Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Paying for The Athletic is the best sports decision I’ve made in the last year. The content on their far exceeds any other sports site.
But you’re a fabulously wealthy entrepreneur so I expect nothing less!!
By BigRed1
I noticed that Kansas is buying out their coach for 3 million dollars. Why is it that some act like it’s going to bankrupt Liberty if we buy out Gill and his staff?
By Jonathan Carone
BigRed1 wrote:I noticed that Kansas is buying out their coach for 3 million dollars. Why is it that some act like it’s going to bankrupt Liberty if we buy out Gill and his staff?

No one thinks it’ll bankrupt us. But it also isn’t how Jerry wants to spend his money. He’d rather have a bad season or two than pay someone not to coach.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Paying for The Athletic is the best sports decision I’ve made in the last year. The content on their far exceeds any other sports site.
But you’re a fabulously wealthy entrepreneur so I expect nothing less!!
Ballcoach spends more at Burger King in a month than it costs to subscribe to The Athletic.

But seriously - if you like smart sports coverage, it’s well worth the $40ish each year.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I had some kind of promo where I had 3-months free of The Athletic and it is really good content. They continue to add markets and seem to be snatching up some of the best writers from each market.

With that said, I didn't renew my subscription but if you are really into sports journalism that isn't just cheap drive by opinions (aka ESPN), then The Athletic is certainly worth a look.
By BigRed1
Jonathan Carone wrote:
BigRed1 wrote:I noticed that Kansas is buying out their coach for 3 million dollars. Why is it that some act like it’s going to bankrupt Liberty if we buy out Gill and his staff?

No one thinks it’ll bankrupt us. But it also isn’t how Jerry wants to spend his money. He’d rather have a bad season or two than pay someone not to coach.
I think it was on another post, but there was mention of being a big time program. Keeping someone around who is obviously not the one to take the next step is poor management. A successful program puts people in seats. A successful program brings in good players. If this program is going to be run on the cheap, we should have stayed in FCS. Playing in a weak conference like the Big South, even Gill can luck up every 6 or 7 years and make the playoffs.
By Jonathan Carone
I don’t think not wanting to pay a multi-million dollar buyout to a staff and then needing to pay multi-millions to a new staff is being cheap. Sometimes it’s just waiting out a bad decision. It’s not fun as a fan but from an administrative standpoint, I can understand it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BigRed1 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

I think it was on another post, but there was mention of being a big time program. Keeping someone around who is obviously not the one to take the next step is poor management. A successful program puts people in seats. A successful program brings in good players. If this program is going to be run on the cheap, we should have stayed in FCS. Playing in a weak conference like the Big South, even Gill can luck up every 6 or 7 years and make the playoffs.
Leadership often times revolves around making the best bad decision
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Last year would have been tough with us adding 30 players and only having about 12 early commits last year. Personally i think were probably stuck with gill one more year and they will force him to make an internal change like singletary as dc.

This is all wimbos d from what ive heard. I dont think we have anyone on defensive staff here that could do better and you cant get someone legit from outside on 1 year deal. So probably stuck with same group or singletary as dc.

