Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I don't understand why everyone is pushing the panic button. We only lost ONE conference game. ONE. Sure, it came at the worst possible time and dashed our playoff hopes, but Chuck South was a legit. top 20 FCS team. And the Coastal game didn't matter, since Gil wasn't coaching and it was out of conference.

I support Turner Gill and will be buying season tickets next year.
It wasn't that we lost.

it was HOW we lost. badly.

in a league we should dominate

and in typical Liberty fashion once our teams start trending down they don't recover. See baseball a couple yrs back

and once it becomes part of a teams persona, you see fan interest take a dump. which is what is happening
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I don't really care what happened at the Virginia Tech game. But in our three most meaningful games of the year (JSU, Coastal, CSU), we were done by halftime.

If you want to chalk this up to having a young team, that would be okay if there was some improvement shown in the final games. Yet, I would argue that we've regressed since the KSU game. We were dominated by CSU, and we basically gave up against Coastal.

People can preach loyalty all they want, but if loyalty breeds mediocrity, what are you really supporting? I won't be buying tickets next year. Turner Gill is one of the nicest coaches I've ever met, but it's time to move on. You can't get paid $600,000 to be nice.
By Jonathan Carone
I also ask this question: Why were we rebuilding in year five? Shouldn't we have everything in place in year five so that we're chugging along smoothly?
By Dalegarz1
by Jonathan Carone » November 21st, 2016, 10:12 am
I also ask this question: Why were we rebuilding in year five? Shouldn't we have everything in place in year five so that we're chugging along smoothly?

You certainly would think so. I remember the Jacksonville St. coach saying before the game that LU was the best defense that they had to face (except LSU). What happened? Even with a fr. QB we should have performed at a higher level.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I also ask this question: Why were we rebuilding in year five? Shouldn't we have everything in place in year five so that we're chugging along smoothly?
You shouldn't have to rebuild especially when you take over a good program. It wasn't like our program was in a bad spot when TG took over. In 2011 we were 7-4 with two 3 point losses to ranked FCS teams and a loss to NC State while CSU was 0-11. We see where the 2 programs are now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I also ask this question: Why were we rebuilding in year five? Shouldn't we have everything in place in year five so that we're chugging along smoothly?
You shouldn't have to rebuild especially when you take over a good program. It wasn't like our program was in a bad spot when TG took over. In 2011 we were 7-4 with two 3 point losses to ranked FCS teams and a loss to NC State while CSU was 0-11. We see where the 2 programs are now.
The cupboard was pretty sparse when TG took over.
As for rebuilding, every team not named Alabama does that.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I think we can shut down this thread. If a move was going to be made it would have happened.

I love Gill as a person. He is a great representative for the university. For some reason, if we can't run our offenses struggle, and we somehow make our qbs worse. Woodrum was better as a jr. Bucksshot was great his first two starts with a simplified offense...so then they felt they better make it complicated and go back to the first down hand off 5 yards from the line...and then try and throw deep with a young offensive line. Makes no sense. And it seems like our offenses look the same regardless who the coordinater is. We are so scared to pass on first downs...We don't throw to the tight end enough...and we hand off way to far behind the line...with only one back there, so the defense knows who is going to get the ball in advance.

Imagine back in the day if karcher had given up on his system and run the wishbone with gado, goodman, barnes, and terrell. But no, he liked a 1 back set and a big imobile qb.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:I think we can shut down this thread. If a move was going to be made it would have happened.

I love Gill as a person. He is a great representative for the university. For some reason, if we can't run our offenses struggle, and we somehow make our qbs worse. Woodrum was better as a jr. Bucksshot was great his first two starts with a simplified offense...so then they felt they better make it complicated and go back to the first down hand off 5 yards from the line...and then try and throw deep with a young offensive line. Makes no sense. And it seems like our offenses look the same regardless who the coordinater is. We are so scared to pass on first downs...We don't throw to the tight end enough...and we hand off way to far behind the line...with only one back there, so the defense knows who is going to get the ball in advance.

