Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I wanted to go ahead and get a thread started discussing the expectations for the 2017 season. Yes, I know it's early but I think there's really not much going on here until the conference tournament begins. I don't want this to be about predictions as much as how expectations relate to Gill's job security.

We can probably all agree that missing the playoffs would/should lead to a termination. However, what if we make the playoffs? Is that enough? CSU is basically in shambles at the moment, KSU really shouldn't compete with us and there's not really a truly competitive team in the rest of the conference. Besides Baylor and Jacksonville State, there's really not a team on our schedule that we should lose to. With that said, what is the minimum performance you would accept in order to be content with retaining TG?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I love TG. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's not LU's coach in 2018 regardless of the outcome of 2017
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Agreed barring a run to Frisco
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Agreed barring a run to Frisco
Even THAT. And I'm his biggest fan on this board. And I think it would be a horrible move. If it also appears the writing is on the wall
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
9-2 with at least one win in the playoffs. But I agree that his time on the mountain may be short, unless something major happens.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I think it's easy to make that prediction PH, but I don't foresee that happening.

Sure, the bar is going to be set incredibly high, but I think it would be really difficult to fire him IF we made it past the second round of playoffs. Again, think about the news/excitement that would be generated by us being there. I think it would be difficult to overcome that and fire TG, again based on that hypothetical.

However, to your point, JFJR and McCaw have shown no signs that they care about publicity.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:I think it's easy to make that prediction PH, but I don't foresee that happening.

Sure, the bar is going to be set incredibly high, but I think it would be really difficult to fire him IF we made it past the second round of playoffs. Again, think about the news/excitement that would be generated by us being there. I think it would be difficult to overcome that and fire TG, again based on that hypothetical.

However, to your point, JFJR and McCaw have shown no signs that they care about publicity.
Winner winner chicken dinner. This is a new Era for LU Athletics. If it were up to me TG would be coach at LU for as long as he wanted and LU was competitive (but at about 450 a year). But it's not up to me. A playoff run will position him nicely for a new job somewhere else with the help of Ian and Ian can bring in a Big Name hire to 'Ignite The Flames'. Gee, who could that be?
By Class of 20Something
Isn't this Coach Gill's last year of his contract? Can colleges do incentive laden contracts? If they were to redo a contract, $300k base with $150k in incentives could be reasonable. I think it's time to move on, but for the right price we could do a lot worse.

I want to see us build a player, develop a player from raw talent. I like getting these three star recruits, but it's like dogs chasing cars. We don't know what to do with them once we catch them. Buckshot played respectably last year, but ultimately at least 300 yards were left on the field last season because his pass was too hot for our receivers. How many times did guys get hit in the hands only to have it zoom out the back?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Need to get into playoffs and make some type run. JMU went from losing in first round, to winning it all in 2 seasons.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Isn't this Coach Gill's last year of his contract? Can colleges do incentive laden contracts? If they were to redo a contract, $300k base with $150k in incentives could be reasonable. I think it's time to move on, but for the right price we could do a lot worse.

I want to see us build a player, develop a player from raw talent. I like getting these three star recruits, but it's like dogs chasing cars. We don't know what to do with them once we catch them. Buckshot played respectably last year, but ultimately at least 300 yards were left on the field last season because his pass was too hot for our receivers. How many times did guys get hit in the hands only to have it zoom out the back?
I believe he has 3 years left on his deal.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Expectation - Quarterfinals appearance (or better).
Reality - We lose in the first round of the playoffs

"When expectations and reality don't match up, disappointment ensues". - Dr. Johnny Hunt

Expectation cont - Liberty has a new coach for 2018
Reality - HCTG is the coach for 2018

"When expectations and reality don't match up, disappointment ensues". - Dr. Johnny Hunt

Edit* - I love HCTG and respect him as much or more than any other coach in the country. But it is time to move on.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Defense should be very good. Offense has weapons. Oline has been crappy the past few years and I don't see that changing. I really don't think this offense is best suited for buck either. With the play calling consisting of Running up the middle on first and second down with a shoddy oline. I expect a first round playoff loss. Ksu should be the only bs challenger.

I'm with ph. I think Gill isn't a mccaw guy. no matter what results he might produce I think he's gone after this year.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I expect no less than 8-9 wins...depends on our final mystery opponent that has not been identified yet
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We must change the play calling. We have to stop running up middle so much. Most of the time, running up middle on first/second down is a wasted play. Be creative on offense. get ball to playmakers in space. Throw in some "trick plays". Keep defense guessing. Get defense spread out, then attack.
Running off right tackle 2 times for 3 or 4 yards, than facing 3rd and long is not good.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:... Running off right tackle 2 times for 1 to 2 yards, than facing 3rd and long is not good.
FIFY
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'm not guaranteeing a win but for expectations to be met, it's gonna have to be one
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Liberty proved two years ago the only guarantee game on the schedule is St. Francis (PA). Nothing else is a guarantee.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Congress, and everything else in D.C., is a corpor[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]