Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I don't know if the name told to me a couple of months ago, becomes a reality or not, but if it does,

I will get some eating place in town to cater a meal of crow, and invite several posters to a free meal.

before anyone shoots the messenger, the "name" did not originate on my radar screen.
Don't backpedal now my friend. You said it so go ahead and own it!! Of course, you've obfuscated enough Now that the Assistant Special Teams Quality Control Coach at Colorado would fit your definition
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I mean, I did win 10 National Championships straight on NCAA Football 14...
Last edited by jbock13 on August 11th, 2017, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:I mean, I did with 10 National Championships straight on NCAA Football 14...
I wonder if BJ put that on his resume when he sent it in...
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I didn't...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Chris Turner making a play in scrimmage today. Hope to see more of this during the season:

Chris Turner? I thought he transferred out because we had a "poisonous" football culture. :dontgetit So he is still here? And all those other guys who were lined up to transfer too? Hmm. 8)
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Chris Turner making a play in scrimmage today. Hope to see more of this during the season:

Chris Turner? I thought he transferred out because we had a "poisonous" football culture. :dontgetit So he is still here? And all those other guys who were lined up to transfer too? Hmm. 8)
Seem so flame, however I hope he will realize that this is a second chance to mature characteristically. Also, we'll need all the resources we can get against Baylor and the other games.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thing is, i think he was the only one to change his mind...and thanks for it too
By Ewglenn
Why not get an offensive guy to coach. The spread levels out talent differences at FBS level. You won't win a national championship with a high power spread and no running game but it can make you competitive pretty quickly. Washington State and Mike Leach is a good example. Top 25 team and some decent bowl games but not a playoff caliber team. Realistically y'all are trying to get to bowl games for now and build a name for future conference realignment. Winning 9 games a year will do that.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
flamehunter wrote:Your name should be not be included in the list of qualifications.
That is not the reality of the world we live in. Selecting our next coach is as much about recruiting with a flashy name and marketing "Look at where _____ is coaching" in the news as much as it is about their ability to execute on the field.

Liberty doesn't want to find a diamond in the rough right now. They want to PAY for a coach.
I think that is a question for the AD. Just as a coach needs to be able to evaluate player talent, ultimately the AD must be a good evaluator of coaching talent. There are plenty of "big names" that can't recruit or coach. Likewise, Nick Saban wasn't a "big name" until LSU hired him. Dabo Sweeny wasn't a "big name" (arguably still isn't) until he really turned things around during his interim season.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:Why not get an offensive guy to coach. The spread levels out talent differences at FBS level. You won't win a national championship with a high power spread and no running game but it can make you competitive pretty quickly. Washington State and Mike Leach is a good example. Top 25 team and some decent bowl games but not a playoff caliber team. Realistically y'all are trying to get to bowl games for now and build a name for future conference realignment. Winning 9 games a year will do that.
I'm very offensive maybe I should coach! :flamingdevil :flamingdevil

But the leading (rumor mill) candidates are pretty much noted offensive minded coaches:

ballcoaches Mystery Head Coach from a Top 5 FBS program
Art Briles
Bob Stoopes
Les Miles
By Ewglenn
alabama24 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
flamehunter wrote:Your name should be not be included in the list of qualifications.
That is not the reality of the world we live in. Selecting our next coach is as much about recruiting with a flashy name and marketing "Look at where _____ is coaching" in the news as much as it is about their ability to execute on the field.

Liberty doesn't want to find a diamond in the rough right now. They want to PAY for a coach.
I think that is a question for the AD. Just as a coach needs to be able to evaluate player talent, ultimately the AD must be a good evaluator of coaching talent. There are plenty of "big names" that can't recruit or coach. Likewise, Nick Saban wasn't a "big name" until LSU hired him. Dabo Sweeny wasn't a "big name" (arguably still isn't) until he really turned things around during his interim season.
Dabo is a top 5 coach in college ball right now so yes he is a big name. I would agree when he was hired he wasn't. He wasn't even a coordinator just a wide out coach.
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:Why not get an offensive guy to coach. The spread levels out talent differences at FBS level. You won't win a national championship with a high power spread and no running game but it can make you competitive pretty quickly. Washington State and Mike Leach is a good example. Top 25 team and some decent bowl games but not a playoff caliber team. Realistically y'all are trying to get to bowl games for now and build a name for future conference realignment. Winning 9 games a year will do that.
I'm very offensive maybe I should coach! :flamingdevil :flamingdevil

But the leading (rumor mill) candidates are pretty much noted offensive minded coaches:

ballcoaches Mystery Head Coach from a Top 5 FBS program
Art Briles
Bob Stoopes
Les Miles
Is Stoopes a right fit for liberty's position? Les Miles would be pretty interesting. He'd be our Vince Lombardi if we were the Redskins lol.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
For the record, I have known for a LONG time that Turner was returning. Sarcasm can be hard to pick up on in print, especially for some. My point of course, is that after all the drama, there were only 3 players who announced they were transferring who did not leave with a Liberty degree; Frazier, Brown and Hamilton. Korell Evans also did not return, but no word on why. I'm pretty sure everyone else with remaining eligibility who did not return has graduated. Despite their football talent, I think most of us can agree we are better off without Frazier and Brown. I really don't know about Hamilton, but he wasn't that good. I think I am safe in saying that there are many, many D1 teams who had more attrition this off season than we did with a lot less wailing and gnashing of teeth.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Here's what I believe it would take to get any of those coaches:

Art Briles - $1.5 - 2.5 mil
Boob Stoops - $7 - 8 mil
Les Miles - $6 - 7.5 mil

I'm not sure what our budget is but I would prefer to spend between $1-2 mil for the head coach and around $750k for each coordinator. The good programs do a great job of hiring and retaining quality coordinators.
By cruzan_flame13
VAGolf wrote:Here's what I believe it would take to get any of those coaches:

Boob Stoops - $7 - 8 mil
Les Miles - $6 - 7.5 mil

I'm not sure what our budget is but I would prefer to spend between $1-2 mil for the head coach and around $750k for each coordinator. The good programs do a great job of hiring and retaining quality coordinators.
That's what I'm nervous about, the Briles situation. I'm sure we can agree that they've been other coaches who were involved in controversies and were given another chance. Some were never caught until they've passed away or were not really in the spot light. The thing is LU already receives a lot of criticism primarily because we are a Christian university and a mainly conservative institution I may add. Now I wouldn't be fully shocked if Briles would be next coach, however I would hope he will not be a coach here. If he's meant to be here, then fine. We'll just have to deal with those who whine about it (like nothing this controversial ever happened at their supportive schools) until it dies down. I'll always point out Penn State, because these reporters and CF fanbase have not reacted this seriously on that situation that is still going on(trial) til this day.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:Here's what I believe it would take to get any of those coaches:

Boob Stoops - $7 - 8 mil
Les Miles - $6 - 7.5 mil

Remember money is no object at LU
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The coach whose name was told to me, is not named Briles, Stoops, or Miles. He currently has a job. If he were to come to LU, I think he would get in neighborhood of 3 or 4,000,000. Maybe more, maybe less.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like a coach for Purple or BJ to research. :typing
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The coach whose name was told to me, is not named Briles, Stoops, or Miles. He currently has a job. If he were to come to LU, I think he would get in neighborhood of 3 or 4,000,000. Maybe more, maybe less.
Again, assuming that unicorns exist, PH's farts smell of roses, and your mom is Mother Theresa, the only coach who I could possibly think of is Mike Leach, and that salary is probably what he would demand.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It's not Leach. But I can see why some may think it's him, but He's not on many Top 5 Coaches Lists.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
Give us a hint. Tell us where the coach is from (home town) not where he is coaching.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
My guesses might be Fisher, Shaw, Gundy or Whittingham. Not sure if any or all would be a good fit but just looking at who's been mentioned among top coaches.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:My guesses might be Fisher, Shaw, Gundy or Whittingham. Not sure if any or all would be a good fit but just looking at who's been mentioned among top coaches.
Yeah, we may be able to reel in a fairly high-profile coach, but none of these are coming here. lol
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
While there is some difference of opinion among those who rank such things, the consensus top 5 college coaches seem to be:
1. Nick Saban
2. Urban Meyer
3. Jim Harbaugh
4. Jimbo Fisher
5. Dabo Swinney

The only one of those 5 I can see as a fit at Liberty is Dabo. If that is who ballcoach is talking about, the salary he suggested would mean he would be taking a pay cut to leave Clemson and come to Liberty. I don't see that happening. Highly unlikely he would make that move at any price, but 4 million would not cut it for sure.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]