Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:My brother and I were talking and he brought up Larry Fedora. He is a coach builder in that three of his assistants are currently FBS Head Coaches and though he doesn't bring lasting success, he does peak programs in about 4 years. He is on contract through 2022, but another 3-9 season for the Tar Heels may end that early.
Are you a comedian? LOL. Yeah, who wouldn't want a coach who gets fired for not winning? We might as well keep the current staff if we are happy with that. TG can't coach, but at least he is a good man.
Not a comedian. You're just miserable and incapable of joy. Flowers wither in your presence and a general grim mood of a break gray world lie I wake behind you.

Realistically, we are going to get a high level G5 or Low level P5 coach. Fedora fits the bill. He got poached from Southern Miss after going 12-2 and getting them ranked in both the coaches and AP polls and has had UNC ranked as high as 15.

Maybe if you weren't so busy tearing down reasonable possibilities you could come up with an original thought of your own.
I think I would have plead guilty to being a comedian. :) Much smarter. 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Next year LU could have
les Miles
Hugh Freeze
Art Briles
Urban Meyer
To chose from if they want to go ‘in a different direction’
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Next year LU could have
les Miles
Hugh Freeze
Art Briles
Urban Meyer
To chose from if they want to go ‘in a different direction’
Ballcoach sharing his sources with you?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Turner Gill will be the football coach for at least 5 more years.
:clapping
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
thepostman wrote:Turner Gill will be the football coach for at least 5 more years.
:clapping
I'm not sure that is a good thing or not but I also am not convinced we can do any better.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
In all seriousness if TG gets 4 wins or more this year i bet he gets 1 more year which i think. If you made guess right now i would say 4 and 8 would be my pick.

My prediction sure to be wrong. 4 and 8. Gill gets one more year. Freeze gets hired somewhere as OC (serious interest last year , sec commish blocked multiple schools from digging deep on him). We go 4 and 8 again in 19 and gill gets fired. We replace him with freeze after hes had 2 years removed from his transgressions.

I think its too early in the process to get the young up and comer we want so we take the star fit who fell from grace and gets a second chance. I mean freeze is a big charles billingsley fan so that makes it a sure thing right? Oh nvm he left ha.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Coaches who will not be walking through that door when not if Gill is let go:(in two years)
Les Miles
Art Briles
Hugh Freeze
Larry Fedora

We are not getting a P5 Head coach. (coordinator? slim chance) G5 head coach is also a slim chance. Those usually make their way(if they are any sort of good) to P5's. We are getting 1 of 2 options: An FCS head coach who has been successful or A G5 Coordinator looking for his first FBS job.
We haven't even played a season in FBS yet and you guys are already starting to sound like the fan bases of schools who have been FBS for decades lol. I'm all for the enthusiasm just wan't to be realistic.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Urban Meyer is gonna get fired and he's toxic. No program can touch him. We'd have to fire someone we just extended to get killed by public opinion... seems familiar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:Coaches who will not be walking through that door when not if Gill is let go:(in two years)
Les Miles
Art Briles
Hugh Freeze
Larry Fedora

We are not getting a P5 Head coach. (coordinator? slim chance) G5 head coach is also a slim chance. Those usually make their way(if they are any sort of good) to P5's. We are getting 1 of 2 options: An FCS head coach who has been successful or A G5 Coordinator looking for his first FBS job.
We haven't even played a season in FBS yet and you guys are already starting to sound like the fan bases of schools who have been FBS for decades lol. I'm all for the enthusiasm just wan't to be realistic.
Not all of those of those guys are currently a P5 coach 8)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here are my thoughts:

First of all, what I do NOT want is another reclamation project. Not Les Miles, not Hugh Freeze, not Larry Fedora, not Art Briles, not Urban Meyer, not anyone...what we do not need is an FBS retread. God bless each and every one of them, but we need someone who won't use the job to get back to another P5 job or something in a few years. What I want to see is someone who is willing to build the program to the level that Jerry Sr no doubt desired when he spoke of Liberty being what Notre Dame is to Catholics and BYU is to Mormons.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Here are my thoughts:

First of all, what I do NOT want is another reclamation project. Not Les Miles, not Hugh Freeze, not Larry Fedora, not Art Briles, not Urban Meyer, not anyone...what we do not need is an FBS retread. God bless each and every one of them, but we need someone who won't use the job to get back to another P5 job or something in a few years. What I want to see is someone who is willing to build the program to the level that Jerry Sr no doubt desired when he spoke of Liberty being what Notre Dame is to Catholics and BYU is to Mormons.
LU has a person in that spot now
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Here are my thoughts:

For anyone we would hire who is in the category of those you mentioned to leverage a tenure at Liberty into a high profile P5 job would require he have a level of success unprecidented in our football history. I´d take that in a split second, as long as he is a man of God who will represent us well while he is there.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I would agree on all others but freeze. There is a chance on freeze. Its funny the guys that said independant wasnt possible and we couldnt schedule have strong opinions on who lu can and cant get. Youve already been wrong multiple times. However i do agree here other than freeze.

For the record im not advicating freeze. Id need to hear and see much more to be good there.
Last edited by jinxy on August 2nd, 2018, 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Jonathan Carone
I’m all in on a coach using us as a stepping stone. It’s who we are as a low G-5 program. I’ll trade that success for having to find a new coach every couple years.

That said, I don’t want a character rehab project.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That's not entirely what I was getting at (although it does readily describe HCTG). I hear everyone saying we should hire Art Briles, or Hugh Freeze or all these coaches who have been (or potentially will be in Coach Meyer's case) fired for one reason or another (scandal in the case of three of the coaches bandied about)...personally I don't want LU to be a place for FBS retreads at head coach...as an FBS program. And I won't even get into the potential PR challenges...so I agree with Jon on not being a character rehab project (which is really why I was describing them as FBS retreads)
By R i
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote: We are not getting a P5 Head coach. (coordinator? slim chance) G5 head coach is also a slim chance. Those usually make their way(if they are any sort of good) to P5's. We are getting 1 of 2 options: An FCS head coach who has been successful or A G5 Coordinator looking for his first FBS job.
Turner Gill fit most of all of those things you said we would not get. We have more money to spend and are FBS with better stadium. Why do you think its not possible to hire up from our last hire ? Has the program gone down since we hired Gill ? Or are you just being negative Nancy ?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: Its funny the guys that said independant was possible and we couldnt schedule have strong opinions on who lu can and cant get. Youve already been wrong multiple times.
:lol:
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’m all in on a coach using us as a stepping stone. It’s who we are as a low G-5 program. I’ll trade that success for having to find a new coach every couple years.

That said, I don’t want a character rehab project.
That sounds about right. I was maybe a little ambitious thinking about who we can get, but the compensation isn't that far off. Maybe we will be paying mid-G5 money rather than Cincinnati money.

Seth Littrell(UNT) is making about 30% more than what TG is estimated to make.
By Jonathan Carone
jinxy wrote: Its funny the guys that said independant was possible and we couldnt schedule have strong opinions on who lu can and cant get. Youve already been wrong multiple times.
We’ve scheduled some great games and Mickey deserves all the credit in the world for that.

But the jury is still out on if independent can work or be worth it.

Let’s see if we can win games when we have five week road trips in October and November across the entire country. Let’s see if the fans show up for a meaningless home game after being on the road for six weeks for a game the week after Thanksgiving. Let’s see if fan support is sustainable through what will be a hard transition.

Independent football is really, really hard to do year in and year out. Other than Notre Dame and the academies (who are on a totally different level), it hasn’t been proven that you can build a consistently winning program as an independent. That’s my biggest reason to be skeptical about who we can pull in as our next coach. There are too many unanswered questions to attract that rising star to risk his potential here.

All that said, I think the guy after the guy who replaces Gill could be better than any of us imagine. By that point, we will have sorted out the kinks of being independent and will know what it will take to navigate those waters. We won’t be a program in transition. There will be a lot less unknown by that point. That makes the job more attractive.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]