I think 3 of our top 4 assts are on the offensive side complicating things (neither coordinator).
By BigRed1
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t think not wanting to pay a multi-million dollar buyout to a staff and then needing to pay multi-millions to a new staff is being cheap. Sometimes it’s just waiting out a bad decision. It’s not fun as a fan but from an administrative standpoint, I can understand it.
Jonathan, you’re a straight up guy and I enjoy reading your post, but I still think it’s being cheap. If we’re talking about being a big time program we have to be willing to bite the bullet sometimes. Would Alabama or Oklahoma wait until a underperforming coach’s contract expires? I don’t think they would. They and other big time teams have proven otherwise. If this is Jerry Jr. ‘s mindset then Jerry Sr. ‘s dream of being a Notre Dame or a BYU is dead. I agree that it should be done at the end of the season. Doing it now would be of no benefit. There’s no one on this staff that’s capable of doing any better and you couldn’t get any qualified person to take over this late into the season. But I think it needs to be done. Gill has had more than enough time to prove himself. The only way that a football program makes big money, unless you’re Notre Dame, is to belong to a conference with tv package money coming in. And there’s no conference that’s going to be interested in a team whose ceiling is usually 5-6 wins every year unless you’re in a big market area. Liberty has and will always have to go above and beyond just because we’re Liberty. The only way we overcome that is to produce a consistent winner. The only consistency Gill has show is that he losses games he should win and win some of the games he should loss. If we’re really serious about becoming a big time program then we have to start acting like it. If not, then we need to come to the realization that we’re going to be a FBS team no better than a Coastal Carolina, just with better facilities and more money. As the saying goes, “Go big or go home” or “If you can’t run with the big dogs, get off the porch.” Junior’s going to have to make a decision as to with path he wants to take.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
BigRed1 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t think not wanting to pay a multi-million dollar buyout to a staff and then needing to pay multi-millions to a new staff is being cheap. Sometimes it’s just waiting out a bad decision. It’s not fun as a fan but from an administrative standpoint, I can understand it.
Jonathan, you’re a straight up guy and I enjoy reading your post, but I still think it’s being cheap. If we’re talking about being a big time program we have to be willing to bite the bullet sometimes. Would Alabama or Oklahoma wait until a underperforming coach’s contract expires? I don’t think they would. They and other big time teams have proven otherwise. If this is Jerry Jr. ‘s mindset then Jerry Sr. ‘s dream of being a Notre Dame or a BYU is dead. I agree that it should be done at the end of the season. Doing it now would be of no benefit. There’s no one on this staff that’s capable of doing any better and you couldn’t get any qualified person to take over this late into the season. But I think it needs to be done. Gill has had more than enough time to prove himself. The only way that a football program makes big money, unless you’re Notre Dame, is to belong to a conference with tv package money coming in. And there’s no conference that’s going to be interested in a team whose ceiling is usually 5-6 wins every year unless you’re in a big market area. Liberty has and will always have to go above and beyond just because we’re Liberty. The only way we overcome that is to produce a consistent winner. The only consistency Gill has show is that he losses games he should win and win some of the games he should loss. If we’re really serious about becoming a big time program then we have to start acting like it. If not, then we need to come to the realization that we’re going to be a FBS team no better than a Coastal Carolina, just with better facilities and more money. As the saying goes, “Go big or go home” or “If you can’t run with the big dogs, get off the porch.” Junior’s going to have to make a decision as to with path he wants to take.
The decision to retain TG was not based on money alone. It was a combination of factors, one having to do with the recruiting class and the early signing period instituted last year. If the signing period would have occurred in Feb. as normal, or if TG only had one more year on his contract, let's just say this thread probably wouldn't exist.
Should be an interesting early part of December for a lot of reasons. There is a lot more involved here than just TG and staff.
By Jonathan Carone
I don’t think it’s fair to compare us to Alabama or Oklahoma. Those programs have big time donors who have power and influence in situations like this. Jerry has actively built our financial situation in a way that guaranteed he’d never give away that power and influence. He alone makes the decision when something like this happens and whether or not he’s willing to make the change.

What we know about Jerry’s leadership is that he doesn’t love paying people to not work and will wait a year or two longer to make a coaching change if it means not having to spend as much to buy out a contract. Auburn and UNC are both in situations where they may hold onto a coach longer than fans want because of the guy out numbers.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
2 options and the first one was discussed some last year. Bring back Brandon Streeter to be the H.C and have Chad Wilt come back as the D.C. Both guys have done a great job at Clemson and Army. Two younger coaches with tons of experience, great recruiters and understand what it takes to win and work at Liberty. Second option and I have no idea the religious standpoint but Jay Bateman is the Army D.C and they have been on roll the last 3 seasons. Bateman is from VA and certainly knows how to recruit and would love to see him bring Wilt along to be the D.C.
By Ewglenn
givemethemic wrote:2 options and the first one was discussed some last year. Bring back Brandon Streeter to be the H.C and have Chad Wilt come back as the D.C. Both guys have done a great job at Clemson and Army. Two younger coaches with tons of experience, great recruiters and understand what it takes to win and work at Liberty. Second option and I have no idea the religious standpoint but Jay Bateman is the Army D.C and they have been on roll the last 3 seasons. Bateman is from VA and certainly knows how to recruit and would love to see him bring Wilt along to be the D.C.
I like the first idea. I could get behind that.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]