Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By cruzan_flame13
LUnpretty11 wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
lawrenceq wrote:You guys cool with the ceiling being a conference championship and a bowl game? At least at the FCS level you can compete for a national championship.
Nobody knows or cares who won the FCS "championship" this year or any other year. Whoop de doo. People care slightly more about who goes to the toilet bowl. This move isn't about championships or bowl games.
This.

The FCS Championship game being played at 12PM further proves this point. College football fans don't care about the FCS. FCS fans care about the FCS. It's a bubble and a small one comparatively.
That's a good point. Just like through faith and hard work the small tented Lynchburg Baptist College is now the profound Liberty University, the FBS independent Liberty Flames will become conference affiliated(Probably C-USA, hopefully AAC). Time will tell of course as most have already stated!

P.S. I also have an idea of representing LU with one hand instead of the need to use both hands :lol:
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Another reason this is great for Liberty football? Excitement. There is now excitement again about Liberty football. Will it last more than 2-3 months? Maybe not. Will it last through the 2017 season? Hopefully. But, it is exactly what this program needed after back-to-back abysmal seasons. It's a shot in the arm, we'll see how long it lasts, but it is a very welcomed shot.
By ValleyBoy
Registration Days Posts
Congrats to Liberty football fans. I know this is an exciting times as it was for me when Georgia Southern transitioned from FCS to FBS. I know it has been a long hard road with many roadblock to get to the point Liberty as at today. All I will say is that the road will still be rocky with many potholes but enjoy the journey and keep the faith.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When I started attending LU football games in 2004, one of first things I noticed was that teams visiting Williams Stadium did not bring very many fans. Coastal Carolina brought s few, W&M brought a handful when they came a couple of times. Same for VMI.
As for all other schools, one could probably put all fans combined on one bus.
When the FBS schools come, they will bring more. Some considerably more.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:There is joy in Mudville! My record is clear on this move so I won't :beatinghorse Instead, let us deal with facts on the ground in bullet point fashion

The NCAA granted the waiver because a) they didn't want to get sued and b) LU becomes a plug in place possibility in case another UAB happens
Notre Dame is not coming to Lynchburg anytime soon
Hopefully Turner Gill isn't making any long term purchases. He will be heading into his last season this fall.
Attendance will spike next year as people think 'oh goody, Big Time Football'. It will dip when they realize nothing has changed and the team really isn't playing for anything. In fact they are keeping their best players on the bench so they will be eligible when they theoretically are playing for something
To blunt this effect, LU will have to make a splash and show that it's preparing for the future That means more than adding a few seats. That means adding a name. As in a new head coach: Art Briles
Scheduling is going to be a monster. I can see a consistent diet of Army Navy UMASS ODU and maybe Temple Also, one or two of the Florida Alphabet schools. Will that translate into more than 4 home games a year? :dontgetit
On an unrelated yet related note, still can't cough up the 400,000k for Ivy Lake which LU owns but can sink millions into this
I will buy a meal at 5th and Federal if anyone can cypher the Metallica song I think fits this situation perfectly
Sad but true??
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
lawrenceq wrote:You guys cool with the ceiling being a conference championship and a bowl game? At least at the FCS level you can compete for a national championship.
Nobody knows or cares who won the FCS "championship" this year or any other year. Whoop de doo. People care slightly more about who goes to the toilet bowl. This move isn't about championships or bowl games.
Who won the R and L Carrier Bowl? ( no search engines)
I thought I was fairly clear: people care SLIGHTLY more about who goes to the toilet bowl. This move isn't about bowl games per se. It is about visibility. Liberty may not be playing in games that matter (for a while at least), but they will be playing against TEAMS that matter... at least matter much more than the "blue hose."
By amar0819
Everyone is saying a big school wont come to play anytime soon....How did App St get Miami so soon?? I think it could be a reality that a larger top #25 school could potentially come to LynchVegas
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
I'm sure plenty of people know and care. What folks don't know is what two 6-6 teams played in the Kraft Salad Bowl.
By Redbonebandit
Registration Days Posts
gerb wrote:Something to enjoy this weekend: reading through 16 pages of JMU message-board meltdown.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-809350.html
Thanks for the link! What a year first, Trump now FBS Indy, there maybe something to this rising sea levels stuff with all the snow flakes melting... :D
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:I'm sure plenty of people know and care.
NO THEY DON'T.

