Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Being FBS Indy is better than the Sun Belt or CAA. There are a lot of us that need to eat crow on this one. Who would have thought the scheduling would be so epic from the beginning ? High Ranking Home game opponents is the major benefit in my opinion. With the scheduling requirements of the Sun Belt, I doubt we would be as flexible, and attractive to these regional ACC schools. If we were in the Colonial , like a large portion of this board wanted, we would never have been able to get FBS home game of any caliber. These Home games for fans will be the single largest driving force behind our fan base growing at a rapid clip. It is likely that we will be hosting a couple top 25 teams in Williams stadium in the next 10 years. Most of LUs fan base still has a FBS team they are cheering for on Saturdays. Scheduling Wake, VT, UVA, and Duke will help fans with this complex to be "all liberty all day".

By R i
Registration Days Posts
How many top 25 teams will LU host in the next 10-15 years. Here are some of the teams highest season rankings from the past several seasons.

Duke
2013 - 20th
2014- 19th
2015 - 22nd

BYU -
2006-15th
2007-14th
2008-21st
2009-12th
2010-25th
2011-25th
2015-19th

VT
2007-5th
2008-15th
2009-4th
2010-10th
20011-5th
2012-13th
2013-16th
2014-17th
2016-16th

Wake Forest
2006-14th
2007-21st
2008-16th

Syracuse
2001 - 14th

UVA
2007 - 16th
2011 - 24th
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Being FBS Indy is better than the Sun Belt or CAA. There are a lot of us that need to eat crow on this one. Who would have thought the scheduling would be so epic from the beginning ? High Ranking Home game opponents is the major benefit in my opinion. With the scheduling requirements of the Sun Belt, I doubt we would be as flexible, and attractive to these regional ACC schools. If we were in the Colonial , like a large portion of this board wanted, we would never have been able to get FBS home game of any caliber. These Home games for fans will be the single largest driving force behind our fan base growing at a rapid clip. It is likely that we will be hosting a couple top 25 teams in Williams stadium in the next 10 years. Most of LUs fan base still has a FBS team they are cheering for on Saturdays. Scheduling Wake, VT, UVA, and Duke will help fans with this complex to be "all liberty all day".

Great post. I think it's easy to get spoiled with all the progress the program has made in less than a year. That being said, I'm still baffled by the people on this board who refuse to admit that Independent is turning out better than we ever could have expected.

While I don't think AAC or ACC is happening in the short term, it's funny to read people who were telling us how disastrous being Independent would be, continue their ways of mocking others who have a bigger vision than they have.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:How many top 25 teams will LU host in the next 10-15 years. Here are some of the teams highest season rankings from the past several seasons.

Duke
2013 - 20th
2014- 19th
2015 - 22nd

BYU -
2006-15th
2007-14th
2008-21st
2009-12th
2010-25th
2011-25th
2015-19th

VT
2007-5th
2008-15th
2009-4th
2010-10th
20011-5th
2012-13th
2013-16th
2014-17th
2016-16th

Wake Forest
2006-14th
2007-21st
2008-16th

Syracuse
2001 - 14th

UVA
2007 - 16th
2011 - 24th
UVA scheduling LU surprised me. Getting home games on the books with VT and UVA surprised me. If they honor all of those, that will also surprise me. I wouldn't call Duke Wake or Cuse FB powerhouses BUT they do have the ACC attached to them so that's good
BYU was always a no brainer.
As always the proof will be what happens on the field. And for that to change there is, for better and for worse, going to have to be a seismic shift.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote:To get us back on track.

I think most of us agree, that as long as even/winning seasons happen with these schedules, it's better than the Sun Belt or CUSA. I had considered the AAC as our 10-15 year goal. I hadn't considered another conference shake up that left a vacancy in the ACC. What would have to happen for LU to get ND's ACC contract? Would the Fans want that? Would the school?

This is just from a what if. I don't think it's likely. But we can have some fun talking about a what if.
PH calls that a extreme faith moment. It's call having fun discussing on the subject of LU making a name for themselves down the road. Clearly he doesn't realized that's what I've been implying.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Being FBS Indy is better than the Sun Belt or CAA. There are a lot of us that need to eat crow on this one. Who would have thought the scheduling would be so epic from the beginning ? High Ranking Home game opponents is the major benefit in my opinion. With the scheduling requirements of the Sun Belt, I doubt we would be as flexible, and attractive to these regional ACC schools. If we were in the Colonial , like a large portion of this board wanted, we would never have been able to get FBS home game of any caliber. These Home games for fans will be the single largest driving force behind our fan base growing at a rapid clip. It is likely that we will be hosting a couple top 25 teams in Williams stadium in the next 10 years. Most of LUs fan base still has a FBS team they are cheering for on Saturdays. Scheduling Wake, VT, UVA, and Duke will help fans with this complex to be "all liberty all day".

