Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Our Next DC should be Todd Bates, who is the D-Line coach at Clemson. He has only been at Clemson for a year, but look at what they have done! Not to mention he was the D-Line coach at JSU for 3 seasons and look what they did to us last year! The man can flat coach and recruit. Money talks and we should make him the second highest paid on staff. Defense wins championships boys!
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Trump delegates well.
I don't have thoughts on any of these other comments, but this is laughable. Trump second guesses and micromanages everyone via twitter... including himself.
I really don't see that at all. Trump always has surrounded himself with the best person for the job and lets them do it. It's why he has been a successful businessman. Anyone think there is a better pick for SecDef than Mattis? What about his appointment to the Supreme Court? Choosing people has always been Trump's strength.
Seriously? What about the ever growing list of guys who have been fired/resigned?

http://www.businessinsider.com/who-has- ... ynn-2017-7
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:I guess we should begin preparing now for a 2018' lack-luster season.
Regardless of who our coach is next year, I don't see us winning more than 4 games. If Gill stays, the over under would be 2 games.
If I was IM and didn't think I could hire anyone better than what we have, I would fire myself.

Streeter 4 life.
By Ewglenn
Class of 20Something wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Trump delegates well.
I don't have thoughts on any of these other comments, but this is laughable. Trump second guesses and micromanages everyone via twitter... including himself.
I really don't see that at all. Trump always has surrounded himself with the best person for the job and lets them do it. It's why he has been a successful businessman. Anyone think there is a better pick for SecDef than Mattis? What about his appointment to the Supreme Court? Choosing people has always been Trump's strength.
Yeah he did an awesome job with Betsy Devos.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:Yeah he did an awesome job with Betsy Devos.
Not sure if serious.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
Not sure if serious.
This isn’t a Politics thread but she seems to be doing well
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m a Darren Jackson fan. Apparently he was the guy I’ve seen on the sideline that I liked.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
Not sure if serious.
This isn’t a Politics thread but she seems to be doing well
Good point. Back to the real discussion. Apologies.

EDIT: There are reports that she will be resigning soon. Okay, back to football.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
thepostman wrote:Turner Gill has Jerry's support. That is all he needs.
That is a true statement, and if the reason for that support is a belief that coach Gill provides the kind of Godly leadership he wants at the helm of our highest profile program, I applaud him for it. Some seem to think it has more to do with the personal friendships between the two of them and their families. Not a good reason.

I would hope at some point JLFJR would defer to McCaw's expert judgement if and when he says a change is needed.
Not to derail the thread, but I am selling building lots on Mars...
By Class of 20Something
Matthews and King got baptized with the team.

Turner Gill the coach can take a hike. Turner Gill the man needs to stay on the mountain. This is what this football program exists for. Expanding the Kingdom. That has been done this season.
By rtb72
flameshaw wrote:
rtb72 wrote:I guess we should begin preparing now for a 2018' lack-luster season.
Regardless of who our coach is next year, I don't see us winning more than 4 games. If Gill stays, the over under would be 2 games.
If I was IM and didn't think I could hire anyone better than what we have, I would fire myself.

Streeter 4 life.
That may be accurate...but making the games more interesting and at least unpredictable would be a plus. Also, regardless of next year's record; a new coaching staff would give us some new blood and maybe something to look forward to in 2019 and 2020. As it is...I feel pretty certain we know where we're going as a program otherwise, and one can be fairly certain that bowl games and .500 records will be unlikely even looking past 2018/19/20....
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Matthews and King got baptized with the team.

Turner Gill the coach can take a hike. Turner Gill the man needs to stay on the mountain. This is what this football program exists for. Expanding the Kingdom. That has been done this season.

This is awesome. If Jerry kept Turner based on his impact on the spiritual climate of the University, I would applaud and would even be okay with 7-4 the rest of LU's existence.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:

This is awesome. If Jerry kept Turner based on his impact on the spiritual climate of the University, I would applaud and would even be okay with 7-4 the rest of LU's existence.
You are dangerously close to #Gill4life Embrace it :flamingdevil
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
R i wrote:

You are dangerously close to #Gill4life Embrace it :flamingdevil
Which is the opposite of the dark side you still claim to be a part of. Let it go. You’ve embraced the light side.
By CCWMichael
Reality. Gill bites as a motivator. Check his records. Switzer, Spurrier, and many others motivators. Do we desire mediocrity? If so, Gill is the man. There are many better leaders of men who can inspire to a higher degree than Gill. Do we desire million dollar donors? Wins will start to do that. Gill will not do that. We need a motivator.

Gill is a great spiritual leader. Faith does not require brimstone. A multitude of coaches practice their faith and just as all of us in many different ways. We can easily bring in a man of faith who practices through his actions and deeds. If he does not bring the brimstone we have the resources to compliment that.

If I were able to be a million-dollar donor; I would not invest in Gill ... PERIOD!
By Ewglenn
CCWMichael wrote:Reality. Gill bites as a motivator. Check his records. Switzer, Spurrier, and many others motivators. Do we desire mediocrity? If so, Gill is the man. There are many better leaders of men who can inspire to a higher degree than Gill. Do we desire million dollar donors? Wins will start to do that. Gill will not do that. We need a motivator.

Gill is a great spiritual leader. Faith does not require brimstone. A multitude of coaches practice their faith and just as all of us in many different ways. We can easily bring in a man of faith who practices through his actions and deeds. If he does not bring the brimstone we have the resources to compliment that.