*No one knows these schools.
*No one knows these teams.
*No one cares about them.

*"No one" means statistically "zero."
lawrenceq wrote:What folks don't know is what two 6-6 teams played in the Kraft Salad Bowl.
I do contend that more people care about the "Kraft Salad Bowl" (which is considerably better than the toilet bowl), but again, you miss my point. It isn't about the stupid bowl game. I believe OVER half of the bowl games should be eliminated. The point is that week in & week out we will be playing teams that do matter, more than the once a year that we do now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kolzilla41 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:There is joy in Mudville! My record is clear on this move so I won't :beatinghorse Instead, let us deal with facts on the ground in bullet point fashion

The NCAA granted the waiver because a) they didn't want to get sued and b) LU becomes a plug in place possibility in case another UAB happens
Notre Dame is not coming to Lynchburg anytime soon
Hopefully Turner Gill isn't making any long term purchases. He will be heading into his last season this fall.
Attendance will spike next year as people think 'oh goody, Big Time Football'. It will dip when they realize nothing has changed and the team really isn't playing for anything. In fact they are keeping their best players on the bench so they will be eligible when they theoretically are playing for something
To blunt this effect, LU will have to make a splash and show that it's preparing for the future That means more than adding a few seats. That means adding a name. As in a new head coach: Art Briles
Scheduling is going to be a monster. I can see a consistent diet of Army Navy UMASS ODU and maybe Temple Also, one or two of the Florida Alphabet schools. Will that translate into more than 4 home games a year? :dontgetit
On an unrelated yet related note, still can't cough up the 400,000k for Ivy Lake which LU owns but can sink millions into this
I will buy a meal at 5th and Federal if anyone can cypher the Metallica song I think fits this situation perfectly
Sad but true??
Good effort. I can see where your mind is at. Off by 1 studio album
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
NO THEY DON'T.

You might be right, but I know a lot of folks who couldn't name a conference outside of the Power 5. :oops:
By Class of 20Something
lawrenceq wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
NO THEY DON'T.

You might be right, but I know a lot of folks who couldn't name a conference outside of the Power 5. :oops:
Maybe, but liberty will be sharing the field with a P5 school 3 maybe 4 times a year within as many years. That exposure alone is worth gold. How many people watched Masha struggle at Lane last year? 60k in the stadium and how many more on TV. Doing that 3 or 4 times per year just tripled our brand recognition in a season. Now throw in 8 G5 schools and it adds up quickly. What's the following for I dunno, Marshall vs jmu or Richmond? A 38k stadium and TV radio fans just with a CUSA team? Our reach is about to skyrocket because we will soon become a household name. We build off the fanbase of everyone watching football already. If we can scratch the surface of the 6 hour recruitment circle, Liberty could rise quickly.
By ValleyBoy
Registration Days Posts
amar0819 wrote:Everyone is saying a big school wont come to play anytime soon....How did App St get Miami so soon?? I think it could be a reality that a larger top #25 school could potentially come to LynchVegas
Miami needed to schedule an additional FBS game during the middle of the season for the following year. AppSt was the only team that could change there own schedule to play Miami on the date that would work for Miami.
Miami had to except the terms that AppSt asked in order for the game to take place. AppSt had Miami between a rock and a hard place. Miami had to play AppSt under the conditions set by AppSt because the only other option they had was to schedule a second FCS team which was unexceptionable to Miami.

