Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
I didn't really see a thread that this fit in, so I figured we could discuss what coaches will be on the sidelines for 2017.

HC - TG
OC - Dailey
QB - Dailey
RB - Brown
WR - DeArmon
TE - Downing
OL - Stamn

Looks like no changes to the defensive side of the ball. No final word on who is responsible for ST, but my guess it will be Downing again and go unchanged.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:I didn't really see a thread that this fit in, so I figured we could discuss what coaches will be on the sidelines for 2017.

HC - TG
OC - A. Briles
QB - K. Briles
RB - Brown
WR - DeArmon
TE - Downing
OL - Stamn

Looks like no changes to the defensive side of the ball. No final word on who is responsible for ST, but my guess it will be Downing again and go unchanged.
FIFY
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'll take npretty's word for it, but there are no changes to the on line staff listing

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 8&TeamID=9

I believe RB is Brown's preferred position to coach Normally I would say having TE instead of RB should allow Downing to focus more on special teams, but we only have Fautz back there, so he will probably have some young guys to coach up DeArmon having his first shot as a position coach with the WRs is an interesting move as is going with Stamn at OL The fact that all these changes are in house tells me this is likely temporary

Actually there is one change on line Paul Rutigliano is listed as recruiting coordinator :shock:
By KingsKId
This is legit. I have confirmed it Multiple folks in the tower. Further evidence that TG has a free hand to continue the downfall of LU football. He fires a guy who has coached the o-line at Nebraska, Fresno State, and been a head coach to move our demoted OC from 2 years ago to become the OL coach. He moves Ron Brown to RBs so that he can promote a QC who has never been a full time coach to coach the WR's. If it is not apparent that our program is in a free fall, then you have no idea of where this program was when TG took it over. He was given more resources than any coach in FCS football and inherited a program on solid footing. What has he done, hire all his friends, have three 6-5 years and regress. We were led to believe he wanted to go out and get a OL coach with a successful proven track record. Instead he moves Stamn yet again and hires his golfing buddy Kyle DeArmon as our new WR coach. Nothing against those guys, but the reality is that TG has a free pass and he knows it. He hires his buddies because there is no accountability. He told the staff that his three years remaining are going to be honored no matter what. Grant Teaff's grandson is on the staff so TG knows he is going no where. Sad state of affairs.
By Jonathan Carone
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Did we announce changes and I missed it?
No official announcement yet.
Interesting. I'm disappointed he's not bringing in an OL coach but I'm excited for Kyle to get a shot as a full fledged assistant. The staff could've used new blood just to change things up a little.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
KingsKId wrote:This is legit. I have confirmed it Multiple folks in the tower. Further evidence that TG has a free hand to continue the downfall of LU football. He fires a guy who has coached the o-line at Nebraska, Fresno State, and been a head coach to move our demoted OC from 2 years ago to become the OL coach. He moves Ron Brown to RBs so that he can promote a QC who has never been a full time coach to coach the WR's. If it is not apparent that our program is in a free fall, then you have no idea of where this program was when TG took it over. He was given more resources than any coach in FCS football and inherited a program on solid footing. What has he done, hire all his friends, have three 6-5 years and regress. We were led to believe he wanted to go out and get a OL coach with a successful proven track record. Instead he moves Stamn yet again and hires his golfing buddy Kyle DeArmon as our new WR coach. Nothing against those guys, but the reality is that TG has a free pass and he knows it. He hires his buddies because there is no accountability. He told the staff that his three years remaining are going to be honored no matter what. Grant Teaff's grandson is on the staff so TG knows he is going no where. Sad state of affairs.
It may be legit, but that does not mean this will be our staff next Fall, or even for Spring practice Way too big a deal being made about Teaff's grandson I don't even know who he is, but there is no way his being on the staff has any impact on decisions at the top
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:You're right. Clearly nepotism has never had a place at Liberty University.
Grant Teaff is not family in any way or form He is a person Jerry trusts and consults with occasionally concerning athletics The idea that we would keep Gill for one day longer than otherwise based on his grandson being a low level staffer is beyond stupid There are plenty of jobs Jerry could give the guy if he is hurting for work

If you want to talk about nepotism in football 2 names come to mind, and there has been a fascinating connection between them in regards to these coaching changes

Skalaski
Rutigliano
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The problem isnt stamn. No idea on his line coaching abilities but hes a good recruiter and was a much better o coordinator than dailey. Count me among the dissappointed in not bringing an actual o line coach. Im actually surprised at the committs so far and the quality talent that were in on. Makes you think they may be giving gill more than a year
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
With the coaching carousel just getting ramped up I can see some of those positions and titles changing.
Not sure what Rutigliano connection to recruiting is but if it works it works. Hopefully it doesn't involve a lot of talking
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Don't worry guys our athletic department is in good hands. A guy with a proven track record to really have a good pulse on what's going on in his department.

Oh wait a minute...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Don't worry guys our athletic department is in good hands. A guy with a proven track record to really have a good pulse on what's going on in his department.

Oh wait a minute...
:flamingdevil
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:With the coaching carousel just getting ramped up I can see some of those positions and titles changing.
Not sure what Rutigliano connection to recruiting is but if it works it works. Hopefully it doesn't involve a lot of talking
Paul has filled a lot of different roles during his 2 seperate 10 year tenures at Liberty, spanning 4 head coaches He was recruiting coordinator for 3 or 4 years when his father was the HC

Speculating (as always :wink: ) but my guess is McCaw has put on a hiring freeze until he can evaluate the program Per his interview with Roth, he is getting a bit of a delayed start with FB because TG has been away recruiting The current changes are probably stop gap measures using existing staff to keep the trains running until Ian has gotten up to speed with where things are Ultimately I would think at the least we will hire replacements for OL and Recruiting Coordinator
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:With the coaching carousel just getting ramped up I can see some of those positions and titles changing.
Paul has filled a lot of different roles during his 2 seperate 10 year tenures at Liberty, spanning 4 head coaches He was recruiting coordinator for 3 or 4 years when his father was the HC

Speculating (as always :wink: ) but my guess is McCaw has put on a hiring freeze until he can evaluate the program Per his interview with Roth, he is getting a bit of a delayed start with FB because TG has been away recruiting The current changes are probably stop gap measures using existing staff to keep the trains running until Ian has gotten up to speed with where things are Ultimately I would think at the least we will hire replacements for OL and Recruiting Coordinator
Which is pretty much what I said in my first sentence

As for Rutigliano......
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Wth the changes in Waco right now, I suspect some coaches with connections to our AD might be available to make the move east to Lynchburg. But this is silly season for coaches. I suspect the budget is influencing these temporary decisions on the football staff as referenced by others.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Wth the changes in Waco right now, I suspect some coaches with connections to our AD might be available to make the move east to Lynchburg. But this is silly season for coaches. I suspect the budget is influencing these temporary decisions on the football staff as referenced by others.
We know there will be at least 1 Briles available
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm pretty sure Paul has likely been overseeing the admin side of recruiting since before last season.
He's a lifer and 'Mansion Hire'. Every staff will find a position for him
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Paul's official title is Assistant AD for Football Administration, which would lead one to believe he technically may not even answer to the Football Coach
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Paul's official title is Assistant AD for Football Administration, which would lead one to believe he technically may not even answer to the Football Coach
I think it's safe to say his job is not dependent upon the football coach
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]