Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
VAGolf wrote:I absolutely won't support the team based on on-field success. I've never understood buying tickets to games when the team stinks. You're loyal? So, what? I'm going to watch football and basketball to be entertained. I don't like watching my teams lose. When the Redskins have been terrible, I've avoided going to games. If Liberty retains Gill, I won't be attending any games. I hope others would do the same.
Meh, the players still play the game. Not attending because of the coach is a far reaching reason to not attend. You support because it's your school and the kids who play deserve our support.
Not really. I support the school by paying back my student loans. I cheer for the football team because I attended the school. My support of the team is based on whether or not the team is competitive or entertaining.
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:I addressed this, but apparently either no one offered a proper answer or didn't understand the question...how does your pulling financial support improve the special teams play? Would fans not coming to games lead to the players not misplaying punts? How does pulling your financial support make the offense play better? Would we call better plays then? How does pulling your financial support help Coach Wimberly better defend against the option? Would the players react better on their assignments and defend the pitch and backs better because fans stopped coming or stopped buying jerseys or what have you?
I think you're missing the point of the opposition and I don't know that your question is addressing the issue. The players aren't getting paid. But are the players really the issue? Our grievance is with how the team is managed, recruited, strengthened, trained, and ultimately coached. Not financially backing the school through a rough patch, where many are rightfully questioning our loyalty to a coach that has effectively set the program back to the late 2000's may not be for everyone, but I can watch and cheer from my couch on ESPN3. I'll still be putting an LU flag in front of my house on gameday. But I am not going to enable the athletic department to continue in questionable decision making by supporting them financially.

It may not be for everyone. You don't have to do it. That's your prerogative. Hopefully you can understand those willing to walk in the down years. You may believe that abstaining from purchasing tickets will not affect the program. I believe it does. Money talks.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
olldflame wrote:If you have a family and decide spending money to support a football program is poor stewardship, that's fine It has nothing to do with how the team is performing
But it has everything to do with how the team is performing. Had we made a playoff run this year and were getting better, I could justify driving 3.5 hours to Jacksonville State next year. Or coming to homecoming. If we aren't any good, I can't spend that money.
:BS
Don't conflate 'stewardship' with 'entertainment'. Your decision has 0 to do with 'stewardship'. If a bunch of your (or your wife) friends from different areas wanted to get together for a FB game, you'd do it. The record and opponent would play less into in than whether you had the time and wanted to make that commitment to see your friends. If you were talking season tickets or an Annual Gift then MAYBE
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:That event is called homecoming. Most of my out of town friends didn't go this year because we weren't any good.
Says the Tennessee and CCU fan... Yes, I'm poking the bear
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The only thing I like about UT football is laughing at UT football fans.
Ha! I knew you loved it! And you didn't deny CCU :brownbag
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw posted in the Jeff Barber Resigns thread that it's a done deal and hinted LU1 is on the way from the West

If that hire is imminent, I think the odds go way up again on a coaching change
By Jonathan Carone
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The only thing I like about UT football is laughing at UT football fans.
Ha! I knew you loved it! And you didn't deny CCU :brownbag
I'll pull for them when we aren't playing them.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:That event is called homecoming. Most of my out of town friends didn't go this year because we weren't any good.
I'm sure having a new born played 0 role in that
By rtb72
Class of 20Something wrote:The greatest way to affect change, the one thing, we as a consumer, hold over their heads, is our money. If we want change stop going to games. Average attendance was down, what? 15% from last season? Average 2700 less people in attendance. At, lets average $20 a ticket, some less(GA Season Ticket Holders/Students) some more (Red/Blue and suites), that's $54,000 per game in lost revenue from last year. We played 6 home games this year. That's an estimated $324,000 in ticket sales alone. Add in lost concessions sales at lets say $10 per person because its $7 for a cruddy burger without any fries, we add on $162,000 to total at $486,000 lost on ticket sales and concessions just from last year.

This is a wake up call. Loosing almost half a million dollars because of poor performance? I'm sure sponsorships and marketing gets effected and cost gets driven down when there are less butts in seats.

We hit them in the pocketbook because that's what they understand. You don't keep going to a restaurant where the service gets worse every visit. You don't go to a mechanic that demands you pay up front then does shoddy work. They are in the business of making money.

While we are at it, can we stop with the character assassination? "Ignorant, spoiled brat, drama queen." If you can't make an argument without trying to discredit the person you're arguing with, maybe your argument isn't as good as you think it is.
Well stated, CO20S. I can still be a fan, love my school, support other programs, and NOT go to football games due to lack of whatever....w/o being demonized as this or that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:The greatest way to affect change, the one thing, we as a consumer, hold over their heads, is our money. If we want change stop going to games. Average attendance was down, what? 15% from last season? Average 2700 less people in attendance. At, lets average $20 a ticket, some less(GA Season Ticket Holders/Students) some more (Red/Blue and suites), that's $54,000 per game in lost revenue from last year. We played 6 home games this year. That's an estimated $324,000 in ticket sales alone. Add in lost concessions sales at lets say $10 per person because its $7 for a cruddy burger without any fries, we add on $162,000 to total at $486,000 lost on ticket sales and concessions just from last year.

