Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Can we get Art Briles reaction to the signees...... Study
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
any surprises? Hard to have time to go through all the threads.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
prototype wrote:any surprises? Hard to have time to go through all the threads.
No need to go through all the threads. Read our Signing Day Primer and Signing Day Live Blog. Done.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I am not overly impressed with this year's recruiting class. We have 2 guys with no other D1 offers, 2 guys that were recruited only by HBC's and one guy who is recovering from ACL surgery. Very few DL and OL and that is where the games are won/lost, especially in FCS and have been areas of weakness for us in the recent past.
Hope that I am wrong and have underestimated our incoming talent, but don't see it. How do we lose a 3* recruit to Furman? I can understand losing him to a FBS school, but Furman? SMH.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:I am not overly impressed with this year's recruiting class. We have 2 guys with no other D1 offers, 2 guys that were recruited only by HBC's and one guy who is recovering from ACL surgery. Very few DL and OL and that is where the games are won/lost, especially in FCS and have been areas of weakness for us in the recent past.
Hope that I am wrong and have underestimated our incoming talent, but don't see it. How do we lose a 3* recruit to Furman? I can understand losing him to a FBS school, but Furman? SMH.
This is what happens when you have an unsettled coaching situation
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Near in mind that he committed 1/21 then flipped to Furman 9 days later two days before signing day so I don't think that this was about the coaching situation. That's just my opinion on the matter though
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Im not as down on the class as others. Had we have hung on to lewis and murray i think this would be our top class. I do think we needed another o lineman and d lineman though there wasnt really anything they could do with lewis backing out so late. After watching jacksons tape and boyds im up on each of them more than initially. Also both had lots of late movement on them. Best to me is the big steal. The minute i posted about him a week or so ago and saw his tape i compared him to chris turner though i think he can be better.
Last edited by jinxy on February 1st, 2017, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:I am not overly impressed with this year's recruiting class. We have 2 guys with no other D1 offers, 2 guys that were recruited only by HBC's and one guy who is recovering from ACL surgery. Very few DL and OL and that is where the games are won/lost, especially in FCS and have been areas of weakness for us in the recent past.
I know I'm stating the obvious here but Furman had an undefeated regular season, ranked very high in the polls and eventually was taken down (their only loss) in FCS playoffs. They seem to be building on a great 2016 season.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Jinxy beat me to it. Best has a lot of potential. Yes he tore his ACL but so did Chris Turner, Libertys best DB.

Chima, Guillory, and Holloway were all last min offers and they turned out well. Minus Guillory getting kicked off the team. I wouldn't knock off the only scholarship players.

I think the class turned out very well. A lot of guys with MAC and Sun Belt offers. Lewis was the only wtf. De commit for furman. Just hope one of these linebackers finally pan out. All this talk about defensive line but the linebacker play has been awful.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Totally agree. Lewis was a big loss but we have talent at d line. Not sure we have that talent at linebacker which is why mcginty is moving to lb. Hopefully they can find 2 decent linebackers
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
I know I'm stating the obvious here but Furman had an undefeated regular season, ranked very high in the polls and eventually was taken down (their only loss) in FCS playoffs. They seem to be building on a great 2016 season.

Uhh...furman finished 3-8...#factcheck
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I think he was confusing them with the citadel. Furman has gotten beaten up by the big south in recent years. If im not mistaken they they have 5 or 6 L"s against the big south in the last 3 to 4 years...a couple to gdub and presby i believe
Last edited by jinxy on February 1st, 2017, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
Chippy wrote:
My bad! I was thinking about The Citadel - big difference. You are right, Furman!!!

Uhh...furman finished 3-8...#factcheck
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Somebody today mentioned in a sort of mockery kind of way that, "we signed a DB who tore his acl". Yes, we did and we did a couple years ago and that kids name was Chris Turner. Who has now become a ball-hawk at corner and has NFL potential according to some scouting notes out there. Keith Best is a STUD and the the work ethic that he has will allow him to get back on track and be possibly the best defensive back we have EVER had at LU. Kentucky loved this kid and his work ethic.

Gill has continued to bring good recruiting classes since he has come here. This class is no different. We get so concerned with how many stars does he have? Or who gave him offers? Instead we need to just trust the coaches and what they are looking for.

With that said, I am concerned that we did not address the O-Line situation in this recruiting class. Yet, I don't know how many possible transfers that Coach Gill has been talking to. I am excited to see what this class does for us on the field. #FlameGang17
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We return I believe 13 even after Holder grenaded the bridge on the way out of Lynchburg
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]