If I were able to be a million-dollar donor; I would not invest in Gill ... PERIOD!
+1 #getgillgone
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:No
Yes..
Whatever’s
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Some days I think if we would fix our defense, we would be ok. In all our losses, we gave up too many points, except St Francis, but in reality giving up 13 to them may be too many.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
As the season has progressed and the fire Gill theme has gotten stronger, one should ask, "are there any signs of improvement from this year to last year???" We all know how troubling our defense has been this year, yet they flat-out won us the game against the Dukes last week and the second-half against GW they played decent. But seriously, are there any signs of improvement? I would say, "YES."

First, Gill continues to recruit well. Ever since he came on the mountain he has over and over again recruited well. Most of the players that have stuck here have developed and been some HUGE playmakers for us. The move to FBS will further show Gill's ability to recruit well and that will pay dividends for us in the near future. Yet, we all know defense wins games and championships and something has to give in that department. Yes, players make plays but coaches help put them in the right position to make those plays with good scouting and adjustments.

Second, Gill's decision to move Stamm to O-line coach and Dailey to OC from year 1 to year 2 has taken a BIG JUMP!!!! To this I give Gill the credit for making that hard decision.
Look at these stats in 2016:
27.5 points per game
348 yards per game
70 snaps a game
35% 3rd down conversions
84 % red zone scoring
62% red zone touchdowns

Now, let's look at 2017:
32.4 Points Per Game (basically +5ppg)
445.9 Yards Per Game (basically 100 yards more a game)
76 Snaps per game (6 more snaps per game)
44% 3rd down conversion (+9% on 3rd downs is huge)
87% redzone scoring (+3%)
58% redzone TD scoring (-4%)

We are looking at significant improvement in year 2 of Dailey's offense. Purple mentioned that the o-line is not equipped to run uptempo for extended periods of time. I can only imagine year 3 being better in the uptempo department.

As I look at these stats and I read y'alls comments, I can't help but say lets play this thing out with his contract. I believe he has 2 years left on the contract and he should finish it out. I look forward to supporting HCTG for as long as he is at LU and continuing to appreciate the man of God he is!
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:As the season has progressed and the fire Gill theme has gotten stronger, one should ask, "are there any signs of improvement from this year to last year???" We all know how troubling our defense has been this year, yet they flat-out won us the game against the Dukes last week and the second-half against GW they played decent. But seriously, are there any signs of improvement? I would say, "YES."

First, Gill continues to recruit well. Ever since he came on the mountain he has over and over again recruited well. Most of the players that have stuck here have developed and been some HUGE playmakers for us. The move to FBS will further show Gill's ability to recruit well and that will pay dividends for us in the near future. Yet, we all know defense wins games and championships and something has to give in that department. Yes, players make plays but coaches help put them in the right position to make those plays with good scouting and adjustments.

Second, Gill's decision to move Stamm to O-line coach and Dailey to OC from year 1 to year 2 has taken a BIG JUMP!!!! To this I give Gill the credit for making that hard decision.
Look at these stats in 2016:
27.5 points per game
348 yards per game
70 snaps a game
35% 3rd down conversions
84 % red zone scoring
62% red zone touchdowns

Now, let's look at 2017:
32.4 Points Per Game (basically +5ppg)
445.9 Yards Per Game (basically 100 yards more a game)
76 Snaps per game (6 more snaps per game)
44% 3rd down conversion (+9% on 3rd downs is huge)
87% redzone scoring (+3%)
58% redzone TD scoring (-4%)

We are looking at significant improvement in year 2 of Dailey's offense. Purple mentioned that the o-line is not equipped to run uptempo for extended periods of time. I can only imagine year 3 being better in the uptempo department.

As I look at these stats and I read y'alls comments, I can't help but say lets play this thing out with his contract. I believe he has 2 years left on the contract and he should finish it out. I look forward to supporting HCTG for as long as he is at LU and continuing to appreciate the man of God he is!
A couple of things. First of all your body of evidence ie. two years, is statistically meaningless. Usually it takes 30 distinct pieces of data to have any statistical viability. In addition, the fact that the teams we played in 2016 are much different than the teams we played in 2017 further complicate the issue.
Another thing that is painfully obvious, is that while our defense may have played well in the second half of last game and decent against G-W, they have played very poorly, over the course of the season. While not a direct correlation, there is some minor relevance to the fact that other BSC teams (none of them as good as teams as we are), gave up less points to Monmouth and KSU, than we did. In reality, we should not lose/have lost to ANY BSC team this year, if our coaching staff is doing just a decent job. Lose to St. Francis? Never in 100 years. In reality, we should have only lost to Baylor, who we beat and we must give TG credit for, and JSU.
As I recall (not going to go back and look), I don't remember anyone in the preseason discussion thinking that we should lose 4 games, or thinking that TG keeps his job, with that number of losses.
Finally, as I have said before, (I am old but not totally senile YET), a much more relevant set of data, is what we have accomplished in the six years since TG has arrived. Overall, I don't know of anyone, of the many people that I have spoken to, that think we are better off as a football team/program than when he came to the mountain. By any set of objective evidence, I don't know how anyone, with a modicum of football knowledge, can come to that decision.
I am reminded of a very recent political analogy. For the last year, everyone has been talking about the Dim-o-crats being in the toilet, they hadn't won any special elections since Trump became president, etc. Today however, because of some expected, easy wins by the Dim-o-crats, now some are predicting a complete turnover of the Congress in 2018. Likewise, after laying at least 3 big fat turds, we won two games we should have easily won, and some are climbing back on the TG broken-down bandwagon. My hope is that, regardless of the outcome of the last two games, that the administration does what is best for the program and the university and makes a change that includes the entire coaching staff. No need to delay the inevitable. Six years of mediocrity, with no continuous improvement, is more than enough.
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]