Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
I would love Mike back on campus. I don't know his reasons for leaving W&M. I know he has at least three kids and possibly a fourth and they're all pretty young. It wouldn't surprise me if his decision was to go to HS to spend more time with them. If that's the case, it may be a tough sell. Then again, with what we're paying, it may be worth it.

Regardless of if he ever comes on staff here, Mike Godsil is one of the best guys to ever play for us.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I would love Mike back on campus. I don't know his reasons for leaving W&M. I know he has at least three kids and possibly a fourth and they're all pretty young. It wouldn't surprise me if his decision was to go to HS to spend more time with them. If that's the case, it may be a tough sell. Then again, with what we're paying, it may be worth it.

Regardless of if he ever comes on staff here, Mike Godsil is one of the best guys to ever play for us.
I would think the main issue with a young family would be the recruiting trips, but the pay has to be probably 3 times what a HS coach makes
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think it would be the trips as well...with all those kids so young, you don't want to miss out on these formative years in their lives.

I also agree that Mike was one of the best to play for us...the man was probably the smartest and toughest center we ever had
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
With little kids, you make choices. With the full support of your wife and their mother, it can be done.
By forbidden
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
forbidden wrote:as much as yall wanna claim, maybe the OL didn't wanna play for him, hmmmm? but what do I know.
You also seem to think the majority of the team doesn't like any of the coaches.
for all the things ive said that is not one of them, and you should know most of what I speak is only going to be facts.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
In regards to Forbidden or other posters, telling us how credible Forbidden is, I will use one of his own most memorable lines ,

"December cannot come soon enough"
By TerraCottaGamer
There are some salty people in this forum! Did you guys get some bad turkey?

One thing we can all agree on is that the OL was a hot mess this year right from the start. But so was the DL and it was arguably worse. So why Singletary is still around is a question I would like answered.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TerraCottaGamer wrote:There are some salty people in this forum! Did you guys get some bad turkey?

One thing we can all agree on is that the OL was a hot mess this year right from the start. But so was the DL and it was arguably worse. So why Singletary is still around is a question I would like answered.
You're still new. You'll get used to us!

If you go down the list the OL was the weakest link on the team by far.
The defense was fine. Frustrating but fine. Would love to see more pressure on the QB as opposed to 'bend but don't break' philosophy. But for now being able to contain the option would be acceptable
By TerraCottaGamer
Purple Haize wrote:

The defense was fine. Frustrating but fine. Would love to see more pressure on the QB as opposed to 'bend but don't break' philosophy. But for now being able to contain the option would be acceptable

I don't think the defense was fine when we gave up 55, 48, 48 and 42 in 4 of the 5 losses. That is not fine. That is getting rolled. However, in their defense (pun intended) the offense was 3 and out all day in all of those games thus putting a great amount of pressure on the D.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TerraCottaGamer wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

I don't think the defense was fine when we gave up 55, 48, 48 and 42 in 4 of the 5 losses. That is not fine. That is getting rolled. However, in their defense (pun intended) the offense was 3 and out all day in all of those games thus putting a great amount of pressure on the D.
Which is why they were fine.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
"Relieved of duties" There you have it Dennis Wagner is the official scapegoat for the 2016 LU football team If he had been given the standard option of "resigning", Gill would not have been able to say he addressed the OL problem by replacing the coach
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
There also might have been some contractual language that would benefit him being relieved as opposed to resigning
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:There also might have been some contractual language that would benefit him being relieved as opposed to resigning
That is possible It also may have to do with unemployment benefits Either way, it looks better for Turner
By Jonathan Carone
I don't think the press release language impacts the contract. Women's soccer last year resigned and their assistants are still getting paid.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don't think the press release language impacts the contract. Women's soccer last year resigned and their assistants are still getting paid.
But I'm pretty sure the assistants didn't resign That whole thing is still a mystery to me, but thankfully, it looks like our new coach is the real deal

It's the HR paperwork which would impact the contract, but the wording of the release, if it is accurate, pretty much tells you what that was
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The head coach only resigned in name.
And it was clearly not performance related, based on her record, especially her last 3 years
By Jonathan Carone
forbidden wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
forbidden wrote:as much as yall wanna claim, maybe the OL didn't wanna play for him, hmmmm? but what do I know.
You also seem to think the majority of the team doesn't like any of the coaches.
for all the things ive said that is not one of them, and you should know most of what I speak is only going to be facts.
I never said you were wrong or not credible, just that you seem to think many of the players don't like a large amount of the staff.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I think the 2 coaching hires Gill has made during his tenure were both upgrades, especially Downing Both RBs and special teams took signifacent steps forward IMHO Brown has an awesome resume and is dynamic, but I still see too many drops and plays where our receivers are not getting separation against press coverage Blocking has improved, which is nice, but I'm not so sure that's what you want to hang your hat on as a WR coach

If I were an up and coming OL coach I would be all over this job Barring another rash of injuries, the guy they hire will have a much deeper and more experienced and talented group to work with than Wagner had this year If he does a solid job, he could end up looking like a genius
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote:Gill should be on a very hot seat next year. Teams with far less are doing better
Really :dontgetit

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]