Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Dirty 30
LUnpretty11 wrote:This is a solid schedule! Favors an at-large bid nicely, when we lose the BSC to CSU again.
LUnpretty 11, we will not lose to CSU again. The DC just left and everything is about to hit the fan with the NCAA shortly. The ship is starting to sink-Head Coach gone and now DC gone!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU an At-Large Bid :rofl :rofl :rofl
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:This is a solid schedule! Favors an at-large bid nicely, when we lose the BSC to CSU again.
LUnpretty 11, we will not lose to CSU again. The DC just left and everything is about to hit the fan with the NCAA shortly. The ship is starting to sink-Head Coach gone and now DC gone!
First, I want to say I love the fact you post on this board. (not sarcasm - please keep posting, I/we appreciate your insights/comments)
Second, you are probably right about the status of the CSU program.
Third, in typical Liberty fashion, LU will lose to CSU come 11/18/17
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:LU an At-Large Bid :rofl :rofl :rofl
I hope this means you were literally rolling on your floor laughing when you posted this...

I guess it all depends how good St. Francis is this year. Could be a tough battle in Williams Stadium on 9/30. Sarcastic font

My comment about at-large was very much in jest, but it is a realistic possibility. We're in at 8-3 (lose to CSU or KSU) and this schedule makes that possible.
By Dirty 30
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Dirty 30 wrote:
First, I want to say I love the fact you post on this board. (not sarcasm - please keep posting, I/we appreciate your insights/comments)
Second, you are probably right about the status of the CSU program.
Third, in typical Liberty fashion, LU will lose to CSU come 11/18/17
I am going to hold you this statement LUnpretty 11, I hope your wrong my friend! :BS
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote: I am going to hold you this statement LUnpretty 11, I hope your wrong my friend! :BS
I hope I'm wrong too! I hope the team that steps on the field in September 2017 is a totally different one from 2016. However, it is in Liberty's nature to lose the games when everything is on the line. I know we have had numerous discussions around this in other threads, so I am not starting it again, but I am not confident that LU will go undefeated in conference play. CSU seems to be the biggest threat, although KSU is right there too.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well I don't think the self fulfilling prophecies help things either you two...
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Any more word? I think the schedule is announced at the signing day event in the evening and while we have all of our dates, that mystery opponent is still...well...a mystery
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well we can start with the jokes about becoming an affiliate of the Northeast Conference because our last opponent is Duquesne...and I'm upset with Jon too
By cruzan_flame13
BJWilliams wrote:Well we can start with the jokes about becoming an affiliate of the Northeast Conference because our last opponent is Duquesne...and I'm upset with Jon too
Looking at the schedule, I would hope that we can go 10-1, however looking at the past two seasons under Gill might probably make us 8-3. With that being said, I hope that the team make it to the semi- round of the playoffs (anything is possible). :P
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
We will lose at least 3 games IMVVVVVHO. We have 6 home games and 4 of them totally suck. The only two that will be half decent MIGHT be the Indiana State game and that would only be if they bring famous alum, Larry Bird, to do free autographs and KSU.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Setting aside the references to the Hick from French Lick, Indiana State proved to be a quality team last season. That should be a good test for us early on. But you are correct that the Kennesaw State may be the key matchup of our season.
By Class of 20Something
Walked on campus last week for some exercise and to see the construction up close and was walking through the Bill while the guys were goofing around with some 7on7s. Buckshot looks better. Like effortless better in his throwing. Players getting hit in stride on all types of routes. Most notably was his long ball was pinpoint accurate. 40 yards in the air and fell into the hands of receivers.

