Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
WE need bigger and quicker linemen on both sides of ball.
Need to focus on JUCOs or D1 transfers, starting now, until we can get some studs thru high school recruiting.
We have the skill position players now to be successful if all parts come together.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Your missing the point

We are short MULTIPLE d lineman. Frazier hamilton and brown all left or were booted depending on who you talk to. We needed more than london lewis even if he stayed is the point. Then we only sign one juco dl and he doesnt qualify. There are tons of juco lineman out there with no offers that we could have taken a flier on with the new found fbs schollies. The talent level should never be low that we are having to play this many walk ons. Good for them for getting the opportunity but you cant be successful with that many guys having to play. Im not saying its a lack of effort but at the end of the day its coaches responsibility to manage the roster and they are very very weak on the lines. Jucos provide more mature bodies if nothing else. Franklin had no other offers either so to act as if hes much better than other kids out there is a stretch.

We have only 7 sacks all year...7!

The only reason i mentioned ajayi is to address why we cannot stop the run. Oldflame. Go back and read the notebooks. Gill is on record saying ajayi could be one of the best lbs to play here since hes been here.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Your missing the point

We are short MULTIPLE d lineman. Frazier hamilton and brown all left or were booted depending on who you talk to. We needed more than london lewis even if he stayed is the point. Then we only sign one juco dl and he doesnt qualify. There are tons of juco lineman out there with no offers that we could have taken a flier on with the new found fbs schollies. The talent level should never be low that we are having to play this many walk ons. Good for them for getting the opportunity but you cant be successful with that many guys having to play. Im not saying its a lack of effort but at the end of the day its coaches responsibility to manage the roster and they are very very weak on the lines. Jucos provide more mature bodies if nothing else. Franklin had no other offers either so to act as if hes much better than other kids out there is a stretch.

The only reason i mentioned ajayi is to address why we cannot stop the run. Oldflame. Go back and read the notebooks. Gill is on record saying ajayi could be one of the best lbs to play here since hes been here.
We offered more than one JUCO lineman. You still don't seem to be grasping the huge disincentive for those JR college players to sign with LU last class. No chance of either a conference championship/playoff berth or a bowl in the next 2 years. MAYBE a shot at a bowl their 3rd year if they redshirt, but no promises they would be redshirted. It was a really tough sell. Just because there may have been JUCO lineman out there without offers doesn't mean we should want them at Liberty just so we can say we "managed our roster". I suspect that kind of thinking may be how we ended up with the likes of Frazier and Brown.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Again. There were plenty of jucos out there with no offers just like franklin. Dont believe me. Search the coaches and @libertyfootball twitter handles and see just how many kids seek them out and attach their highlights. It was the same in the summer spring with jucos. With no other offers postseason doesnt matter. Also you can get talent like lozano by getting them after their first year. I know atleast 2 i saw that tweeted coaches that wanted to come but ended up elsewhere.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Again. There were plenty of jucos out there with no offers just like franklin. Dont believe me. Search the coaches and @libertyfootball twitter handles and see just how many kids seek them out and attach their highlights. It was the same in the summer spring with jucos. With no other offers postseason doesnt matter. Also you can get talent like lozano by getting them after their first year. I know atleast 2 i saw that tweeted coaches that wanted to come but ended up elsewhere.
OK, that settles it then. Our criteria for offering a scholarship to a JUCO prospect should be "we need warm bodies at that position and he tweeted us that he wanted to come." :roll:

I think I can say with some confidence that if there were JUCO D-linemen who wanted to come to Liberty and we did not offer, there was a reason. Either they weren't D1 calibre players or they weren't Liberty calibre kids.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
how could they be worse? Also its called an example, there are atleast 2 of them contributing for other schools this year from memory. Thats how many of the kids with no offers get offers i hate to break that to you. We literally cant field a 2 deep on the line and saunders and mitchell should have redshirted. But hey keep on promoting gill and their “75” scholarships and we can keep giving up 500 rush yards a game or multiple 100 yard rushers or multiple tds over 50 yards in the same game. All 3 have happened over the last 4 or 5 games.

