Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
lawrenceq wrote:Jim a bit goofy, but he's a solid coach. I think he'd be an improvement over TG.
We’ve gone through three offensive coordinators already. What’s to make anyone think a fourth would be any different?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
My personal opinion on the HC to OC relationship is this: Turner Gill's Nebraska roots are in conflict with how our offense can excel the most. In other words, we are built to succeed as an up-tempo offense where we should be throwing the ball 40 to 45 times a game while running it 25 times. Gill seems to desire that we be more of a 25 to 30 pass and 30 to 35 run kind of guy. I think as long as he is head coach we are going to have this battle. If our personnel was built for a heavy dose of running than sure, but our personnel is built more for up-tempo with the skill position players that we have. By not utilizing that set of skills in an up-tempo style offense we then put ourselves behind the sticks.

For the record, Jim McElwain got shafted. No way he should have been fired after 7 games. Unless, there were immoral reasons. That goes for any coach. I would lose respect for McCaw if he fired Gill now or at anytime before the season ended unless it was for the reason above.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Jim McElwain got shafted. No way he should have been fired after 7 games. Unless, there were immoral reasons. That goes for any coach.
Not talking about the Gill situation (nor McElwain), but I strongly disagree. If the decision has been made to let the guy go, let him go and allow the AD to wholeheartedly and immediately begin the search. In some (rare) cases the coach can remain the HC until the end of the season, but go ahead and make the decision.

As for the Florida situation... It sounds like things off the field rubbed the administration the wrong way.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
lawrenceq wrote:Jim a bit goofy, but he's a solid coach. I think he'd be an improvement over TG.
We’ve gone through three offensive coordinators already. What’s to make anyone think a fourth would be any different?
Great point. I also think the OC has a better shot at keeping his job than the DC.
By CCWMichael
rtb72 wrote:What about TCU's Curtis Luper. The guy has tons of accompishments, is a veteran, and really seems to be about more than football....he is a mentor. I think I saw where he looked at a HC position somewhere but backed out. Not sure what the story is there. But he seems like he would be a good face for LU and is well respected in the college football circle. Good recruiter too!
SOLID>
Can we draw him away from his home?
By CCWMichael
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Cause someone wishes (pixie dust is solid) it so ..... time to clean house
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote:https://www.redcuprebellion.com/2017/11 ... erence-usa
Bill Clark will retire a blazer. Sorry man.
If they give him better facilities and a new stadium.

Bill Clark stayed at UAB after they killed football for two reasons: he wanted to get fully vested with the state of Alabama retirement system; he wanted to see if football would be reinstated.
By sigmo7
Registration Days Posts
Bud Foster. Makes 950 at VT but has threw his hat in the ring for big schools. Probably wouldn't even have to move. We would at least have a little insight for our future Hokie match ups. If going for a defensive guy he would be a good one.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
sigmo7 wrote:Bud Foster. Makes 950 at VT but has threw his hat in the ring for big schools. Probably wouldn't even have to move. We would at least have a little insight for our future Hokie match ups. If going for a defensive guy he would be a good one.
Why would he want to leave VT for LU?
By Ewglenn
sigmo7 wrote:Bud Foster. Makes 950 at VT but has threw his hat in the ring for big schools. Probably wouldn't even have to move. We would at least have a little insight for our future Hokie match ups. If going for a defensive guy he would be a good one.
:shock: I like this idea.
By Ewglenn
Purple Haize wrote:
Two reasons

1) money
2) chance to lead a program
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Two reasons

1) money
2) chance to lead a program
Can get more money somewhere else while leading a program AND still enjoy his bourbon
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
sigmo7 wrote:Purple I see your point. I forgot he's the coach in waiting for when Frank retires. my bad
That’s your response? Wonderful insight
By Ewglenn
Why would he want to leave VT for LU?[/quote]

Two reasons

1) money
2) chance to lead a program[/quote]

Can get more money somewhere else while leading a program AND still enjoy his bourbon[/quote]

He was waiting around for the VT job and that didn't happen. I think he would entertain the idea of coming here.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:Why would he want to leave VT for LU?
Two reasons

1) money
2) chance to lead a program[/quote]

Can get more money somewhere else while leading a program AND still enjoy his bourbon[/quote]

He was waiting around for the VT job and that didn't happen. I think he would entertain the idea of coming here.[/quote]

There are much bigger openings he’d have a shot at IF he wanted to be a HC. Ole Miss, UF maybe UNC. If rumors are to be believed he was on his way to Bama to be their DC before agreeing to stay on at Tech. Someone mentioned in those circles would need a compelling for LU
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]