Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As for future schedules, a deal has been reached with a SEC team to visit Williams Stadium. I do not know school or season, but it will happen.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
lawrenceq wrote:The AD and his team did a great job putting things together. Kudos to them. It's all on the coaching staff now. Will they deliver?
No and Briles will be on the phone soon...
Are you serious? Briles a good coach but I don't see him being the head coach of any program in the near future. Facto!
By Ewglenn
ballcoach15 wrote:As for future schedules, a deal has been reached with a SEC team to visit Williams Stadium. I do not know school or season, but it will happen.
Vanderbilt is my guess
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
VAGolf wrote:I am going to be in "wait and see" mode with IM until the Baylor situation is resolved. If he comes out clean, I will be his biggest fan. If he doesn't come out clean, there needs to be some sort of action taken...regardless of the results produced.

With that said, he has done incredible job thus far. The schedule for 2018 looks fantastic, 2019 is coming along together nicely as well. I suspect that in the coming years, the schedule will only improve. I would prefer to be in C-USA instead of being an independent, but I am starting to see A LOT of positives to our current status. Looking back, it's funny that we were ever frustrated with not being invited by the Sun Belt. We would not have the schedule we have for next year, if had been invited to the SBC.

The one "negative" that I've heard thrown around lately is that we have no bowl tie-ins. To which I say, "Who cares?" A good majority of these bowl games are unwatchable and most of them struggle to garner 50% attendance. Last year, we saw a number of high-profile NFL draft prospects simply skip bowl games. Regardless of your position on that issue, it's not going away and you will only see an increase this year. Outside of boosters, and college football purists, very few care about the bowl games. And IF bowl games are so important, you've seen what IM has done with our schedule. Is it really all that crazy to believe he could negotiate a bowl tie-in with our school specifically?
Whether or not he helped quash rape investigations has no effect on how he can effectively operate the business side of college athletics. What he is doing is Sport Management 101. Apparently he is being allowed to do what others have not
Yeah. Piece of cake. :roll: Have you considered the possibility that the reason others were "not allowed" to put together an FBS schedule was that WE WEREN'T AN FBS PROGRAM?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
VAGolf wrote:I am going to be in "wait and see" mode with IM until the Baylor situation is resolved. If he comes out clean, I will be his biggest fan. If he doesn't come out clean, there needs to be some sort of action taken...regardless of the results produced.

With that said, he has done incredible job thus far. The schedule for 2018 looks fantastic, 2019 is coming along together nicely as well. I suspect that in the coming years, the schedule will only improve. I would prefer to be in C-USA instead of being an independent, but I am starting to see A LOT of positives to our current status. Looking back, it's funny that we were ever frustrated with not being invited by the Sun Belt. We would not have the schedule we have for next year, if had been invited to the SBC.

The one "negative" that I've heard thrown around lately is that we have no bowl tie-ins. To which I say, "Who cares?" A good majority of these bowl games are unwatchable and most of them struggle to garner 50% attendance. Last year, we saw a number of high-profile NFL draft prospects simply skip bowl games. Regardless of your position on that issue, it's not going away and you will only see an increase this year. Outside of boosters, and college football purists, very few care about the bowl games. And IF bowl games are so important, you've seen what IM has done with our schedule. Is it really all that crazy to believe he could negotiate a bowl tie-in with our school specifically?
Whether or not he helped quash rape investigations has no effect on how he can effectively operate the business side of college athletics. What he is doing is Sport Management 101. Apparently he is being allowed to do what others have not
Yeah. Piece of cake. :roll: Have you considered the possibility that the reason others were "not allowed" to put together an FBS schedule was that WE WEREN'T AN FBS PROGRAM?
Have you considered that I was speaking in terms of more than just schedule. ?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Shout out to TH Spangler for catching this news:

We have assumed all along that we would have UMass, NM State and Army on the schedule as much as possible moving forward. This gives credence to those assumptions. I would expect moredates with both UMass & NM State to be announced as other dates on all three of our schedules clear up where the final holes are in our years to come.

The buzz surrounding how we were able to fill 2018 and most of 2019 in just three months has led to more speculation that other schools might be able to make FBS Indy work for them. It may not lead to additions to that world, but at least folks know it is viable.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:...led to more speculation that other schools might be able to make FBS Indy work for them. It may not lead to additions to that world, but at least folks know it is viable.
JMU...cough...JMU??? 8)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It's better to play Auburn and lose, than to play Gardner Webb and win, if you are "dreaming big".
By willflop
ballcoach15 wrote:It's better to play Auburn and lose, than to play Gardner Webb and win, if you are "dreaming big".
Or lose to Gardner Webb followed up by a squeaker win in OT.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:...led to more speculation that other schools might be able to make FBS Indy work for them. It may not lead to additions to that world, but at least folks know it is viable.
JMU...cough...JMU??? 8)
JMU would seem to be the one school that has things in place to be granted an exception to go FBS-Indy like we were, but I highly doubt they will want to go that route. They do not face the obstacles we did for a conference invitation. They have already (wisely) rejected the SBC, but at some point someone else will step up. I believe their preference would be the MAC, but they don't seem interested in expanding, and especially with anyone who has the resources to "pose a threat" to all their financially strapped programs. C-USA or even the AAC are probably more likely.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JMU could shut down and it would not bother me, other than people losing their jobs. That is one school I have no love for.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:JMU could shut down and it would not bother me, other than people losing their jobs. That is one school I have no love for.
Jig is up. We all know you're a closet JMU and Coastal fan.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:JMU could shut down and it would not bother me, other than people losing their jobs. That is one school I have no love for.
Yeah, we know. Now ask us if we care. :roll: :roll:
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
Jig is up. We all know you're a closet JMU and Coastal fan.
Don't forget Longwood :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:All in all, Longwood is worst D1 school in NCAA.
There you go again. Based on what? Not your favorite sport, that's for sure. Conference champs again. They aren't the worst overall in the BSC based on the Sasser cup standings. That would be Presbyterian, who by the way DOES have a football team.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
"Niagra Falls ( :x ) . . step by step" . . . . (for all you old timers)!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Longwood beat #25 Ohio State 3-1 and USC-Upstate 4-2 in girls softball. Is ballcoach happy for a Big South school? I doubt it. :fight

http://www.longwoodlancers.com/news/201 ... path=sball

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2017/5 ... o-longwood
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Upsets happen. I was hoping LW would lose 2 games and have a quick return trip to Farmville. There's better teams in Lynchburg this week than was in Knoxville. (not counting Tennessee)
By gerb
Worth a read:

https://sportspolitico.com/2017/03/04/l ... -it-means/
Liberty joining the FBS level is a historic milestone for the untraditional way the Flames joined, but also being the first private institution to do it. Despite the nearly 40 year history of FBS and over two dozen schools upgrading in the past, no private institution has ever upgraded to this level, until now.
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry defeated […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]