This is a wake up call. Loosing almost half a million dollars because of poor performance? I'm sure sponsorships and marketing gets effected and cost gets driven down when there are less butts in seats.

We hit them in the pocketbook because that's what they understand. You don't keep going to a restaurant where the service gets worse every visit. You don't go to a mechanic that demands you pay up front then does shoddy work. They are in the business of making money.

While we are at it, can we stop with the character assassination? "Ignorant, spoiled brat, drama queen." If you can't make an argument without trying to discredit the person you're arguing with, maybe your argument isn't as good as you think it is.
Well stated, CO20S. I can still be a fan, love my school, support other programs, and NOT go to football games due to lack of whatever....w/o being demonized as this or that.
Um. Love the passion. Your season ticket and any donation you make (unless it's 6 or 7 figures) means nothing. But enjoy your self righteous Crusade. I love peasants with pitchforks. Very Les Mes
By rtb72
Purple Haize wrote:
rtb72 wrote:

Um. Love the passion. Your season ticket and any donation you make (unless it's 6 or 7 figures) means nothing. But enjoy your self righteous Crusade. I love peasants with pitchforks. Very Les Mes
Unless it's systemic....
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Which it won't be
And even then. No
Thank you for playing
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple got to it before I could.

What is it you think your money does? It doesn't pay the coach's salary. It's got nothing to do with capital improvements. The president has made it clear that it grants you no influence or input. Your lack of financial support hurts student-athletes first and foremost. That's reality. Your money supplements athletic budgets. It's got nothing to do with coaches' salaries.

I was talking about Annual Giving. You don't wanna buy a ticket? Fine. You go to games solely for entertainment? Ok. I don't just go for that reason, but I'm different than most. I don't expect to be understood.

I said "ignorant", and I stand by it. If you think your decision to not give money or not buy a ticket makes a lick of difference in who is the head coach, you are IGNORING facts at LU. You are willfully acting ignorantly. I can't make it any more plain, and of you don't understand it I can't help you any more.

It's not a character attack, you pansy. (That was.) it's just reality.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Purple got to it before I could.

What is it you think your money does? It doesn't pay the coach's salary. It's got nothing to do with capital improvements. The president has made it clear that it grants you no influence or input. Your lack of financial support hurts student-athletes first and foremost. That's reality. Your money supplements athletic budgets. It's got nothing to do with coaches' salaries.

I was talking about Annual Giving. You don't wanna buy a ticket? Fine. You go to games solely for entertainment? Ok. I don't just go for that reason, but I'm different than most. I don't expect to be understood.

I said "ignorant", and I stand by it. If you think your decision to not give money or not buy a ticket makes a lick of difference in who is the head coach, you are IGNORING facts at LU. You are willfully acting ignorantly. I can't make it any more plain, and of you don't understand it I can't help you any more.

It's not a character attack, you pansy. (That was.) it's just reality.
The short version:
You have no idea that the Administration at LU holds its fans in such contempt. Of course, when they are complaining about the costs of concessions at an LU game it's also difficult to take them seriously
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
You guys are focusing too much on a subpoint brought up by one poster, and missing the main point mentioned by many posters. The money may not mean much to LU, but my money and time and what I spend it on means a lot to me.

Secondly, you can continue to argue about how little my lack of a ticket purchase will effect LU's pockets. It doesn't really matter. If the attendance drops to 12,000 next year...they'll feel the absence.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
You're right about attendance. But it's got nothing to do with money.

You are perfectly within your rights to spend your time and money how you choose. But the connection was made to a coaching change. Lack of support in all it's forms hits student-athletes first. That's the reality I don't believe many consider, because it's too easy to expend emotional energy toward a coach or administrator.
By Jonathan Carone
The admin doesn't need our money, but they're embarrassed by small crowds. The only way to show your feelings to them is by staying home.

If I was a local next year I would go to a couple games but wouldn't buy season tickets.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The admin doesn't need our money, but they're embarrassed by small crowds. The only way to show your feelings to them is by staying home.

If I was a local next year I would go to a couple games but wouldn't buy season tickets.
Lame,

You do have UNC and CCU to fall back on. LU football on Saturdays is all I got. If I am not attending their games (despite record) I wouldn't be attending any college football games on Saturdays in the fall, and that would not be fun.

Plus it affects the student athletes more than your stating.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The admin doesn't need our money, but they're embarrassed by small crowds. The only way to show your feelings to them is by staying home.

Lame,

You do have UNC and CCU to fall back on. LU football on Saturdays is all I got. If I am not attending their games (despite record) I wouldn't be attending any college football games on Saturdays in the fall, and that would not be fun.

Plus it affects the student athletes more than your stating.
I'll take 'Reasons People Go To Games for $200 please'
By Jonathan Carone
I'm not a giant football fan. I don't sit around in Saturdays watching hours upon hours of football. If it's not a Liberty game, I rarely watch more than a quarter of a game. I don't have other football to fall back on when Liberty is bad.
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]