did not have to explain to the local watering hole attendees last night what Two Corinthians or any of the like was about.

Message board and National media aside, the VA folks I interact with and talk football, the majority of people see this as a win for LU. An ODU fan approached me yesterday at work, and was really excited about the game in Lynchburg. UVA fans that do not primarily hide behind the keyboard are equally excited about the in state FBS series that they should pick up FBS wins.

My last random thought about the scheduling. I hope that having top level programs come to Lynchburg to play football will bring the Lynchburg natives and locals. Ian has mentioned this as an area of concern and need to improve within the athletic department. With several years of separation, I think this could be the piece that brings the school and community together.
AD McCaw did say that it was a priority for the future of LU and the community. I also believe that the event in which LU engaged in serving the community for a day was a definite start for this idea. I believe it is a great idea because it increases the relationship with the school and community. I'm sure McCaw will think of many other ways to bring the community together. This also help with other departments for the school (ex. marketing) and the other sports representing LU.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I had a weird conservation this morning. I was at an "undisclosed location" and some guy started talking football with me, mainly Virginia Tech. Then he started talking about LU, telling me he was LU fan. When he realized I knew more about LU than he did, he quit talking.
#thewhopper
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Looks to me like we will be paying out about 2 mil to ODU, NSU and ID St. and getting back something very close to that from Auburn and UVA. To put together a schedule for a season coming up so soon, with so many teams scheduling much further in advance and EXCEED the NCAA's requirements with 4 home FBS games and break even financially doesen't sound like desperation to me. Sounds like a home run.
Last edited by olldflame on May 16th, 2017, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Looks to me like we will be paying out about 2 mil to ODU, NSU and ID St. and getting back something very close to that from Auburn and UVA. To put together a schedule for a season coming up so soon, with so many teams scheduling much further in advance and EXCEED the NCAA's requirements with 4 home FBS games and break even financially doesen't like desperation to me. Sounds like a home run.
Oh it WAS desperation. But they came through it nicely. You don't pay 1.3 to ODU if you aren't desperate.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:Looks to me like we will be paying out about 2 mil to ODU, NSU and ID St. and getting back something very close to that from Auburn and UVA. To put together a schedule for a season coming up so soon, with so many teams scheduling much further in advance and EXCEED the NCAA's requirements with 4 home FBS games and break even financially doesen't like desperation to me. Sounds like a home run.
Oh it WAS desperation. But they came through it nicely. You don't pay 1.3 to ODU if you aren't desperate.
According to Ian they already knew they had big bucks coming from Auburn before they offered the 1.32 mil to ODU, so I disagree. 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We will eventually break even or even make money with the deal.
Which was most likely the best case scenario. They were willing to shell out bucks to pay for games so if they can rob Peter to pay Paul it's a plus.
Traditionally you take games like Ole Miss and Auburn to bolster your bottom line.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:We will eventually break even or even make money with the deal.
Which was most likely the best case scenario. They were willing to shell out bucks to pay for games so if they can rob Peter to pay Paul it's a plus.
Traditionally you take games like Ole Miss and Auburn to bolster your bottom line.
Our bottom line did not need bolstering, but our schedule did; win-win. 8)
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I don't know exactly how many people sit in the club secition, but remember they're paying $3.000 a year to even have a privilege to buy tickets there. So yeah, 1.32 million isn't that big a deal.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Our bottom line did not need bolstering, but our schedule did; win-win. 8)
I would have thought you would have gone with 'but LU isn't a Traditional school' :D
It's a good thing we got the games. Don't take what I'm saying as anything but that. It all played out nicely
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
This would be shooting for the moon (or even past it for that matter) but how awesome would it be if somehow we got ESPN to come to Lynchburg to do College Gameday for the ODU game and we were able to make an announcement on the video board at Convo or something? That would be a longshot since its the opening weekend of the season but I figure it was worth aiming high to ask.
Last edited by BJWilliams on May 16th, 2017, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
The idea that it wasn't planned to release the schedule is ludicrous. We all knew it was coming, even before the <wink, wink> posts leading up to Saturday. The weird thing was Trump making the announcement... I <think> the idea was to have the "Commander-In-Chief" be the one to announce the game vs. Army, which makes sense. It didn't fully come off that way to me, however... at least not with a screaming two year old in the car, listening on the radio.

I think "desperation" isn't quite accurate, considering the circumstances. In one sense, of course "we were desperate!" due to the need to make a schedule in short notice. In that sense, anything we have done was "desperate." To make "desperate" really fit, would have meant that we could not have made a schedule without this move, but I don't think that is true. Instead, we have a GREAT schedule, which appears to have been masterfully and strategically planned... Along with "laying awake at 2 AM, staring at the ceiling, wondering how this will work". Lol

Did ODU need to pay anyone for a buyout to play Liberty? If so, that certainly played into the total cost. From everything I have read, the AD seems to like and respect Liberty, and wanted to play us. That doesn't reek of "desperation."

:football
By cruzan_flame13
alabama24 wrote:The idea that it wasn't planned to release the schedule is ludicrous. We all knew it was coming, even before the <wink, wink> posts leading up to Saturday. The weird thing was Trump making the announcement... I <think> the idea was to have the "Commander-In-Chief" be the one to announce the game vs. Army, which makes sense. It didn't fully come off that way to me, however... at least not with a screaming two year old in the car, listening on the radio.

I think "desperation" isn't quite accurate, considering the circumstances. In one sense, of course "we were desperate!" due to the need to make a schedule in short notice. In that sense, anything we have done was "desperate." To make "desperate" really fit, would have meant that we could not have made a schedule without this move, but I don't think that is true. Instead, we have a GREAT schedule, which appears to have been masterfully and strategically planned... Along with "laying awake at 2 AM, staring at the ceiling, wondering how this will work". Lol

Did ODU need to pay anyone for a buyout to play Liberty? If so, that certainly played into the total cost. From everything I have read, the AD seems to like and respect Liberty, and wanted to play us. That doesn't reek of "desperation."

:football

Except the ODU forum which consist of some whiners and decent supporters. It reminded me of the other forums of supporters of teams in the SBC. All I can see is that the AD/LU has done some things that were not thought to be fulfilled anytime soon.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Dr Selig certainly loves Liberty so Im not at all surprised that he and McCaw were able to make things work to get the Monarchs as our opener for 2018. Certainly will be a trip I will want to make to Lynchburg to catch the first ever FBS game in Williams Stadium.

Im not surprised by the raging butthurt on the ODU forum though
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:
jbock13 wrote:I don't know exactly how many people sit in the club secition, but remember they're paying $3.000 a year to even have a privilege to buy tickets there. So yeah, 1.32 million isn't that big a deal.
Do you know how much people pay at FBS/P5 schools for the privilege to buy tickets of that caliber?

My wife is Alabama Athletics alumni and she couldn't sniff the nosebleeds for a $3000 donation.
You may have misread my post. Essentially I was saying when we have people who pay that much for tickets already, paying 1.32 million for a game isn't a big deal.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:This would be shooting for the moon (or even past it for that matter) but how awesome would it be if somehow we got ESPN to come to Lynchburg to do College Gameday for the ODU game and we were able to make an announcement on the video board at Convo or something? That would be a longshot since its the opening weekend of the season but I figure it was worth aiming high to ask.
There is some outside the box thinking!!
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]