Imagine back in the day if karcher had given up on his system and run the wishbone with gado, goodman, barnes, and terrell. But no, he liked a 1 back set and a big imobile qb.
When he did run a modified wishbone LU had the most exciting comeback in its history
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
krh44 wrote:
The cupboard was pretty sparse when TG took over.
As for rebuilding, every team not named Alabama does that.
Even though we have lost a lot that year I was just trying to make the point that TG did not have to resurrect program like CSU had. Overall we were in a much better place compared to CSU and we see where we are at now.
By msfbrecruits
Jason Simpson at UT-Martin would be a perfect fit. Christian guy, great staff, recruits nationally. Been at UTM for 11 years, taken a perennial doormat and has them in contention every year. The OVC is a tougher conference than the Big South, and when you play Jacksonville State every year for a share of the OVC championship, your doing something right. with Liberty's facilities and resources, he could turn the program into where it should be. He does an incredible job at UTM with 4 or 5 fulltime coaches and the rest are GA's. The guy can coach. maybe its time for Liberty to look outside the box at some actual football coaches that have a record of winning, not a big name that wins the press conference.
By Class of 20Something
JK37 wrote:
Dalegarz1 wrote:As a football coach I think a replacement for TG is in order. However, because of the character of the man, if he is retained I will not hesitate to get behind him and support him in anyway I can. There seems to be those that want to take their ball and go home if he is not replaced. That's the "entitlement world" in which we find ourselves.
+1. The people here saying they'll pull monetary support are ignorant to me.
You don't maintain financial support to a lost cause. I work hard for my money, I'm not going to keep going when moral victories and mediocrity are considered acceptable to the athletic department.

The school trains Champions for Christ. Not, Co-Champions for Christ.

Win or move on. There is a difference between being entitled and demanding excellence.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
JK37 wrote:
Dalegarz1 wrote:As a football coach I think a replacement for TG is in order. However, because of the character of the man, if he is retained I will not hesitate to get behind him and support him in anyway I can. There seems to be those that want to take their ball and go home if he is not replaced. That's the "entitlement world" in which we find ourselves.
+1. The people here saying they'll pull monetary support are ignorant to me.
You don't maintain financial support to a lost cause. I work hard for my money, I'm not going to keep going when moral victories and mediocrity are considered acceptable to the athletic department.

The school trains Champions for Christ. Not, Co-Champions for Christ.

Win or move on. There is a difference between being entitled and demanding excellence.
You seem to be basing your ire on a premise that is at best unfounded, that being that those things are being "accepted" The AD has already been fired, and if the Head Coach ends up getting another year or so to try to right the ship, it looks like there are some pretty strong financial reasons for that

If "excellence" is your only reason for supporting the team in the first place, demand it all you want and move on if you don't get it Some of us have other reasons I am curious to know what you would move on to however

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people voicing their displeasure, and am not happy about the results the last 2 football seasons either, but abandoning ship at this point is spoiled brat, drama queen behavior
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
It's very easy to say we won't give money right now when we're speaking from disappointed emotion over the program. The same ones that say that are the same ones who when we have a better season next year and make the playoffs will have spent money on the program once again.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
We wont know until after next year it appears.
By Class of 20Something
The greatest way to affect change, the one thing, we as a consumer, hold over their heads, is our money. If we want change stop going to games. Average attendance was down, what? 15% from last season? Average 2700 less people in attendance. At, lets average $20 a ticket, some less(GA Season Ticket Holders/Students) some more (Red/Blue and suites), that's $54,000 per game in lost revenue from last year. We played 6 home games this year. That's an estimated $324,000 in ticket sales alone. Add in lost concessions sales at lets say $10 per person because its $7 for a cruddy burger without any fries, we add on $162,000 to total at $486,000 lost on ticket sales and concessions just from last year.

This is a wake up call. Loosing almost half a million dollars because of poor performance? I'm sure sponsorships and marketing gets effected and cost gets driven down when there are less butts in seats.

We hit them in the pocketbook because that's what they understand. You don't keep going to a restaurant where the service gets worse every visit. You don't go to a mechanic that demands you pay up front then does shoddy work. They are in the business of making money.

