Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
:twisted: Lane Kiffin...or his O.C. :twisted:
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
And you thought teams might already refuse to play Liberty now. Can't wait to see what kind of crap storm they wanna bring with these two clowns reuniting. Yes, the admin might not be the brightest people in the world but they're not that stupid. They know when to get press. Briles isn't coming to liberty.

As for Streeter. He's an OC on a national championship team and coached an all American QB. Has Liberty connections. Loves Liberty and is an up and coming coach. He'll make Liberty into a name brand football program.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:And you thought teams might already refuse to play Liberty now. Can't wait to see what kind of crap storm they wanna bring with these two clowns reuniting. Yes, the admin might not be the brightest people in the world but they're not that stupid. They know when to get press. Briles isn't coming to liberty.

As for Streeter. He's an OC on a national championship team and coached an all American QB. Has Liberty connections. Loves Liberty and is an up and coming coach. He'll make Liberty into a name brand football program.
But with Briles you have Texas money. You have the story of redemption. And you have someone looking for work. Streeter won't be lacking for job offers if/when he decides to become a HC. At places far better positioned than LU

And oh yeah. No ones heard of him Unless they are die hard FB fans
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Like PH I've been very vocal about my opinion on a move like this so I'll spare repeating it. As for the Art Briles theory: I want to believe that our university leadership isn't that stupid. I want to believe that we would never do anything that stupid. BUT everything that has happened over the past year points to us being exactly that stupid. We are going to be shelling out an incredible amount of money to get teams to come play us. We might get a little bump in recruiting but when everyone realizes that we don't have any conference and therefore no bowl tie ins they will start to lose interest. And we will be in one really bad situation if a conference doesn't come calling within a 5-7 year period.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Yeah you're talking Years down the road. Not next year. He will likely not be cleared by that time. he will still be facing charges. He might never get cleared too. Plus he'll forever be linked to one of the worst scandals in sports history. Even Liberty knows not to touch that.

If we're talking about next year. I'll think Streeter will be available and again he loves liberty and us being FBS and with the $$$ and resources. He'll be interested.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Yeah you're talking Years down the road. Not next year. He will likely not be cleared by that time. he will still be facing charges. He might never get cleared too. Plus he'll forever be linked to one of the worst scandals in sports history. Even Liberty knows not to touch that.

If we're talking about next year. I'll think Streeter will be available and again he loves liberty and us being FBS and with the $$$ and resources. He'll be interested.
At Clemson isn't he just QB coach and Recruiting Coordinator?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
PH you're right. I thought he was the OC. I swear I saw that somewhere.

And if they want to eventually get into a conference they know Briles would be the nail to the already buried coffin. I refuse to believe that they are that stupid to do that.
Last edited by ballah09 on February 16th, 2017, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:PH you're right. I thought he was the OC. I swear I saw that somewhere.

And if they want to eventually get into a conference they know Briles would be the nail to the already buried coffin. I refuse they are that stupid to do that.
But Briles will bring players wins and notoriety. That's what you LU is looking for. It's always been their MO. Notoriety is why they went Independent Everything is sped up now. There is only 1 coach out there who is going to be available and willing to basically start a program from scratch. Plus, he can groom his son to take over. The PR aspect is irrelevant .
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Classic distraction move by Haize. And you guys are buying into it. :lol:

I am anxious to see what we can do now that the door is open.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I actually think think this will give gill one last boost. I was convinced he was a dead man walking prior to this. Recruiting will def take a step up with more scholarships practice facility coa and now fbs. Gill has a soft schedule this year that he could save his job with. If he cant capitalize with some recruiting success between now and year end along with winning then that will be all for sure. He has a chance now

Schedule wise, i think we will be surprised. While we dont have the pull or favor to be voted in by a conference we do have one advantage. There are select presidents ads and head coaches that like us and respect the school. Jr mccaw gill and teaff all have contacts and schools that will help. Add in the guarantees like nmsu umass idaho and a power 5 game or 2 plus an fcs school and you can start to see how this might work. I know 1 good cusa school we will almost def play because of mccaw (not odu).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Classic distraction move by Haize. And you guys are buying into it. :lol:

