Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Purple Haize,

Barber might have been hesitant to hire people who had bigger personalities than he did, but he's not at LU anymore
I believe we all are aware of that fact, your point is?[/quote]

You made the statement about Barber hiring big personalities. You made it sound as though that's why Briles wouldn't be coach. I was pointing out that it's irrelevant what Barber's philosophy was as he is no longer at LU.[/quote]

I didn't mean it that way, so maybe I should have been more clear. I was trying to convey that with Barber now gone, it is possible that we may be more open to hire a coach with a dynamic/bigger personality. All is good.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
liberty should absolutely be in the playoffs with that schedule. And I know a coach that would come here that would advance liberty football to the next level. Barber hired big named washed up coaches.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:liberty should absolutely be in the playoffs with that schedule. And I know a coach that would come here that would advance liberty football to the next level. Barber hired big named washed up coaches.
Briles will be here soon enough. Relax
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Look i wouldve thought he was canned last year. Its clear now after mccaws comments on the schedule and his overrall salary why hes back and why he will have a great shot at 2 years. Hes convinced jr and mccaw that the 2 fbs games is terrible and beats them up and costs them way more. Also that makes sense why gills daughter posted that status about barber. I actually agree with that sentiment. I still think we have underacheived when we didnt play as difficult of schedules. Now he has a much more manageable schedule and if he goes 8 and 3 or 9 and 2 we probably get in.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:liberty should absolutely be in the playoffs with that schedule. And I know a coach that would come here that would advance liberty football to the next level. Barber hired big named washed up coaches.
Turner Gill and McKay big names? I think I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that.
I know Barber had the opportunity to hire some well respected coaches from BIG schools and didn't for some reason (not for football coach). One of them told me personally, that Barber seemed to be intimidated by him during the interview. I found that to be quite interesting. This guy really wanted to come to LU, and is a strong believer. Barber maybe didn't make the final decision, so it may not have been his fault 100%, but I can fully believe he was likely intimidated by the guy.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
If it was for baseball it might have something to do with his own job being up in the air. I know you said it wasnt football.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
So if you read the article Manson retweeted Ksu had the 10th best recruiting class. We were ranked 40th and Monmouth 29th by example. It may not be this year but Ksu is going to be a real problem soon. Rankings only mean so much but they got a lot of players with multiple offers.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I was really shocked to see so many kids committing to KSU over other offers. They were a great pick up in football by the BigSouth it appears.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Make for a competitive league which is not a bad thing, but I find rankings like that to be somewhat subjective.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Make for a competitive league which is not a bad thing, but I find rankings like that to be somewhat subjective.
KSU's recruiting class is the real deal. They are sitting a hotbed of top talent. These are kids that want to play at UGA and want to stay close to home. They aren't cut out for the SEC and don't want to go down to GASO. Is it that cut and dry? Not always, but KSU has a significant recruiting advantage due to its ability to scoop up underrated and overlooked kids.

KSU will be the new CSU this year or next.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:I was really shocked to see so many kids committing to KSU over other offers. They were a great pick up in football by the BigSouth it appears.
7-10 years ago there were kids playing at GT who would have preferred to stay at KSU, but KSU didn't have a football team at the time. KSU is a legitimate favorite school in the Atlanta area for whatever reason.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My thing is just because a "service" says that they have the top recruiting class in the conference doesn't mean they automatically will win the conference. Are they gonna be good? I can agree with that...i just am not about to crown them king because some recruiting service likes them
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Wait till next year when LU has a nationally known coach who can pull recruits from Texas and across the Country
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
KSU has almost beaten or played at the same level of Liberty for the two years of their existence. At this pace, KSU will be better than Liberty by this year or next. Recruiting better players or improving your depth is a big deal, so quality of their recruiting class should not be dismissed.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Fair enough...I just think you're handing them the trophy already pretty
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:Fair enough...I just think you're handing them the trophy already pretty
The program hasn't done much to convince the fan base or anyone else that it is ours. Either way, I want them to feel like underdogs.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Fair enough...I just think you're handing them the trophy already pretty
CCU past us
CSU past us
KSU is on the rise. There is a trend. I'm obviously not handing them the trophy, but they are very close to passing us.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Wasn't sure where else to mention this but the first 4 home games for 2017 will be at 6 PM instead of 7 this year with the last two at 3:30 PM
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:Wasn't sure where else to mention this but the first 4 home games for 2017 will be at 6 PM instead of 7 this year with the last two at 3:30 PM
So we don't like playing under lights?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Wasn't sure where else to mention this but the first 4 home games for 2017 will be at 6 PM instead of 7 this year with the last two at 3:30 PM
So we don't like playing under lights?
6 is a more "family friendly" starting time. I also think it may suit the students better. They may feel they can stay for the whole game and have more time to do something after
By Class of 20Something
BuryYourDuke wrote:Certainly A LOT better for those of us who drive 2 hours home after the games.
I'd offer our guest room if our families didn't always come up for the games.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Like the 6 pm starts, the schedule is pretty weak though. :shock:
In light of recent developments, it's probably a good thing that our 2017 schedule is not particularly challenging.
By gerb
Coach Turner Gill said Friday Liberty's scholarship count will be in the 70s - perhaps the upper 70s. That's up from the FCS maximum of 63 and moving toward the 85 allowed in the FBS.

While that may not be welcome news to other teams in the Big South, Liberty is ineligible for the conference title and an FCS playoff bid. However, their games count toward the conference standings.
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Wow, talk about how weak the Big South Conference will be in football in two years. Kyle Kallander is swapping LU for Campbell, whose stadium seats 5,500.

http://www.gocamels.com/facilities/Barker-LaneStadium
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]