Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:You have fun with your youtube videos. I said typed gestures, not links to youtube. That part of my response was skipped over. Anyway, on to the other folks who actually discuss some valid points/opinions about LU's FBS status.
Smart move. Leave the field of battle and declare victory
Whatever makes you sleep well at night. In the words of Twain, "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:You have fun with your youtube videos. I said typed gestures, not links to youtube. That part of my response was skipped over. Anyway, on to the other folks who actually discuss some valid points/opinions about LU's FBS status.
Smart move. Leave the field of battle and declare victory
Whatever makes you sleep well at night. In the words of Twain, "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
Shania is easy on the eyes but I don't think she said that

[youtube]eVvjKA22MYs[/youtube]
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
TRIGGERED
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Alan York's interview with Solomon McGinty:

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 28&TeamID=

It was interesting to hear how hype our players and those transferring are for the next season. What I truly liked about this interview was Solomon's response about others reaction (mostly FCS schools) on us transitioning to the FBS. I think you guys will like this interview and it should support how worthy is next season's outcome for the future of the program (recruits, moral, fans,etc.)
He's a very impressive young man based on this interview. Good choice for captain.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
C'mon, don't let yourself get defined by the forum title. A lot of things can get discussed on these boards. You just need to think outside the box. A dream is a wish your heart makes and all that stuff. Anything can happen if you let it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
C'mon, don't let yourself get defined by the forum title. A lot of things can get discussed on these boards. You just need to think outside the box. A dream is a wish your heart makes and all that stuff. Anything can happen if you let it.
[youtube]A0sgwz-f-u4[/youtube]
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Its obvious the staff has decided that offering more kids is the way to go.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Its obvious the staff has decided that offering more kids is the way to go.
I understand that Football and Basketball recruiting is apples and oranges, but I do find this veritable flood of offers an interesting contrast to the approach McKay has taken, where he is choosing a minimum number of players he believes are a fit from a basketball and a team/university standpoint and focusing all his staff's efforts on those few. It has been highly successful, but I have doubts that it would work in football.
By Class of 20Something
oldflame wrote:
R i wrote:Its obvious the staff has decided that offering more kids is the way to go.
I understand that Football and Basketball recruiting is apples and oranges, but I do find this veritable flood of offers an interesting contrast to the approach McKay has taken, where he is choosing a minimum number of players he believes are a fit from a basketball and a team/university standpoint and focusing all his staff's efforts on those few. It has been highly successful, but I have doubts that it would work in football.
Basketball has it's identity.

Football just doesn't yet. In 5 years, when our name is out there, our scholarships are full again, and we have a strong base of 3* recruits, maybe we settle down into the 150-175 range. Until then, we all want the talent here, let's not be the fanbase that complains when we get what we want.

It's got to feel a little hot for some of our starters. This years juniors are about to have to truly compete in 2018 with a plethora of 3* freshmen that can compete out of the gate. We are about to see an upheaval of our roster and the names we recognize in the next year. Let's see what TG can do with a more talented class.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Giving this staff a lot of premature credit for the verbals we have seen so far.

I hope your right by all means, I am just not seeing it yet.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
oldflame wrote:
Basketball has it's identity.

Football just doesn't yet. In 5 years, when our name is out there, our scholarships are full again, and we have a strong base of 3* recruits, maybe we settle down into the 150-175 range. Until then, we all want the talent here, let's not be the fanbase that complains when we get what we want.

It's got to feel a little hot for some of our starters. This years juniors are about to have to truly compete in 2018 with a plethora of 3* freshmen that can compete out of the gate. We are about to see an upheaval of our roster and the names we recognize in the next year. Let's see what TG can do with a more talented class.
While I appreciate your optimism, we are still waiting for the first commit from all these offers we have made recently, and most of them have several options. This will be the first summer of recruiting to an FBS schedule and with the IPF and some other attractive new things on campus for recruits on visits to be impressed by. Let's see how many of those 3 star guys at least make verbals before we talk about them taking jobs from our upper classmen.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
In fairness, it's still pretty early for commitments. Based on Sly's list, of the 115 we have offered thus far, only 7 have committed anywhere (all to other schools) and 2 of those are BYU commits we offered AFTER they verballed to the Mormons, meaning we think they are still in play.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Good Info there oldflame. It is still early for the commitments. We have seen a huge increase in caliber of offers, should be a fun summer.

Handing out more offers seems to be the new norm. Fuente up at VT and Mendenhall at UVA have dramatically increased their number of offers this year as well.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
In recent years schools have started to hand out offers like candy. One reason is to put pressure on for early commitments. They offer far more scholarships than they have available.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
And we may never have more available for any year than we do for 2018 with the bump in the transition. I'd rather at least get int he mix for these top tier players than not even toss them an offer. If we get 3 or 4 of the first 100 offers we will be off to a terrific start.
By Class of 20Something
Sly Fox wrote:And we may never have more available for any year than we do for 2018 with the bump in the transition. I'd rather at least get int he mix for these top tier players than not even toss them an offer. If we get 3 or 4 of the first 100 offers we will be off to a terrific start.
Have we ever pulled 3 3* recruits in a single season?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I know I am stating the obvious, but it is relevant. Never before has a recruiting class been this exciting for us as fans because it is the first class that we can tell them, WE ARE FBS. Now, in recent years lots of higher talents have told us, "take a hike" because of the FCS tag. We are in unfamiliar territory as an FBS and something tells me we will get some program changing players in the next 1-3 years due to this change as well as being the player that put LU on the map.

Exciting times are here!
By Footballfan
Have we ever pulled 3 3* recruits in a single season?[/quote]

Yes - most recently Class of 2012 and Class of 2015 ( sorta )

3 STARS
DJ Abnar – RB
Darrin Peterson – WR
Aharown Campbell – OL
Dallas Griffiths – LB

3 STARS
Damien King – WR
Christian Morgan – TE – ( Transfer )
Denvre Daniels – WR/RB
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I know I am stating the obvious, but it is relevant. Never before has a recruiting class been this exciting for us as fans because it is the first class that we can tell them, WE ARE FBS. Now, in recent years lots of higher talents have told us, "take a hike" because of the FCS tag. We are in unfamiliar territory as an FBS and something tells me we will get some program changing players in the next 1-3 years due to this change as well as being the player that put LU on the map.

Exciting times are here!
I am not convinced about the "take a hike" narrative. To me it is an excuse/cop out, for not recruiting elite athletes like we did in the 80's. I guess we will find out soon enough. Hope I am 100% wrong. First time for everything. :mrgreen:
Last edited by flameshaw on June 15th, 2017, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Class of 20Something
Liberty Football just tweeted that the incoming class is at TGs house playing Xbox and ping-pong. It looks like 7 or 8 guys there and a really close setting to get to know the coach. I don't know how common that is among coaches, but TG is definitely the right kind of guy for the job here. I hope he can right the ship and prove us all wrong.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I guess that run to the right play works great on Xbox :)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
A 4-2 with Tech is not bad
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]