Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
So I was dare Say UMass, Coastal, New Mexico State, Idaho and possibly ODU will be teams we play yearly with home and home contracts. There will be one FCS team guaranteed but other than that I am not sure who we will be able to get to come play us at home. Road games will be easy to get so my concern is getting the 5 FBS home games. I'm not sure how that will work. I guess it depends on how much money LU is willing to shell out.

I said this on facebook and I will say it again here; I don't think this is the smartest move in the world but there is a part of me that is really excited. Probably because I am a glutton for punishment.
By Class of 20Something
I just want to take a moment to bask in the idea Buckshot is a senior our first year of bowl eligiblity. That's a heck of a time to make a statement.
By VarsityLu
And I would love to see a yearly scheduling of both ND & BYU. ND home in odd years, BYU home in even years. Away could be the opposite. If ND & BYU did the same thing, we could start our own little three way rivalry. Maybe even have a trophy to pass around like the Illibuc, the Old Oaken Bucket, or the Little Brown Jug. Maybe call it the Holy Grail.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here's a nice summary of Sun Belt possibilities from our old friend Tom in Lazybrook:
CSN Sun Belt Board wrote:Here's the openings for road dates for FBS OOC

USA - None till 2023
App - 2019, 2020. UNC isn't on that schedule though
Ark State - None till 2020
Coastal - plenty of openings. Dumb move to schedule them though. Treat them with 'separation'
Ga Southern - None till 2020
Ga State - None till 2022
Texas State - None till 2020
Troy - plenty of openings
ULL - 2020
ULM - 2020
I certainly would expect us to get something done with Coastal post haste. We had their backs as they headed out the door. So they should be willing to play ball. App & Troy make a bunch of sense as well.

CUSA & MAC will also be hearing from us as quickly as possible. While ODU and Charlotte seem like no brainers, their schedules don't have as many openings moving forward as we would hope.

Let me throw out the service academies as possibilities. Army in particular is likely a top target for our schedulers.
By cruzan_flame13
VarsityLu wrote:And I would love to see a yearly scheduling of both ND & BYU. ND home in odd years, BYU home in even years. Away could be the opposite. If ND & BYU did the same thing, we could start our own little three way rivalry. Maybe even have a trophy to pass around like the Illibuc, the Old Oaken Bucket, or the Little Brown Jug. Maybe call it the Holy Grail.
"Battle for the Holy Grail" between LU and Notre Dame. Genius!!! :football :D
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I am a huge fan of this move, but getting ND to play HERE? lol

I do think BYU is a possibility.

Big, important teams won't be playing here anytime soon. Big, important teams pay other teams (like Liberty) $$$ to play at THEIR home. What does this mean for Liberty? We will gain greater recognition by playing in more visible games against more visible teams. I know there is a group of FF's who believed staying in FCS would be better for us... but outside of a VERY small minority, no one knows who won the FCS this year... or last... or the year before. Liberty will be playing in the "mid majors" of NCAAF, with an occasional P5 team. W00T!
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Turner Gill - It will be a tough opportunity for me. But is going to be a blessing. We have Jesus Christ on our side.
You'll need Him to help y'all with the scheduling as an independent, that's for sure. :D

Kallander is a big enough dunce to try and boot y'all completely, which would be a mistake. Someone mentioned the A-Sun as an option. Been there, done that, if you think KK is inept, go play there. There is a reason that conference can keep nobody in place for any length of time. Not to mention the travel involved...who would be your travel partner, NJIT?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Here's a nice summary of Sun Belt possibilities from our old friend Tom in Lazybrook:
CSN Sun Belt Board wrote:Here's the openings for road dates for FBS OOC

USA - None till 2023
App - 2019, 2020. UNC isn't on that schedule though
Ark State - None till 2020
Coastal - plenty of openings. Dumb move to schedule them though. Treat them with 'separation'
Ga Southern - None till 2020
Ga State - None till 2022
Texas State - None till 2020
Troy - plenty of openings
ULL - 2020
ULM - 2020
I certainly would expect us to get something done with Coastal post haste. We had their backs as they headed out the door. So they should be willing to play ball. App & Troy make a bunch of sense as well.

CUSA & MAC will also be hearing from us as quickly as possible. While ODU and Charlotte seem like no brainers, their schedules don't have as many openings moving forward as we would hope.

