Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Wvflame2013
At least we're co-champions again. Let's raise the banner of mediocrity. Honestly, if I was the coach, I wouldn't accept co-champions or the rings. Our program reminds me a lot of this year's election. We spend double the money much like Hilary. We act like were so hip and cool with our fancy fireworks, pre-game festivities much like her with Jay-Z, Beyonce, etc. We act like we're entitled to the championship without even playing the games. Cheers to a mediocre program!
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Wvflame2013 wrote:At least we're co-champions again. Let's raise the banner of mediocrity. Honestly, if I was the coach, I wouldn't accept co-champions or the rings. Our program reminds me a lot of this year's election. We spend double the money much like Hilary. We act like were so hip and cool with our fancy fireworks, pre-game festivities much like her with Jay-Z, Beyonce, etc. We act like we're entitled to the championship without even playing the games. Cheers to a mediocre program!
I was thinking this while watching the stands and the facilities at Charleston Southern during the game. It has the look and feel of a high school stadium, but they're the ones with the national ranking and a playoff berth for the second straight year. We are all sizzle, no steak.

I was hopeful that a victory over Charleston Southern would give our program a boost, but we were embarrassed two weeks in a row, and now we're home without a playoff berth or an AD, and it wouldn't surprise me to hear we have no head coach now that the season is over. A 6-5 record - very disappointing.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
IF I remember my prediction correctly, I said 7-4 and winning the Big South and making it to second round of playoffs too. That prediction was WRONG!

I think I also said, Stephon Masha could have a Mike Brown season and presence with this team. So, in the words of Jim Carey from Dumb and Dumber, "I was way off!"

Needless to say, I am disappointed with this season. Yet, I am not crushed or mad but I am hopeful for what this team can do next season. I saw improvements in our defense from last year to this year and big improvements in special teams from this year to last year. Logically, our offense should show good signs of improvement next season too. Lastly, we need to address the O-Line depth with transfers, recruiting and maybe a new O-Line coach.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:IF I remember my prediction correctly, I said 7-4 and winning the Big South and making it to second round of playoffs too. That prediction was WRONG!

I think I also said, Stephon Masha could have a Mike Brown season and presence with this team. So, in the words of Jim Carey from Dumb and Dumber, "I was way off!"

Needless to say, I am disappointed with this season. Yet, I am not crushed or mad but I am hopeful for what this team can do next season. I saw improvements in our defense from last year to this year and big improvements in special teams from this year to last year. Logically, our offense should show good signs of improvement next season too. Lastly, we need to address the O-Line depth with transfers, recruiting and maybe a new O-Line coach.
At times it sounds like I am alone in this, but I do not believe Dennis Wagner is the reason for our OL problems With the addition of 4 players who redshirted this year, if Henderman and Holder are healthy, we will have much better depth next year A FBS transfer upgrading us at one position would obviously be a nice addition

You were not alone in being "way off" on Masha that's still a :dontgetit The Stephon Masha who played so well in those 2 games as a R-FR would have made this a better team he regressed, and that shouldn't happen I blame part of it on his getting zero experience in 2015 while Woodrum played every snap, regardless of whether he was moving the team or the outcome of the game was decided That was on Gill and Stamn

IMHO, if Gill is retained, the assistant who needs to go is Joe Daley, and not just as OC His offense had zero creativity, his only QB with any experience got worse instead of better, and he was paid $300,000 :shock: Unacceptable
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:One thing to consider is that without an AD, there's no one to force staff changes if Gill stays.
JR is still around isn't he?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:One thing to consider is that without an AD, there's no one to force staff changes if Gill stays.
Unfortunately true, and Gill tends to be loyal to a fault
Best bet for that is to hire the AD expidiciously, but if not, I wonder if JR would get involved and force his hand
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Gill wont use the fbs transfers. He has barely taken any even though its a big advantage that most fcs powers utilize. Its a great way to supplement your recruiting and patch holes that you didnt get. Im just done with gill. Terrible special teams play, regressing boring offense, d cant stop option. Sounds like 6 and 5 every year to me.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I do not know who is to blame,(OC or HC), but we must get away from running ball on first and 2nd down on most every possession. We probably led the nation in number of "3rd and longs". Our offense is too conservative. We make it easy for opposing DCs to game plan. We have the skill players to 'spread the field" and keep defenses on their heels. Stop lining up and running ball off right tackle.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I do not know who is to blame,(OC or HC), but we must get away from running ball on first and 2nd down on most every possession. We probably led the nation in number of "3rd and longs". Our offense is too conservative. We make it easy for opposing DCs to game plan. We have the skill players to 'spread the field" and keep defenses on their heels. Stop lining up and running ball off right tackle.
I totally agree with ballcoach :shock:

Obviously, if we make a change at HC, we will have a new OC too

Based on pretty's post in the "next coach" thread, it doesn't look like Gill is out of the woods yet, but if he stays, we need a new OC, which knowing TG will probably only happen by mandate from the new AD We need to fill that job PRONTO
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I still say we played better against VT than we did against some lesser teams on the schedule.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I still say we played better against VT than we did against some lesser teams on the schedule.
I say I'm a sexy bastard. Doesn't make it true
By Jonathan Carone
I know it was mentioned in the Wagner thread, but I did find out for sure that the staff is being retained for next year. The reason was mainly due to the amount of money it would cost to make a change, not because there's a ton of confidence in the staff. They get a year to prove the new AD they're worth keeping.

The Wagner firing was made completely by Gill and not at the suggestion of Jerry. A large reason for it was because it was believed Wagner had lost the linemen and a change was needed to move them forward.

As far as I know there won't be any other staff shake up. That's obviously subject to change, but as of now, it looks like everything other than OL will remain into next year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Glad he signed the contract extension
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Glad he signed the contract extension
I imagine he got a pretty good signing bonus.
At least they didn't have to put the Franchise Tag on him! Would have made him a lot more expensive if they made the playoffs next year! :D

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]