While we are at it, can we stop with the character assassination? "Ignorant, spoiled brat, drama queen." If you can't make an argument without trying to discredit the person you're arguing with, maybe your argument isn't as good as you think it is.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:You can support the team without giving money to it.
Oh, I know, believe me, I know

You can also support the team financially (either by attending games or otherwise) even though they may fall short of your definition of "excellence" If you have a family and decide spending money to support a football program is poor stewardship, that's fine It has nothing to do with how the team is performing
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:We wont know until after next year it appears.

Is that inside info, or just based on no announcement yet If it's the latter, I would say it's still a bit early to make the call, but looking more and more like TG will be back

I would say the one scenario where it could happen after today would be if JLFJR already has the new AD lined up and is holding off to have him do the firing and hiring
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote:If you have a family and decide spending money to support a football program is poor stewardship, that's fine It has nothing to do with how the team is performing
But it has everything to do with how the team is performing. Had we made a playoff run this year and were getting better, I could justify driving 3.5 hours to Jacksonville State next year. Or coming to homecoming. If we aren't any good, I can't spend that money.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I absolutely won't support the team based on on-field success. I've never understood buying tickets to games when the team stinks. You're loyal? So, what? I'm going to watch football and basketball to be entertained. I don't like watching my teams lose. When the Redskins have been terrible, I've avoided going to games. If Liberty retains Gill, I won't be attending any games. I hope others would do the same.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
R i wrote:We wont know until after next year it appears.

Is that inside info, or just based on no announcement yet If it's the latter, I would say it's still a bit early to make the call, but looking more and more like TG will be back

I would say the one scenario where it could happen after today would be if JLFJR already has the new AD lined up and is holding off to have him do the firing and hiring
Speculation on my part. It seems like it would have been done by now. However you make a good point about if AD has already been selected, they could be waiting.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:I absolutely won't support the team based on on-field success. I've never understood buying tickets to games when the team stinks. You're loyal? So, what? I'm going to watch football and basketball to be entertained. I don't like watching my teams lose. When the Redskins have been terrible, I've avoided going to games. If Liberty retains Gill, I won't be attending any games. I hope others would do the same.
Meh, the players still play the game. Not attending because of the coach is a far reaching reason to not attend. You support because it's your school and the kids who play deserve our support.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I addressed this, but apparently either no one offered a proper answer or didn't understand the question...how does your pulling financial support improve the special teams play? Would fans not coming to games lead to the players not misplaying punts? How does pulling your financial support make the offense play better? Would we call better plays then? How does pulling your financial support help Coach Wimberly better defend against the option? Would the players react better on their assignments and defend the pitch and backs better because fans stopped coming or stopped buying jerseys or what have you?
By Class of 20Something
LUnpretty11 wrote:
VAGolf wrote:I absolutely won't support the team based on on-field success. I've never understood buying tickets to games when the team stinks. You're loyal? So, what? I'm going to watch football and basketball to be entertained. I don't like watching my teams lose. When the Redskins have been terrible, I've avoided going to games. If Liberty retains Gill, I won't be attending any games. I hope others would do the same.
Meh, the players still play the game. Not attending because of the coach is a far reaching reason to not attend. You support because it's your school and the kids who play deserve our support.
I support because I like good football and at one point it was the best, live football for my money. Unfortunately, my dollar doesn't go as far anymore.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I addressed this, but apparently either no one offered a proper answer or didn't understand the question...how does your pulling financial support improve the special teams play? Would fans not coming to games lead to the players not misplaying punts? How does pulling your financial support make the offense play better? Would we call better plays then? How does pulling your financial support help Coach Wimberly better defend against the option? Would the players react better on their assignments and defend the pitch and backs better because fans stopped coming or stopped buying jerseys or what have you?
A. I go to be entertained. If it's not entertaining, I'm not going. I don't really care if my contribution actually effects the team or not.

B. If the attendance falls back to what it used to be, Jerry Jr. will make changes.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]