Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By KingsKId
Dennis Wagner is the winner of this year's "TG scape goat" award. He has been fired to make it appear as if TG is actually doing something. Last year it was Stamn's demotion that was going to cure all of our ills. Unfortunately our problem is systemic. By the way, I realize that it is at least a worthy discussion as to if a change was needed at that position, however in typical TG fashion, he is missing the big picture. I know I dare not say this but could you not argue perhaps it is our defensive leadership that at least needs to be reviewed? We were all told by that leadership that they were excited abut this year's defense because we were going to pair a good DL with a much improved secondary since they were all a year older. If you check the performance of our defense in every big game over the last three years that we have lost, it doesn't paint a pretty picture.
2014= UNC 56-29, Indiana State 38-19, Richmond 46-39, CSU 38-36
2015= WVU 41-17, CSU 31-24
2016= Jax State 48-14, CSU 48-26, Coastal 42-7 (CSU and Coastal did their damage with 3rd and 4th string QBs)
As you can see, it would appear the defense is regressing, against FCS and Big South competition. The point not being to necessarily put it on all the defense, but to put it where the reality is, on the fact that under TG's leadership this program is trending in the wrong direction. On the brighter side, TG informed the assistant coaches on Saturday that the reward for their 3rd 6-5 season in five years is that they are all receiving new 2 year contracts with guaranteed salary through 2018 and he himself has a contract for three more years. That is what happens when you have the prez in your pocket. Margeuax Gill, apology accepted, was more right than anybody cares to admit.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Maybe he will hire Bennie Hinn to coach the offensive line, because miraculous healing is the only thing that would have solved our problems there this year

Not a fan of this move at all
By Jonathan Carone
I would agree with letting Wagner go.

I obviously don't agree with extensions for anyone and have a hard time believing that happened given their salaries and Jr's feelings about our recent lack of success.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Maybe he will hire Bennie Hinn to coach the offensive line, because miraculous healing is the only thing that would have solved our problems there this year

Not a fan of this move at all
It's been an issue for 2 seasons. This season, especially at Tech, it was an embarrassment
Injuries, transfers, etc may have played a part but still. The benchmark would be 'did the players they did have get better?' Apparently that answer was No
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
KingsKId wrote:Dennis Wagner is the winner of this year's "TG scape goat" award. He has been fired to make it appear as if TG is actually doing something. Last year it was Stamn's demotion that was going to cure all of our ills. Unfortunately our problem is systemic. By the way, I realize that it is at least a worthy discussion as to if a change was needed at that position, however in typical TG fashion, he is missing the big picture. I know I dare not say this but could you not argue perhaps it is our defensive leadership that at least needs to be reviewed? We were all told by that leadership that they were excited abut this year's defense because we were going to pair a good DL with a much improved secondary since they were all a year older. If you check the performance of our defense in every big game over the last three years that we have lost, it doesn't paint a pretty picture.
2014= UNC 56-29, Indiana State 38-19, Richmond 46-39, CSU 38-36
2015= WVU 41-17, CSU 31-24
2016= Jax State 48-14, CSU 48-26, Coastal 42-7 (CSU and Coastal did their damage with 3rd and 4th string QBs)
As you can see, it would appear the defense is regressing, against FCS and Big South competition. The point not being to necessarily put it on all the defense, but to put it where the reality is, on the fact that under TG's leadership this program is trending in the wrong direction. On the brighter side, TG informed the assistant coaches on Saturday that the reward for their 3rd 6-5 season in five years is that they are all receiving new 2 year contracts with guaranteed salary through 2018 and he himself has a contract for three more years. That is what happens when you have the prez in your pocket. Margeuax Gill, apology accepted, was more right than anybody cares to admit.
Well, when the offense goes 3 and out the defense does tend to tire more quickly
By Jonathan Carone
I'm a Wimbo homer so I have trouble looking at him objectively. I know the defense has had issues. My questions about them are:

1) How much is scheme?
2) How much is recruiting/development?
3) How much is the lack of tackling in practice?
4) How much is it the lack of an offense?