In other word AppSt was at the right place at the right time.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
ValleyBoy wrote:In other word AppSt was at the right place at the right time.
Indeed they were. If App State hadn't made the move and remained FCS it would never have had the opportunity to play Miami at home when the opportunity arose.
Last edited by LUminary on February 17th, 2017, 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Before everyone gets distracted again and SLY has to come back and send us to bed without supper...

What are your expectations for LU now that they are FBS? When will you expect Bowl Games? ESPN (not ESPN3) coverage? P5 coming to Lynchburg and how often? Conference affiliation?
Everyone seems to be getting distracted by abstract. Let's see some concrete speculations!!
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
Will Turner Gill and company will try to sign a few more recruits to take advantage of the increase in scholarships?
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
To me, the FCS vs FBS argument boils down to competing at the highest level that you possibly can. That should always be the goal. The lineup of opponents will be better, and that should be appealing to players, staff and fans.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
LUminary wrote:To me, the FCS vs FBS argument boils down to competing at the highest level that you possibly can. That should always be the goal. The lineup of opponents will be better, and that should be appealing to players, staff and fans.
You guys win. I didn't really get it at first but I do now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUminary wrote:To me, the FCS vs FBS argument boils down to competing at the highest level that you possibly can. That should always be the goal. The lineup of opponents will be better, and that should be appealing to players, staff and fans.
I can't disagree entirely with the first part but let's set expectations. What is The Highest Level LU can? Are LU fans expecting to be in the College Football Playoffs? That's as high as you can go. Now that LU is FBS the caliber of opponent should certainly improve but will LU's performance? LU has not looked good against comparable opponents at the FCS level, and has only a handful of wins at the FBS level. Will LU fans be content playing and beating the Georgia St and Charlottes of the world ?

IMO, the best thing that can happen is for LU to get scooped up by a Conference in the next 2 years. Personally, I think it's possible. It's the only way this move pays off IMO.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
If the Big South keeps our other sports...I could see an oppertunity about 4 or 5 years down the road where we might be able to get a football only invite into the conf. usa or mac or something like that.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I think I read somewhere the MAC and AAC has never "invited and transitioned" a FCS team into their conference ?
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
I can't disagree entirely with the first part but let's set expectations. What is The Highest Level LU can? Are LU fans expecting to be in the College Football Playoffs? That's as high as you can go. Now that LU is FBS the caliber of opponent should certainly improve but will LU's performance? LU has not looked good against comparable opponents at the FCS level, and has only a handful of wins at the FBS level. Will LU fans be content playing and beating the Georgia St and Charlottes of the world ?

IMO, the best thing that can happen is for LU to get scooped up by a Conference in the next 2 years. Personally, I think it's possible. It's the only way this move pays off IMO.
By "competing" at the highest level I mean participating at the highest level. Now I hope we are competitive in the sense of being capable of winning. But there's no guarantee that will happen. It's always a risk, but winning at the next level is doable and I'd hate to think we didn't try because of fear of failure. I hear what you're saying about expectations. True enough. But, worst case, if we're going to get beat I'd rather it be by FBS programs than Big South programs. And just because we haven't had the greatest of success at the FCS level doesn't mean we can't achieve in FBS. Not many FCS programs have a lot of wins against FBS competition, and they won't because of the scholarship discrepancy. So that's not a good measure. Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather play Charlotte and Georgia State, and definitely Army and Marshall, (and eventually a more appealing opponent at home, which I think will happen sooner than later) than who we play now.

I definitely think we will be able to hold our own against G5 programs. If we go 1-11 or 3-9 or 0-12 indefinitely at the next level, then maybe I'll alter my thinking. But I don't think we will and I'm glad we're not afraid to try. It's a BHAG (I hope everyone gets that reference, and remembers the source).

Totally agree on the conference part. Hopefully this move as an Independent, which indeed will present some challenges, will expedite that.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]