Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here si the official release:
Liberty.edu wrote:NCAA Approves Liberty's Waiver Request for FBS Reclassification Process
February 16, 2017| Lynchburg, Va.|

Liberty University received notification today that the NCAA has approved its request to enter into the Football Bowl Subdivision reclassification process.
Liberty University submitted the waiver with the NCAA in January, requesting relief to enter into the two-year FBS reclassification process without an invitation to join a FBS conference.
Click Here for Full Release
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I figured something was "in the air" when NCAA President was on campus a couple weeks ago.

Remember the day Liberty was founded, Dr. Falwell said, someday we will play and beat Notre Dame.........in Lynchburg.

This is a good move in my opinion. Get out of BSC.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
IF you look at potential scheduling. You have the given in NMSU, FCS, and UMass and the money game. Liberty moving might save Idaho from moving down. You have ODU who has been on record on wanting a rivalry with either Liberty or JMU when one moves up and you have CCU to potentially carry over the rivalry from the BS. UCONN is rumored to be Indy soon too. And fill ins with other G5 schools.
Last edited by ballah09 on February 16th, 2017, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
My son texted me at 3:57 pm "WE'RE GOING FBS!!!" I didn't believe him at first, even though he works for the team, but he had the scoop. I'm still trying to process it.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:IF you look at potential scheduling. You have the given in NMSU, FCS, and UMass and the money game. Liberty moving might save Idaho from moving down. You have ODU who has been on record on wanting a rivalry with either Liberty or JMU when one moves up and you have CCU to potentially carry over the rivalry from the BS. And fill ins with other G5 schools.
Scheduling is going to be interesting. Does that mean the stadium expansion they've kept on hold will proceed?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let's just clear up the timeline quickly with this key section from the news release:
Starting with the 2017-18 academic year, Liberty's football program will begin the two-year FBS reclassification process.

Liberty will compete as a FBS independent during the 2018 season, which includes having three FBS home games. The football program will be bowl eligible starting with the 2019 season and will be required to play at least five home FBS opponents.
  • 2017 - FBS Transitional Year #1 - Not eligible for FCS Playoffs but keeping our Big South schedule
    2018 - FBS Transitional Year #2 - Competing as FBS Independent but not bowl eligible with three FBS home games
    2019 - Full Member of FBS competing as an FBS Independent
This means our schedule shouldn't change at all this fall. But next year we will need to have three home FBS games and then have 5 FBS home games in 2019. Wow.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I would imagine the stadium expansion is going to take place immediately especially if they want any chance of a p5 school coming here.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Awesome!!! :D :football
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Need to get Virginia Tech to come to Lynchburg, once stadium is expanded.

Don't laugh, VT now goes to schools I think they shouldn't.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Here's the paragraph in the release that caught my attention:
The NCAA waiver approval was based upon Liberty providing substantial information demonstrating its readiness to begin the reclassification process, Liberty’s ability to follow current FBS institutions who have demonstrated viability without a conference affiliation and the university’s ability to satisfy FBS requirements.
Essentially, the NCAA is saying that we are ready to move up without a conference affiliation. That is extremely rare, isn't it? And what does that say about the conferences that overlooked us?
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I figured something was "in the air" when NCAA President was on campus a couple weeks ago.

Remember the day Liberty was founded, Dr. Falwell said, someday we will play and beat Notre Dame.........in Lynchburg.

This is a good move in my opinion. Get out of BSC.
In South Bend, but yeah, basically the same thing.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:I would imagine the stadium expansion is going to take place immediately especially if they want any chance of a p5 school coming here.
This. Probably after the 2017 season, but it should be soon. And where is that new awesome video board we were promised?!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I haven't heard anything on the expansion but I wouldn't assume that it happens after the 2017 season completes. We are going to have to get out the checkbook big time the next few years to pay FBS schools to come our way. We need to fill three FBS home dates in 2018 and five in 2019 moving forward. We should be able to simply sign home-and-homes with the other independents like Idaho, NM State & UMass. But other FBS dates will likely require guarantees.

Now is the time for Ian to prove his worth in a tangible way.

The news release does not say whethe ror not the Big South intends to let us stick around for non-football sports. That may require a league vote at the tournament coming up in a couple of weeks. If for some reason they tell us to take a hike, then I suspect we might land in Atlantic Sun. But frankly I think the Big South will let us keep our programs in their league until we find a permanent FBS home.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Turner Gill: I got a big smile on my face and it is a dream come true. To God be the glory!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
flamesfan30 wrote:anyone know if theres a live stream anywhere of the press confrence?
It is on Facebook, Twitter, Periscope and through Liberty.edu
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Turner Gill - It will be a tough opportunity for me. But is going to be a blessing. We have Jesus Christ on our side.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR - We recognized last year that the realignment fo a few years ago had pretty much stopped. When the Big XII decided not to add two teams that realignment would not happen again for a few years. That's when we decided to move forward with waiver request.

He as informed Kyle Kallender that we want to stick around in league for other sports. The presidents of the Big South will have to vote on whether to let us have a waiver to stick around.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
JLFJR - We will continue to seek opportunites to join conferences moving forwar. But we don't see realignment on the horizon any time soon. The TV contracts are not what they used to be. So I don't see a lot of opportunities there in the future.

Ian McCaw - Mickey Guridy will be working the phones right away.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]