Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This is certainly not good news for our new OL coach (or the entire team for that matter)

I'm sure there will be conclusions jumped to on this, especially with his making a somewhat cryptic reference to "external factors" but he was pretty clear that his reasons are first academic and secondly football related Lucas already holds 2 degrees from Liberty From a career standpoint, a 3rd from the same school would be less than optimal I also wouldn't be surprised if he gets some interest from FBS programs, which could improve his chances at getting a look from the NFL

As a grad transfer, of course, he will be able to play immediately

God bless you Lucas in all your future endeavors and thank you for your contribution to Liberty Football!
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote:I'm sure there will be conclusions jumped to on this, especially with his making a somewhat cryptic reference to "external factors" but he was pretty clear that his reasons are first academic and secondly football related
You still believe public statements?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Don't know or care why he's transferring. I'm impressed he has 2 degrees in 3.5 years!! Good for him and best of success in your future
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Don't know or care why he's transferring. I'm impressed he has 2 degrees in 3.5 years!! Good for him and best of success in your future
Amen to that

We are seeing more and more of this from the really good students who are athletes Ashley Riniger from our WBB program left with 3 degrees in 5 years She could have transferred and gotten that second Masters degree somewhere else, which might have looked better on her resume when she applies for a job with the FBI, but she decided to stay at Liberty
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Don't know or care why he's transferring. I'm impressed he has 2 degrees in 3.5 years!! Good for him and best of success in your future
Amen to that

We are seeing more and more of this from the really good students who are athletes Ashley Riniger from our WBB program left with 3 degrees in 5 years She could have transferred and gotten that second Masters degree somewhere else, which might have looked better on her resume when she applies for a job with the FBI, but she decided to stay at Liberty
The turmoil in the Administration shouldn't detract from what is going on down on the field and court and classroom, although I know it will. I think it's great when kids do this thing. If it's not fun to play anymore and you've squeezed out everything you can educationally then fly young eagle fly!!! (What is that? 10 on the corny factor?)
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Very impressive classwork and thats to be commended. However, i dont think we lose much on the field. He was injury prone and played soft to me. Biggest asset was versatility. I think this is a positive because it will only make it more obvious that the staff needs to pick up a couple juco or fbs transfers on the line.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
All I will say jinxy is FBS/JUCO transfers are not a panacea. The new OL coach will have 13 returning linemen potentially plus one verbal commit and we have I think three uncommitted linemen currently as we are inside of two months from signing day 2017
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Couldn't disagree more on Holder the player We were a better team with him playing the key role of center He was also the snapper on place kicks, and our protection was better with him in there than the previous year when our long snapper Winstead filled in

BSC voters apparently disagree too He was second team all conference

Injury prone wow OK Yeah good riddance :roll: :roll:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:All I will say jinxy is FBS/JUCO transfers are not a panacea. The new OL coach will have 13 returning linemen potentially plus one verbal commit and we have I think three uncommitted linemen currently as we are inside of two months from signing day 2017
Signing Freshmen is no panacea either. What's your point?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:All I will say jinxy is FBS/JUCO transfers are not a panacea. The new OL coach will have 13 returning linemen potentially plus one verbal commit and we have I think three uncommitted linemen currently as we are inside of two months from signing day 2017
Signing Freshmen is no panacea either. What's your point?
80% of Freshmen OL are redshirted It may be THE hardest position to transfer from HS to D1 football
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My point is we can't put all our eggs in FBS/JUCO being the answer to our O-Line situation...we can't put all our eggs in freshmen either (as I said, we only have one currently committed for 2017). Our answer probably lies in a combination of the two of some sort.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:My point is we can't put all our eggs in FBS/JUCO being the answer to our O-Line situation...we can't put all our eggs in freshmen either (as I said, we only have one currently committed for 2017). Our answer probably lies in a combination of the two of some sort.
Wrong

If our OL play improves substantially it will be because we have a lot of young players who got experience this season, a couple of potential starters coming back from injuries and 4 Freshmen who redshirted and hopefully will be ready to contribute A new coach may help, although personally I don't believe that was the problem
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Good luck and God bless. Sounds like an accomplished guy.

Next year's line can't help but be better than this year's. We will be ok.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
2nd team all conference is impressive huh. The conference has 2 programs and a 2nd year start up. All im saying is losing him is not going to hurt that much. I watched the line play closely and all i can say is i dont think hes hard to replace. He was hurt multiple times the last 2 years and missed multiple games. He wasnt the only one. As usual bj misses the point. The point is we need a couple guys that are ready to challenge for time right now and this only makes that more obvious.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
True story one of the trainers or gas tweeted to him saying I hope your new home doesn't involve as much time in the training room ha.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Its rare I know but what's to say that under the new coach, a freshman doesn't come in and blow them away and make a case to not be redshirted and can be an immediate contributor? You can't only look to FBS/JUCO transfers all the time for...as you put it
jinxy wrote:a couple guys that are ready to challenge for time right now
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
No coincidence Lucas has been my kids roommate his whole time here at Liberty from when both came early after high school to now living off campus together.

Great kid, hope his next landing spot really works out for him (already know where). Who's next.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Its rare I know but what's to say that under the new coach, a freshman doesn't come in and blow them away and make a case to not be redshirted and can be an immediate contributor? You can't only look to FBS/JUCO transfers all the time for...as you put it
jinxy wrote:a couple guys that are ready to challenge for time right now
Still missing the point BJ :roll: I would love it if we got a stud FBS transfer because he would likely be a starter and an "upgrade" at 1 position, allowing us to redistribute and possibly upgrade at others A JUCO transfer like Lozano this year could help as well, and of course there is the outside chance a FR could contribute like Crawford did this year (although if we had been healthy he would not have seen nearly the number of snaps he did) That would all be "gravy" The meat and potatoes of a resurgent OL next year will need to come from the 6 returning players who saw action this year, 2 returning from injury and 4 R-FR Since the last couple of games of last season we have lost 2 projected starters (arguably our 2 BEST) to retirement and transfer The new OL coach's job has gotten harder for sure
Last edited by olldflame on December 2nd, 2016, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Most assuredly olldflame...the job will be harder but the cupboard certainly will not be bare for the new coach. I guess jinxys comment sounded like an FBS/JUCO transfer was the ONLY option which may be why I missed the point.
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Let any of them go that want to. Most all can be replaced. 6 and 5 last 2 years...
Idiotic statement to say the very least, but hey I'm sure they thank you for ur support...smh
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We could fire gill tonight and lose a third of the roster and bring a new coach in who recruits a new third and still win 5 or 6 games easily like we have for the better part of 20 years other than karcher years
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
According to Damien in today's N&A, Holder is going to Western Illinois.
Lucas Holder, who shined as a starter on Liberty’s offensive line each of the past two seasons, announced Friday afternoon he will transfer to Western Illinois and play as a graduate student for the Leathernecks.

“The family and community oriented atmosphere of the citizens of Macomb, Illinois, the opportunity to play in the Missouri Valley Conference, and the chance to earn a top-flight degree was too momentous of an opportunity to turn down,” Holder wrote in a statement on his personal Twitter account.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]