I said from "Day 1" that we would play some of the "Big Boys".

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
UVA scheduling LU surprised me. Getting home games on the books with VT and UVA surprised me. If they honor all of those, that will also surprise me. I wouldn't call Duke Wake or Cuse FB powerhouses BUT they do have the ACC attached to them so that's good
As always the proof will be what happens on the field. And for that to change there is, for better and for worse, going to have to be a seismic shift.
Its not far fetched to say Duke or Wake could be ranked top 25 when they come to Lynchburg. With large games in town, the locals and alumni are all more likely to increase their commitment to LU football. My prediction is we host 3 games at Williams Stadium against top 25 teams in the next 10 years.

If I remember right, Ian made it clear that he was going to target regional based P5s for home games first, and then he was going to reach out to all P5. So I think we are a long way from the splashy scheduling announcements being complete.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Its not far fetched to say Duke or Wake could be ranked top 25 when they come to Lynchburg. With large games in town, the locals and alumni are all more likely to increase their commitment to LU football. My prediction is we host 3 games at Williams Stadium against top 25 teams in the next 10 years.

If I remember right, Ian made it clear that he was going to target regional based P5s for home games first, and then he was going to reach out to all P5. So I think we are a long way from the splashy scheduling announcements being complete.
Yep. Scheduling any and all Regional P5 is the way to go. It's smart and the guy knows his business.
So you are tossing out 3 Top 25 Teams in 10 years as the Over / Under. I mean I'm a gambler and that's a tempting number. I can see 1. Maybe 2. 3? Hmmmm. So make the number 2.5 and I'll take the Under but not sure how heavily I'd bet it :D

As for Duke or Wake? I dunno. I see your point but when Cutcliff retires is Duke a good job? And wake has more downs than ups.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Over/Under 2.5 home games against FBS top 25 teams over next 10 years ?

Ill take the over, because if Liberty cracks the top 25 in the next 10 years its a lock.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I said from "Day 1" that we would play some of the "Big Boys".
Let the record show that Ballcoach was RIGHT! Purple is just trying to hold onto Ballcoach's coat tails. :oldhag :popcorn
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Over/Under 2.5 home games against FBS top 25 teams over next 10 years ?

Ill take the over, because if Liberty cracks the top 25 in the next 10 years its a lock.
You go with your bad self :koolaid
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I said from "Day 1" that we would play some of the "Big Boys".
Let the record show that Ballcoach was RIGHT! Purple is just trying to hold onto Ballcoach's coat tails. :oldhag :popcorn
Auburn fits that description Ole Miss might. LU already played Wake and I wouldn't say they are a 'Big Boy'. Nor would Syracuse or Duke football fit that description. UVA would be a major stretch but they might be back. And LU already played Tech so that wasn't a reach and they would be the biggest name along with BYU coming to Lynchburg.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think with more big names on the schedule as we progress, while getting Gameday for our first ever FBS home game (or even for the matchup with ODU next year) is the longest of long shots, as these splashy opponents keep coming, i think our chance of getting them to Lynchburg goes up.
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:I think with more big names on the schedule as we progress, while getting Gameday for our first ever FBS home game (or even for the matchup with ODU next year) is the longest of long shots, as these splashy opponents keep coming, i think our chance of getting them to Lynchburg goes up.
I think gameday is more likely for the 2019 opener against Syracuse. They're going to want their big beautiful stadium in it, not cranes.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I think with more big names on the schedule as we progress, while getting Gameday for our first ever FBS home game (or even for the matchup with ODU next year) is the longest of long shots, as these splashy opponents keep coming, i think our chance of getting them to Lynchburg goes up.
I do not see us adding too many more perennial top 25 teams to the schedule for home games in the next 10 years for two reasons.

1) I cant think of a team that it makes sense with like BYU or VaTech

2) We need to schedule winnable games at home. Duke , Wake, Syracuse are much more winnable than a top 25 perennial powerhouse.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
lol. You all are just swimming in kool-aid now.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We can never have too many ACC teams or SEC teams come to Lynchburg. I will bet the farm that Auburn will one day, come to Lynchburg.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:lol. You all are just swimming in kool-aid now.
Ball Coach stays swimming, and I hope you caught the sarcasm font that my post about Liberty being top 25 in 10 years was written in.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Well, a broken clock is right twice a day...
By Class of 20Something
ATrain wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
Well, a broken clock is right twice a day...
A slow clock isn't.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]