If we can get a pocket for the man to stand in, I am excited for this season. Buckshot has the raw ability for professional ball. Let's hope we can tap into that here. I'd like for him to get some recognition for it. Having a 3* WR can't hurt either. We might just win games through insane offensive productivity.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Duquesne will not be a gimme. They had the top freshman running back in the nation, AJ Hines. New QB Brett Brumbaugh (redshirted last year as a frosh) was a two time 2nd team All-Americal and two time state player of the year - has every HS record in Western PA - he's a good one. His senior year he threw for 46 TDs and close to 4000 yards. Plus they get a lot of D1 transfers.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Kennesaw State will be our homecoming game again
Last edited by BJWilliams on February 3rd, 2017, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rtb72
It looks like a schedule which we can easily justify getting to post season play from. IF, we play up to our talent. I also think if is the type of schedule which IF we don't make the playoffs.....pretty much speaks volumes regarding our coaching staff.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Finally got rid of the 2 fbs teams. Ive made the argument for 2 years that that should be the route we take. Much more manageable and reasonable with where we are currently.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:It looks like a schedule which we can easily justify getting to post season play from. IF, we play up to our talent. I also think if is the type of schedule which IF we don't make the playoffs.....pretty much speaks volumes regarding our coaching staff.
Either way this will be the current coaching staff's last year. I would place money on it. And I'm the biggest HCTG fan on the board by far
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
rtb72 wrote:It looks like a schedule which we can easily justify getting to post season play from. IF, we play up to our talent. I also think if is the type of schedule which IF we don't make the playoffs.....pretty much speaks volumes regarding our coaching staff.
Either way this will be the current coaching staff's last year. I would place money on it. And I'm the biggest HCTG fan on the board by far
I tend to agree, but for probably a different reason. TG has not done anything dynamic since he arrived here. Yes, we did make the playoffs for the only time, but mostly with Rocco's players. There was no reason we should have lost to Villanova, we had that game won and bad decisions inside the 5 yard line cost us TD's twice.
I have been a big fan of TG until last year. We have under-performed woefully the last 2 years. He doesn't have the personality required to coach/motivate a great FCS team. My guess is, that with Barber gone, we will start hiring a different level of coaching talent, especially in football. (And no I am not talking about Briles), I think he has zero chance of coming to LU. Barber was hesitant to bring in people who were "bigger personalities" than he was.
Finally, I find it interesting and disturbing that we lose our biggest recruit this year to Furman. I don't believe that it had anything to do with our coaching situation in the future. I believe that we were just out-maneuvered by the coaches who left CSU to go to Furman............embarrassing.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I tend to agree, but for probably a different reason. TG has not done anything dynamic since he arrived here. Yes, we did make the playoffs for the only time, but mostly with Rocco's players. There was no reason we should have lost to Villanova, we had that game won and bad decisions inside the 5 yard line cost us TD's twice.
I have been a big fan of TG until last year. We have under-performed woefully the last 2 years. He doesn't have the personality required to coach/motivate a great FCS team. My guess is, that with Barber gone, we will start hiring a different level of coaching talent, especially in football. (And no I am not talking about Briles), I think he has zero chance of coming to LU. Barber was hesitant to bring in people who were "bigger personalities" than he was.
Finally, I find it interesting and disturbing that we lose our biggest recruit this year to Furman. I don't believe that it had anything to do with our coaching situation in the future. I believe that we were just out-maneuvered by the coaches who left CSU to go to Furman............embarrassing.
Barber might have been hesitant to hire people who had bigger personalities than he did, but he's not at LU anymore
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize,

Barber might have been hesitant to hire people who had bigger personalities than he did, but he's not at LU anymore
I believe we all are aware of that fact, your point is?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
In regards to Lewis, the 3 star DL from Georgia on his choice of Furman over LU. It is not embarrassing that he chose them over us when you look at his reasons for it. Which, if we are looking for why he did it we must go to the source, which is Lewis's own mouth. Lewis stated that he chose Furman due to the closeness of home. Furman is 5 hours away from Lynchburg, it is significantly closer to his home than good ole LU. We tend to forget the draw of playing D-1 football in the proximity of our own home. Let us give this kid the benefit of the doubt, because at the end of the day that is all we can do since we don't truly know the kid.

I simply posted this to remind us that we don't know all the details. It is easy to judge when we are on the outside looking in at a situation, especially like recruiting.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:In regards to Lewis, the 3 star DL from Georgia on his choice of Furman over LU. It is not embarrassing that he chose them over us when you look at his reasons for it. Which, if we are looking for why he did it we must go to the source, which is Lewis's own mouth. Lewis stated that he chose Furman due to the closeness of home. Furman is 5 hours away from Lynchburg, it is significantly closer to his home than good ole LU. We tend to forget the draw of playing D-1 football in the proximity of our own home. Let us give this kid the benefit of the doubt, because at the end of the day that is all we can do since we don't truly know the kid.

I simply posted this to remind us that we don't know all the details. It is easy to judge when we are on the outside looking in at a situation, especially like recruiting.
As much as it pains me to say it, you are absolutely correct. I did state it was my belief and not a definitive comment that we were out-maneuvered, but still, it was not based on first-hand information. :oops:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Purple Haize,

Barber might have been hesitant to hire people who had bigger personalities than he did, but he's not at LU anymore[/quote]

I believe we all are aware of that fact, your point is?[/quote]

You made the statement about Barber hiring big personalities. You made it sound as though that's why Briles wouldn't be coach. I was pointing out that it's irrelevant what Barber's philosophy was as he is no longer at LU.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]