Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: This is what Notre Dame did. A lot of fans hated them because they were able to schedule whomever they wanted. They were envious while hiding behind a "they need to join a conference" blabber. It was pure jealousy. I KNOW we are NOT Notre Dame. But I like trying to emulate what they were able to do and hopefully some day we begin to see some success they had.
Notre Dame had a lot of things going for it that LU doesn't and never will. It's actually a horrible parallel to draw.
How long has ND been around?
How many National Titles does ND have?
How many Broadcast Networks does ND have?
How many Heisman Trophy winners does ND have
How many movies have been made about ND FB?
ND is woven into the fabric of college FB. Right now LU isn't even an iron on decal on a cheap Buy 5 for $20 T Shirt at Myrtle Beach.
Weren't you the one who was talking about recalibrating Expectations?
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I see what you are saying PH but I think he was saying that the thinking is similar. All you say is true but the idea of trying to turn perceived weaknesses into strengths is valid. We have a unique demographic we could attract. Not being tied to an obscure conference with a full slate of must play games could be a plus.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
ASU has some institutional reasons they won't schedule LU. I'm not sure those have been resolved or not.
I've seen this statement made a couple of times. For us neophytes, can you share what the reasons are for App State not wanting to schedule us?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:I see what you are saying PH but I think he was saying that the thinking is similar. All you say is true but the idea of trying to turn perceived weaknesses into strengths is valid. We have a unique demographic we could attract. Not being tied to an obscure conference with a full slate of must play games could be a plus.
That's solid spin right and I applaud your efforts
Teams played ND because of the great exposure it gave them or the history of the rivalry ND played the following teams on a consistent basis before becoming ACC Lite
Army
Navy
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan St
USC
Stanford
Plus various Top 20 and ACC schools
LU cannot hope to duplicate that schedule. And if they did they certainly can't expect to be in a Bowl Game

Another thing LU does have in its favor is the Easy Win factor. For the next several years that's what LU will be. Fans can hope it won't always be. But a school who scheduled an fCS school will now look favorably on scheduling Lu as an easy FBS win and the benefits that come with that
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote:
ASU has some institutional reasons they won't schedule LU. I'm not sure those have been resolved or not.
I've seen this statement made a couple of times. For us neophytes, can you share what the reasons are for App State not wanting to schedule us?
Go to the Sun Belt board. You will see all you need to see
Let's just say they are not big fans of LU's Worldview.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Yet they had no problem scheduling Liberty in 2014. Fans can hate scheduling Liberty all they want but they don't make the decisions.

If anything they are still licking their wounds from the loss they took from an FCS school
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Yet they had no problem scheduling Liberty in 2014. Fans can hate scheduling Liberty all they want but they don't make the decisions.

If anything they are still licking their wounds from the loss they took from an FCS school
If memory serves they 'owed' LU a game so they were contractually obligated to 'Pay or Play'. Again don't go all SLY on me. I said SEVERAL times I hope they are over whatever issues they had and are willing to schedule LU.
(And I'm the one called distracting)
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Well I know they had a brief issue when Doc made the controversial comments regarding 9/11. I'm pretty sure its squashed now as they schedule regularly in other sports as well with the 2014 game.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Liberty22 wrote: This is what Notre Dame did. A lot of fans hated them because they were able to schedule whomever they wanted. They were envious while hiding behind a "they need to join a conference" blabber. It was pure jealousy. I KNOW we are NOT Notre Dame. But I like trying to emulate what they were able to do and hopefully some day we begin to see some success they had.
Notre Dame had a lot of things going for it that LU doesn't and never will. It's actually a horrible parallel to draw.
ND is woven into the fabric of college FB. Right now LU isn't even an iron on decal on a cheap Buy 5 for $20 T Shirt at Myrtle Beach.
Surely you aren't that dense. You are comparing Notre Dame current to Liberty Current. I was comparing the approach Notre Dame Past took that we Liberty Current can try an emulate. The path Notre Dame of old took by embracing independence so they could schedule wherever they wanted, on the road that is, is what helped build their profile. Of course they were able to win some national championships along the way. Not sure we will ever see that in our lifetime but i like the thought process of trying to emulate what they did is all i was saying.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:As posted before and poo poo'd by certain board members here is who I think LU will see lots of over the next few years
Army
Navy
UMASS
Temple
ODU
A Florida Alphabet School
A Sun Belt School not named ASU

