Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Class of 20Something
tyndal23 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:Couldn’t help notice Kendal Briles offense light up AZ Saturday. No idea what his character is like. OC at Houston
I wouldn't touch anyone from the Herman coaching tree for another 5 years.
He came after Herman left - Applewhite hired him - was OC at Baylor under his dad prior.
Oh yeah, because hiring someone from Art Briles tree will go over so much better.
By Jonathan Carone
JK37 wrote:It’s been mentioned plenty we have no identity. I think our game planning is too defensive. Why are we trying to establish the run against Army? Because we’re afraid our defense will be on the field too much. So just as soon as we build momentum through the air, we run on 3rd & 15.

It’s too defensive.

I would much rather solve problems through aggression.
I never actually put two and two together to realize we are too defensive but that’s 100% true. When we are aggressive, we play well. When we are scared, we don’t.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan, I agree with your post above on being aggressive. That's when we play our best.

The next LU coach, (whenever it is) will be someone with Power 5 Head Coaching experience.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:Jonathan, I agree with your post above on being aggressive. That's when we play our best.

The next LU coach, (whenever it is) will be someone with Power 5 Head Coaching experience.
At this point, just drop a semi realistic name and let us talk about it for a while. Or message someone else to toss the real idea out there so you can protect your "source." This ambiguous nonsense is just aggravating.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When talking "coaches" I do not like to name names, but for those of little patience, here's a clue:

He is a former Ole Miss coach.
By Old Red
Shoot, if that's the case, let's just poach Ed Orgeron from LSU. He'd be the most fun, by far.
Last edited by Old Red on September 10th, 2018, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Take this for what it's worth (because I doubt Falwell would consider it) but I have it sourced that IF we want to Rocco back, he has mutual interest.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:When talking "coaches" I do not like to name names, but for those of little patience, here's a clue:

He is a former Ole Miss coach.
#Sources
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Old Red wrote:Shoot, if that's the case, let's just poach Ed Orgeron from LSU. He'd be the most fun, by far.
Thatd be awesome. Completely different coaches show!!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Of course Rocco wants to come back, we are FBS now and JB is gone. He would be an upgrade but is he really an FBS level coach? I am not sure that he is.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Id get on board with Kliff Kingsbury as a Texas Tech fan (second to Liberty of course)
By Class of 20Something
VAGolf wrote:Take this for what it's worth (because I doubt Falwell would consider it) but I have it sourced that IF we want to Rocco back, he has mutual interest.
I feel like the "off field standards" may take a hit if that's the case. I'll commend HCTG on that. I'd much rather the school deal with a lawsuit for being too heavy handed with punishment.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Of course Rocco wants to come back, we are FBS now and JB is gone. He would be an upgrade but is he really an FBS level coach? I am not sure that he is.
I was given this information before the FBS announcement. Trying to argue whether or not someone is a FBS level coach or not is kind of pointless. The levels are incredibly different. Rocco knows how to succeed at Liberty. But he has an ego, a sort of dry personality and pushes the envelope. So, I'd be surprised if Falwell considers the idea. If we're talking about candidates that can elevate our on field status? He's the guy.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I dont believe Rocco is that guy. I think Rocco took us as far as he could take us. Unfortunately our follow up was TG so the foundation Rocco built was not built upon but it was at the very least maintained.

I liked Rocco. I just think it is best for both sides that he remains on his path and we remain on ours.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I've thought of Rocco, too. I just don't think the politics at LU allow for that.

BYD - are you referring to Charlie Weis? If so, he's the reason they're in the mess they're in. Google about their scholarship issues. It'd be literally unbelievable if it weren't so sadly apparent.
By Jonathan Carone
I am probably one of Rocco's biggest fans on this board and I don't think I'd want him back. That's mainly because I think the school and the fan base would need someone new and different more than if I think he could do it or not.

The flip side of it is that he'll be 59 next season. His shelf life at most schools is 5-6 years. He would fit the mold of "guy who builds the program for 5 years then hands it off to someone else after he retires" that some of us have talked about. With the AD already in place, I don't think we'd have the friction between coach and AD that we had under Jeff.

All that said, I still don't think that's what we do.
By LUDad
ballcoach15 wrote:Jonathan, I agree with your post above on being aggressive. That's when we play our best.

McCaw inherited a coach (Morriss) at Baylor that began just before he was hired as AD. Morriss averaged 3.6 wins a season for 5 years. Baylor had also won 3.6 games a season for the 10 years before Morriss. McCaw replaced Morriss with Art Briles (a C-USA coach). He averaged 8.125 wins per year for 8 years which included two 4 win seasons in his first two seasons at the helm as he was getting up to speed. So that is McCaw's history at Baylor.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Worse thing we could do is bringing in someone that's not committed to our mission and have football spiral into controversy. What good would a 9-3 season do us then? Gill's has a great balancing act in place.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]