Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:FWIW, Saban was half-way out the door at Bama and then Texas didn't offer him what he wanted. Obviously, he's not coming here but I think you would be pleasantly (or not-so pleasantly) surprised at who we can reel in. The coach that I would seriously keep an eye on is Mike Leach. Washington is in store for a great season (possibly 12-0 considering their schedule) and Washington State is in a rebuilding mode. He is essentially the Donald Trump of college football, in terms of his unfiltered press conferences, and I believe liberal-based Washington State, would use a 5-7 or 6-6 season to push him out if Washington makes or gets near to playoffs.

He would work for us because he's very offensively minded and it would keep everyone excited, even if our record was mediocre for the first couple of years.

Of course, none of this matters since Art Briles will be our next head coach.
Leach would be fun!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:Just thought I would throw this out there...I can tell you that I have a pretty good source that a previous coach would be very interested if we gave him a call.
Sam R is not walking through that door! Neither is Ken K!!! :D
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Rocco would have come back at one time, if we had a new AD. But that ship has sailed now I suspect, now that he has moved to Deleware. I wouldn't want him back anyway. He was a good coach for us, but he did about all he could do for us. He is/was better than TG.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU is not KState. That's the only school I can think of that rehired a former head football coach. But I believe he also had some type of role at the school in another capacity.
LU was fortunate in rehiring RMK but that was an exception not a rule
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:LU is not KState. That's the only school I can think of that rehired a former head football coach. But I believe he also had some type of role at the school in another capacity.
LU was fortunate in rehiring RMK but that was an exception not a rule
Let's not forget that RMK is not the only basketball coach we rehired. 8)

If and when Gill's time at Liberty is completed, I suspect we will be looking for someone with FBS head coaching experience. Snyder at K State is a unique situation. He was the only coach in the history of their program who found a way to win there. He left on his own terms as best I can tell, and agreed to come back when the program resumed dumpster fire status almost from day one. They began winning again almost immediately. Who knows how he has done it, but I have to say it is impressive.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There is no former LU coach that would ever be asked to return.

The next LU coach will be a "big name".
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:There is no former LU coach that would ever be asked to return.

The next LU coach will be a "big name".
Yes. You've said that. No one doubts they will try.
However, saying he is a Top 5 Coach from a P5 conference is dubious Unless you mean one of the Top 5 coaches in one of the 5 Conference. That expands the pool from 5 to 25. Yet I posted the list of 20 and really didn't see any possibilities
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I sincerely wish I could post the conversation I had on this message board. Then it might make more sense. But out of respect for the coach and his current school, I cannot post it.

But when I punch in 2+2 in my calculator it comes up 4.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUalum12 wrote:Is that a hint? If so it appears Chris Petersen is 4th on the list.
Could be Dabo Sweeney. He was #2
Jimbo Fisher was #2 on the 'second' list
Mike D was #4 on the second list

So.... would you leave TCU Clemson FSU or Michigan St to come to LU :dontgetit
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
LUalum12 wrote:Is that a hint? If so it appears Chris Petersen is 4th on the list.

Maybe start fresh and create an era that has never been experienced at LU? That's the only option (that I could think of at the moment) for this decision.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Ball Coach said he talked with someone that was on staff at LU. I think this is just two dreamers getting together talking about "what ifs" and the time spent trying to figure out who BC15 is talking about is wasted time we will never get back.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have been told that the next LU coach will be someone who is presently considered one of the Top 5 coaches in college football. He is currently coaching at a pretty good Power 5 Conference school. I cannot say who, because I would be shot at high noon if I did.
Here's the quote. Sounds like more than a 'what if'

And most of the time spent here is time we will never get back! Play Basketball
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Maybe start fresh and create an era that has never been experienced at LU? That's the only option (that I could think of at the moment) for this decision.
Which makes. Chris Petsrsen the only viable option. He's probably done all he can do at TCU and the Conference is falling apart around him. Plus he coaches at a 'Christian' School!
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I think you mean Gary Patterson. Chris Peterson is the head coach at Washington.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:I think you mean Gary Patterson. Chris Peterson is the head coach at Washington.
I stand humbly corrected

Yeah I can't see Petersen leaving Washington. But Patterson could leave TCU
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
VAGolf wrote:I think you mean Gary Patterson. Chris Peterson is the head coach at Washington.
I stand humbly corrected

Yeah I can't see Petersen leaving Washington. But Patterson could leave TCU
You don't think players who liked the coach would consider transferring to LU do you? LU is definitely not TCU.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:There are several coaches on Purple's list above that have behavior/sportsmanship issues that would prevent them from coaching at LU.

When this "coach" was first mentioned to me by a LU employee, I disagreed. But when he explained it to me, it made sense.
This is what I was referencing.

An LU employee told him, and then explained why. It doesn't sound like his source has it figured out but its more a theory.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Its worth noting that TCU coach looks like a PGA golfer named Chris Peterson as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:There are several coaches on Purple's list above that have behavior/sportsmanship issues that would prevent them from coaching at LU.

When this "coach" was first mentioned to me by a LU employee, I disagreed. But when he explained it to me, it made sense.
This is what I was referencing.

An LU employee told him, and then explained why. It doesn't sound like his source has it figured out but its more a theory.
Also 'Coach' is in parentheses. So maybe they aren't a coach who is actually coaching at the school they are currently coaching!!! The plot thickens!! :flamingdevil
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Its worth noting that TCU coach looks like a PGA golfer named Chris Peterson as well.
[youtube]iyp9fh-u4w8[/youtube]
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Also 'Coach' is in parentheses.
Actually, outside of Morgantown, the rest of the world calls those quotation marks. :fineprint
2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]