It is likely a combination of all four, but I think it's safe to say the offensive side of the ball has more known answers.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm a Wimbo homer so I have trouble looking at him objectively. I know the defense has had issues. My questions about them are:

1) How much is scheme?
2) How much is recruiting/development?
3) How much is the lack of tackling in practice?
4) How much is it the lack of an offense?

It is likely a combination of all four, but I think it's safe to say the offensive side of the ball has more known answers.
Upgrading on the offensive side will be a LOT easier
I do believe Gills no tackling policy contributed to the number of long runs we gave up
By Jonathan Carone
I get the no tackling policy in the pros. Those guys are professionals. We play FCS football meaning the majority of our guys weren't good enough to play at the highest level of football. Practice time is short enough as it is. It only makes sense that our guys who already have limitations practice the fundamentals on a regular basis. Part of football is tackling.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I'll believe in Wimbo once he figures out how to stop a spread/option orientated team. Past couple of year both Kennesaw St and CSU put up big numbers against his defense. Its pretty much a given any team that runs that offense will have 150+ yards rushing.

and I really hope the extensions aren't true.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It will be interesting to see if they make an official announcement on this and if so whether he "resigned" or was "relieved of his duties" The latter would be a dead giveaway that this was a scapegoat move
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I saw on the SoR piece that he's been with Gill since day 1 at LU. That had to be a tough conversation
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think this entire staff except for Brown has been with Gill all five years.
Almost
Scott Downing replaced Jamaal Hobbs as RB coach and Special Teams Coordinator this year
Also Bryant Lewllyn transitioned from player to coach, but technically was here the whole time
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Hate to see him fired, but we probably had worst o line in college football this past season. Normally I do not even notice o line because I focus on QB. But lack of blocking jumped out at me.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Hate to see him fired, but we probably had worst o line in college football this past season. Normally I do not even notice o line because I focus on QB. But lack of blocking jumped out at me.
You have a bad habit of making extreme statements like this Our OL did not perform well this year, but you don't win 6 football games if you are the worst in the country at that position
By Wvflame2013
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Hate to see him fired, but we probably had worst o line in college football this past season. Normally I do not even notice o line because I focus on QB. But lack of blocking jumped out at me.
You have a bad habit of making extreme statements like this Our OL did not perform well this year, but you don't win 6 football games if you are the worst in the country at that position
Or a good qb, rb, and receivers made up for one of the worst lines.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Wvflame2013 wrote:
olldflame wrote:
Or a good qb, rb, and receivers made up for one of the worst lines.
LU has a good QB, a solid stable of RB's and very good WR's. Rumor even has it there is a TE on the roster
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
You could have the best talent in FCS at skilled positions You don't win 6 games if your OL is the worst in the country

ballcoach says stuff like that a lot I hate it because neither he or anyone else has seen every team play to make that judgement He once said our basketball team had the least talent in D1 That was the team that went on to win the BSC tourney The tourney run was somewhat of a fluke, but that team should have won more games during the regular season They had a stable of big guys and 2 shooters (who happened to get hot at tourney time)
By Jonathan Carone
forbidden wrote:as much as yall wanna claim, maybe the OL didn't wanna play for him, hmmmm? but what do I know.
You also seem to think the majority of the team doesn't like any of the coaches.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
forbidden wrote:as much as yall wanna claim, maybe the OL didn't wanna play for him, hmmmm? but what do I know.
You also seem to think the majority of the team doesn't like any of the coaches.
That does seem to be the trend with his posts.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, who do we hire

The first name that came to mind is Mike Godsil
4 year starter at C for Liberty
TE coach at W&M (3 or 4 years I think)
2 years HS Head Coach

Gill likes to hire former players He gave Bryant Lewellyn a job coaching our DTackles straight out of college Pretty much the same with Kyle DeArmon Mike was on campus during camp, and I believe spoke to the team

I believe he has lost quite a bit of weight since his playing days, but I wouldn't be surprised if he can still bench press more than anyone we have
Last edited by olldflame on November 24th, 2016, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Correct Jon I had already fixed it I thought or UR first for ovvious reasons, but actually Mike was at W&M before Rocco left LU

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]