Also your kidding yourself if you think the staff was looking for complete fits for lu. All they had to do was take a look on twitter at several of these kids and that nullifies that. They took the best combo they could find. Also this year there have been multiple kids that were great fits for the team that have multiple fcs offers and attended camp and wanted to be here but we passed up. Thats all good with me but im not going to pretend like the staff was out there looking for all tebows because thats just disengenious. Now i do think the fbs has allowed us to go after better talent and fit. Is it enough to be competitive at this level. Jury is out.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I just want to point out that Seth Nerness who is sitting out this year as an FBS transfer was a 3 star DE who will be a HUGE playmaker on D for us immediately. And I believe he will have 3 years to play!!! Him on 1 end and Juwan on the other will be a nightmare scenario for many of the teams we play. Throw in Michael Austin Lewis our 3 star de from Tenn. and that adds some serious depth to our shaky D-Line. Also add in Emmanuel Cater who may play DT at some point or could even play DE and our shaky D-Line has become a strength. Our linebackers are young and inexperienced, but Ajayi will help and I have a hunch about a 3 star JUCO LB coming our way who will start from day 1.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Your missing the point

Our sack totals are so low, because we very seldom blitz. I think that is a major mistake, but I am not a D coach giving up 500 yards to NEC teams either. I don't remember even one blitz against Duquane (sp) the qb had all day to throw at times. I know we get blitzed on, many, many more times than we blitz.
By Dirty 30
ballcoach15 wrote:WE need bigger and quicker linemen on both sides of ball.
Need to focus on JUCOs or D1 transfers, starting now, until we can get some studs thru high school recruiting.
We have the skill position players now to be successful if all parts come together.
Your 100% Correct BallCoach!
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
It wasn't just the Indiana State game that was won by a hair. Even this past Saturday against the Dukes...Remember the end of the first half. LU is in FG range with about 7 seconds...and we throw the ball into the endzone...and with the help of luck and a lightning fast trigger finger by the clock operater....LU manages to have 1 second left before half to kick the FG. That's not a defensive problem...it's just frustrating play calling all around. At the same time, like others have said, TG is a great representative for the school. He really seems to live the mission. And Special teams have made amazing plays.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We need to blitz on EVERY play, but send a different player each time, so that offense doesn't know where blitz is coming from.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Does ANY team blitz on every play?
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:It wasn't just the Indiana State game that was won by a hair. Even this past Saturday against the Dukes...Remember the end of the first half. LU is in FG range with about 7 seconds...and we throw the ball into the endzone...and with the help of luck and a lightning fast trigger finger by the clock operater....LU manages to have 1 second left before half to kick the FG. That's not a defensive problem...it's just frustrating play calling all around. At the same time, like others have said, TG is a great representative for the school. He really seems to live the mission. And Special teams have made amazing plays.
I looked at my wife and said, thank God we’re at home cause that 1 second ticks off on the road.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Does ANY team blitz on every play?
1976 Steel Curtain - gave up 13 point in 9 games with 6 shutouts was the closest.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
I do when i play Madden, does that count?
Well you are playing your infant child who needs to learn life is tough. So....yep!!!
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:
I do when i play Madden, does that count?
Well you are playing your infant child who needs to learn life is tough. So....yep!!!
'Murica
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We need to blitz on EVERY play, but send a different player each time, so that offense doesn't know where blitz is coming from.
It is kinda tough when running a 4-2-5 defense. I would never blitz every play, but every now and then wouldn't hurt. Our defense is pretty vanilla and it shows on the field. The coaching staff made a conscious decision to recruit smaller/quicker players a few years ago and change the scheme. Obviously another poor decision.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The 4 2 5 is really best served against the spread. We will see more of that at the fbs level but weve been gashed by variations of thw option and pro style this year which pro style used to the be the one thing we could stop.
By CCWMichael
OMG Keep Gill!!! What a stud. All these winning seasons in the Big South. Wins when we should: losses when we should with a few wins sprinkled in. Consistent play!!!! So visible in the Liberty community. His mission critical coaching skills have been shown over time. TG has met the purpose for which he was hired. TG provides superb supervision to his coaching staff which shows in his non-losing stretch. Always prepares the team to be in n effective position. Stoops (ret) and Matt Campbell have shown the same gusto.
Welcome Gill to the end of season banquet and enjoy another year of MEDIOCRITY!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:
lawrenceq wrote:This thread needs to be closed.
Not so fast my friend...
Someone just dropped a ‘Hint Bomb’!!!
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm sure they will rethink the Cleveland point f[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]

2024 CUSA Tennis Tournament

Men fall to MTSU 4-2