I am anxious to see what we can do now that the door is open.
Whatever
I put down a whole list of things. Not my fault you feel too high and mighty to read it
Those that did wanted to talk about the coach who will take LU into FBS Why do you feel the need to bash them? :dontgetit
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Actually Idaho recently made the decision to drop down to FCS ... the first school to ever make such a move. The fanbase is battling hard to stop the move before it occurs especially coming off a season where they won a bowl game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
That's what I thought. You bash everyone else on the thread. Why not let people talk about what they want? Looks like playing Idaho is really generating traffic. Good choice
By Baldspot1
Class of 20Something wrote:I just want to take a moment to bask in the idea Buckshot is a senior our first year of bowl eligiblity. That's a heck of a time to make a statement.
How does redshirt senior with 2 years eligibility sound? 2017 is a throw away year. Maybe we redshirt a bunch of guys this year and build depth for FBS later.
By walksports
In some sense, I kind of like how the school - at times - doesn't seem to care how anybody thinks. It's a bold move for sure. Aren't those types of moves, though, what has helped the university grow? My daughter wanted to go to LU (she'll walk in May) because of the spiritual atmosphere, but I was surprised - while thinking LU was more like BBC - seeing some time in 2010-2012 an LU billboard along the interstate outside of downtown Philly.
The haters are going to hate. Period. An SB Nation site had this today, speaking of Liberty not getting conference invites previously, "Most university presidents are very uppity types that wouldn’t want their university associated with a pro-profit institution that has been broiled in scandal since the school’s inception." I thought to myself "what scandal(s)?"
If current Baylor AD Rhoades says (in a coaching-search.com piece) that the NCAA knows everything there is to about what took place at Baylor, does that say then that they wouldn't have approved the move with McCaw as the AD if they knew that there was more smoke there?
Although I wasn't for the McCaw hire when it was announced, it seemed to me that he was very much in his element at the press conference today. Polished. Has a plan and is ready to execute it.
Conversely, as others have said above, Gill will have to step it up. I was at the SMU game. That was a winnable contest. Will the right players who looked over LU for it being at the FCS level - and more depth with the additional scholarships - deliver that edge? Time will tell. Only thing that struck me as odd today was that he didn't have enough time to get his suit?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Since Liberty is playoff ineligible and are playing a bunch of cupcakes do you redshirt. Buck, Gandy-Golden, Farrow, Wells, etc and get an extra year with them when Liberty is bowl eligible? I think they should.

They'll still win 6-8 games

Baldspot beat me to it. I definitely think they should go this route.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Baldspot1 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I just want to take a moment to bask in the idea Buckshot is a senior our first year of bowl eligiblity. That's a heck of a time to make a statement.
How does redshirt senior with 2 years eligibility sound? 2017 is a throw away year. Maybe we redshirt a bunch of guys this year and build depth for FBS later.
They would be smart to do that with him and several others. (But I don't want to misdirect the thread)
By LUDad
Liberty has now enhanced their position for a future conference invite...
Last edited by LUDad on February 17th, 2017, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
If I am HCTG, there is no way I will red-shirting my best players. Look at it through another lens. HCTG is on the hot seat. He just got handed the biggest and greatest recruiting tool possible and it is up to him to drastically and quickly increase the level of recruiting for the program. He is not out of the woods yet and he cannot afford to have a losing or "down" year in 2017. Excitement is there and the fan base needs a reason to remain excited through 2018 as we turn to 2019 full FBS status. That gives HCTG 2 years to recruit a 3-star core and maybe even land some 4-star recruits, and don't think that is impossible. Just last year Liberty was in the top 3 for a 4-star DB who was choosing between Michigan, Arkansas and Liberty. The stadium expansion will be there in 2018 or 2019. The indoor practice facility is a HUGE recruiting tool. Imagine being a 4-star recruit and seeing the facilities and a brand new 35,000-40,000 seat stadium with the promise of playing some prime-time schools across the country. Talk about YUGE. We all know the ramifications down the road and how it will boost and bolster recruiting, but HCTG isn't in a position to look down the road. He has to make it through 2017 and hope he still has a job for 2018. Essentially HCTG is interviewing for 2018-beyond during the 2017 season. He doesn't have the luxury of "red-shirting the best players". Having Buck as a Sr. QB in the first year of bowl eligibility is great! So it's up to HCTG to have a 3-star or 4-star QB lined up to take the helm in 2020-beyond. Liberty HAS to be drastically better by 2019 than they are now, and that means recruiting better players than we have now. I hope Calvert crushes it, but I also hope he will be considered a mediocre option by 2019 because of how much better our recruiting will be at that time. That is not a shot against Calvert or any other QB on the roster, but that is the mindset of how things have to change and in a hurry.

As for scheduling. I feel confident IM, JLFJR and others will get the scheduling figured out. The games are there and the pieces will fall into place. ODU has been vocal about wanting to be able to play Liberty after we paid them a visit in 2013. A cooler thought, can you imagine the crowd in Williams Stadium if Army came to Lynchburg to play? How incredible would that atmosphere be?! For those thinking this is the curse of LU sports, I encourage you to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. I'm not saying it will be easy, but the overnight change in mindset is incredible. There are schools that will have to come play Liberty in Lynchburg because they need the game. Also, Liberty has a great reputation for a game day experience, so that will only help bolster more schools coming to the bill. It will be a challenge, but it will be so worth it when we have FBS schools coming to the Burg!

Go Flames!
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Right on, LUnpretty. Good post.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]