BYU I could see as a 2-1 I'm just not seeing the upside for them coming to Lynchburg. Although BYU Lite in in Buena Vista.
LU will most likely be playing more road games than home games for the next couple of years
Not sure I follow on Navy, but I agree on everything else. I think it could be agreed that another CUSA school or more would be in the mix.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Surely you aren't that dense. You are comparing Notre Dame current to Liberty Current. I was comparing the approach Notre Dame Past took that we Liberty Current can try an emulate. The path Notre Dame of old took by embracing independence so they could schedule wherever they wanted, on the road that is, is what helped build their profile. Of course they were able to win some national championships along the way. Not sure we will ever see that in our lifetime but i like the thought process of trying to emulate what they did is all i was saying.
How far back are you going into ND Past? It goes a long ways. They were Independent when most everyone NOT an IVY was Independent. They are literally woven into the thread and fabric of College Football. It would be and is impossible to emulate what they did circa 1920. In fact even now they are a de facto ACC team so they had to join a Conference
If being Independent was so awesome wouldn't more schools do it?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:As posted before and poo poo'd by certain board members here is who I think LU will see lots of over the next few years
Army
Navy
UMASS
Temple
ODU
A Florida Alphabet School
A Sun Belt School not named ASU

BYU I could see as a 2-1 I'm just not seeing the upside for them coming to Lynchburg. Although BYU Lite in in Buena Vista.
LU will most likely be playing more road games than home games for the next couple of years
Not sure I follow on Navy, but I agree on everything else. I think it could be agreed that another CUSA school or more would be in the mix.
Yeah Navy might be tough but they'd be open to any opportunity I'd think due to budgeting issues.
NMSU is one that puzzles me. They are strapped cash wise. So if LU covers their travel costs plus something extra I can see it happening.
LU is going to be burning through a lot of cash. Which is odd considering the direction the University was going in a few months ago with cut backs
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
How far back are you going into ND Past? It goes a long ways. They were Independent when most everyone NOT an IVY was Independent. They are literally woven into the thread and fabric of College Football. It would be and is impossible to emulate what they did circa 1920. In fact even now they are a de facto ACC team so they had to join a Conference
Agreed. More schools don't do it because they don't have the resources to do so. We are different. Which is a big reason most conferences haven't wanted us.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Agreed. More schools don't do it because they don't have the resources to do so. We are different. Which is a big reason most conferences haven't wanted us.
I could go down a list of 15-20 schools with better resources than Lu who could leave their conference and be a viable Independent
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Liberty22 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I could go down a list of 15-20 schools with better resources than Lu who could leave their conference and be a viable Independent
Good for you. If they want to go independent let them. It doesn't change my point that we are uniquely positioned to do this that most other schools can't. Also when i use the term resources, it's an umbrella statement meaning everything. Not just facilities, etc but facilities, money, everything.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
All things being equal it would be a better move to be affiliated with a Conference
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Maybe. Maybe not. As i said, Notre Dame has had a TON of success (from 1920's up) staying out of a conference. With that said, i do think at some point we need to get involved with a conference. Or what if we were able to stay football independent and then re-align our other sports with a new conference. Could you imagine us being Big East in all other sports? Pipe dream but it would be pretty sweet!
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:You guys cool with the ceiling being a conference championship and a bowl game? At least at the FCS level you can compete for a national championship.
Nobody knows or cares who won the FCS "championship" this year or any other year. Whoop de doo. People care slightly more about who goes to the toilet bowl. This move isn't about championships or bowl games.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
lawrenceq wrote:You guys cool with the ceiling being a conference championship and a bowl game? At least at the FCS level you can compete for a national championship.
Nobody knows or cares who won the FCS "championship" this year or any other year. Whoop de doo. People care slightly more about who goes to the toilet bowl. This move isn't about championships or bowl games.
This.

The FCS Championship game being played at 12PM further proves this point. College football fans don't care about the FCS. FCS fans care about the FCS. It's a bubble and a small one comparatively.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
The biggest thing about this is when we do get a conference invite. I'd bet money on it that it will come from a conference better than Sun Belt. Fact is, we are way better positioned for future movement because of this. We will end up in an AAC or CUSA or something like that whereas had we waited, we may always have been waiting or we'd end up in Sun Belt.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Who won the R and L Carrier Bowl? ( no search engines)
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Another great point PH. Who won any of these lesser bowls? No one knows or cares. We shouldn't be doing this for the Humanitarian Bowl invite or the Idaho Potato Bowl. We should be excited to play better teams and eventually win some. Anyone excited about this because of a potential bowl game in Detroit in mid December has the wrong idea.
We do it so that occasionally we could be driving down the road listening to XM College Sports channel and hear them talking about our school and our team like I heard today. That doesn't happen for FCS teams.
Last edited by ALAFlamesFan on February 17th, 2017, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
Who won the R and L Carrier Bowl? ( no search engines)
Don't know, don't care. Great point BUT! I would much rather have UAB, Army, Charlotte, ODU, ASU, BYU, etc. on our schedule, go and lose in the R and L Carrier Bowl than play a big south slate with the potential of a "National Championship" that no one outside the FCS bubble cares about.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]