Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJ explaining sarcasm to ballcoach. :shock: Am I the only one who finds this :rofl ?
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
lawrenceq wrote:Why not stay FCS, move to the CAA and start a yearly rivalry with JMU? :mrgreen:

Not a good idea at all. LU should ignore that JMU even exists. If I were AD, LU would not play them in any sport. As for CAA, being in FBS is better.
Hey, they'd get Rocco every year too. Hmmmm :mrgreen:
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:So JMU's administration is content. But what does it say about the FBS/FCS debate in general that they just won a freakin' NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, and their fan base is so disturbed by LU's transition to FBS that their admins have to issue what is essentially a wet blanket to try to quell the fire?!

(See what I did there with my analogy?)
Let me just say that I have heard for a fact that behind the scenes JMU is DESPERATE to go FBS and they are really not happy that Liberty was able to move up before them. Their public stance does not match their private advances that they are making towards Conference USA. I had a lot of AD's, SID's and even Refs come up to me last week at the CUSA Hoops tournament talking about Liberty Football and how big that move is. Folks are watching. I could see CUSA inviting Liberty someday especially if UTEP leaves to go to a geographically attractive conference like the WCC.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:
JK37 wrote:So JMU's administration is content. But what does it say about the FBS/FCS debate in general that they just won a freakin' NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, and their fan base is so disturbed by LU's transition to FBS that their admins have to issue what is essentially a wet blanket to try to quell the fire?!

(See what I did there with my analogy?)
Let me just say that I have heard for a fact that behind the scenes JMU is DESPERATE to go FBS and they are really not happy that Liberty was able to move up before them. Their public stance does not match their private advances that they are making towards Conference USA. I had a lot of AD's, SID's and even Refs come up to me last week at the CUSA Hoops tournament talking about Liberty Football and how big that move is. Folks are watching. I could see CUSA inviting Liberty someday especially if UTEP leaves to go to a geographically attractive conference like the WCC.
You and I must be talking to different people
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
SCAR wrote:
The nacho guy at the JMU convo center really isn't in the know.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
SCAR wrote:
He serves up better nachos than the LU nacho guy!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
SCAR wrote:
Easily the post of the week!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:The nacho guy at the JMU convo center really isn't in the know.
Maybe the funniest thing that I've read in 2017. :rofl
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Wonder who the first FBS opponent in a new 35,000 seat Williams stadium will be? Coastal, ODU? I'd like for it to be Army. Grand opening of the expanded stadium should draw a big crowd.
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:Wonder who the first FBS opponent in a new 35,000 seat Williams stadium will be? Coastal, ODU? I'd like for it to be Army. Grand opening of the expanded stadium should draw a big crowd.
What does the new grand stand on the student side get us to? We are at what, 19,700 now? The new tower would probably only add 5k. I could imagine them trying to rework their current WF and VT deals into 2&1's. That could help.

Side note: Liberty is learning crowd management. 2016 Season they hired VSP for traffic control. Praise.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Current capacity, I think, is 19,200.
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:I think the new tower adds 6K. IM not sure what a visitors end zone rap would add?
I would imagine the new tower would be suite heavy. Talking like 18-36 suites. It's big money and Liberty is the rare facility that allows the suite to be purchased for just games or for 365 use for events. IM wants to start building a strong booster and alumni base, suites are the way he does it.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Unfortunately the Midshipmen are not an option in 2018 as they are full up. That schedule notes that they have eight AAC games that have yet to be allocated. I could see them working a deal at some point down the road. We would be an easy roadie for the Middies and for our folks as well.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Definitely would be up for a trip to N-MC Stadium for a game...had a few friends that graduated from the Naval Academy (and saw quite a few Middie wins over the Black Knights over the years before last year's Army win
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Don't get your hopes up on Navy. The Middies have exactly one non-con slot open every year once you get past the eight AAC games and the rivalries with Army, Air Force and Notre Dame. They have one opening prior to 2023.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Doesn't matter what year as long as I get a chance to see the Flames in Annapolis (although Army-Navy is on my sports "bucket list")
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote: They have one opening prior to 2023.
Someone needs to give the Commander in Chief a call? :lol:
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:
Chris Lang wrote: They have one opening prior to 2023.
Someone needs to give the Commander in Chief a call? :lol:
Maybe the head of the Higher Education Task Force could say it. Selflessly. On our behalf.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
But 'Merica.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Umm...wouldn't there be a potential issue with separation of powers...just a smidge...maybe?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the additional content, guys.

Right now is prime time for football schedulers. I am so glad that we received the news in time to be in the mix as deals are getting cut to fill non-conference holes in everybody's schedules for years ahead. I suspect we might have to play predator on someone else's misfortune of an opening popping up on their schedule at the last minute. We certainly have been on the other side of that issue in recent years.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
The Missoulian's beat guy tweeted today that the Liberty-Montana series in 18-19 has been nixed. Expected development, but seemingly official now.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]