Let me throw out the service academies as possibilities. Army in particular is likely a top target for our schedulers.
Could you imagine having Army here for military appreciation day?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:Could you imagine having Army here for military appreciation day?
And in front of 35,000!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Hopefully this will give us a bump in recruiting as well
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Heck, join up with Army and make a push into the MAC if they want to expand, how far is Ohio from Lynchburg, around 5 hours or so?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
ODU athletic director Wood Selig said he was surprised and pleased to hear of the NCAA waiver. ODU played Liberty in 2013, winning 21-17, and at the time school officials expressed a willingness to schedule the Flames if they moved up.

However, ODU's football schedules are full through 2020.

"I’m happy for Liberty," Selig said. "I’m happy for any university that accomplishes the goals that they established for their institution. This has been a longstanding desire for Liberty."
Sucks that a lot of schools are booked in advance but I can't wait to start a rivalry with ODU
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
g-webb1994 wrote:Heck, join up with Army and make a push into the MAC if they want to expand, how far is Ohio from Lynchburg, around 5 hours or so?
Ohio U. is six hours exactly! And Marshall is only 5 hours away. :fineprint
I'm so excited I bought a bucket of KFC for Mrs. Cider and me to celebrate! :pbjtime
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
There is joy in Mudville! My record is clear on this move so I won't :beatinghorse Instead, let us deal with facts on the ground in bullet point fashion

The NCAA granted the waiver because a) they didn't want to get sued and b) LU becomes a plug in place possibility in case another UAB happens
Notre Dame is not coming to Lynchburg anytime soon
Hopefully Turner Gill isn't making any long term purchases. He will be heading into his last season this fall.
Attendance will spike next year as people think 'oh goody, Big Time Football'. It will dip when they realize nothing has changed and the team really isn't playing for anything. In fact they are keeping their best players on the bench so they will be eligible when they theoretically are playing for something
To blunt this effect, LU will have to make a splash and show that it's preparing for the future That means more than adding a few seats. That means adding a name. As in a new head coach: Art Briles
Scheduling is going to be a monster. I can see a consistent diet of Army Navy UMASS ODU and maybe Temple Also, one or two of the Florida Alphabet schools. Will that translate into more than 4 home games a year? :dontgetit
On an unrelated yet related note, still can't cough up the 400,000k for Ivy Lake which LU owns but can sink millions into this
I will buy a meal at 5th and Federal if anyone can cypher the Metallica song I think fits this situation perfectly
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
This is finally done. No more excuses now. It will be interesting to watch recruiting this year. We couldn't get top FCS talent in the region. How will we do now that we've moved up? This staff needs to show something on the trail this year or we need to move on. This is going to be a challenge the next few years anyway but if we are going to need to make a change then do it while we are ineligible for post-season and let the new team get going. This only ups the expectations that we couldn't meet as one of the best funded FCS teams in the country.
No more excuses! Bring it.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
The part that concerns me the most is those that believe "we've arrived." We will have "arrived" when we're playing in a conference, preferably a P5 conference. Make no mistake, today is obviously a good day but there is a lot of work to be done. This is not going to be easy.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:This is finally done. No more excuses now. It will be interesting to watch recruiting this year. We couldn't get top FCS talent in the region. How will we do now that we've moved up? This staff needs to show something on the trail this year or we need to move on. This is going to be a challenge the next few years anyway but if we are going to need to make a change then do it while we are ineligible for post-season and let the new team get going. This only ups the expectations that we couldn't meet as one of the best funded FCS teams in the country.
No more excuses! Bring it.
The recruiting for this season is already over
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanksfully this news comes before the 2018 recruiting season really kicks in. Much like Coastal received a bump from news they were headed to the Belt, we now can leverage our FBS status with the kids who care.
By WinterIsComing
Registration Days Posts
Yay! Despite my personal boycott (no money spent at or on LU), I'm happy about this! Can't wait to watch!

On the other hand Winter (Art Briles) is Coming...like I said almost a year ago.

Let's hope not.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Art Briles? You want big time scandal and probation?

You'll need a program builder that is relatively young and energetic, along with fitting your mold. Back up the Brinks truck and go down to Orlando and talk to Scott Frost at UCF.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
g-webb1994 wrote:Art Briles? You want big time scandal and probation?

You'll need a program builder that is relatively young and energetic, along with fitting your mold. Back up the Brinks truck and go down to Orlando and talk to Scott Frost at UCF.
LU hired Baylor AD. Do you think they care? There is now a new 'mold' at LU

Frost isn't leaving UCF for an FBS Independent
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:You believe in Briles. I'm going to believe in Streeter
Yeah. That will really get LU noticed :roll:
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball