Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Ok.
He won’t really have a chance to be institutionally successful there. He will be better paid and appreciated here. IF he’d leave it would have to be for a school where he can win right now and forever. Vandy ain’t it
By Jonathan Carone
It may not be Vandy. It may be Arkansas. Or Missouri. Or whoever. I think the specific school matters less to their family than the conference does.

And I don’t fault them for it.

If you listen/read the comments the family has made, you see the pedestal they’ve put the SEC on. If the pinnacle of the profession is “SEC” to them then, unless they truly fall in love with the Bubble, “SEC head coach” will always be more attractive than “Liberty head coach.”
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think he’d leave for Vanderbilt next year if it opened.

That could change, but it looks like that family values the SEC that highly.
Jonathan Carone wrote:It may not be Vandy. It may be Arkansas. Or Missouri. Or whoever. I think the specific school matters less to their family than the conference does.

And I don’t fault them for it.

If you listen/read the comments the family has made, you see the pedestal they’ve put the SEC on. If the pinnacle of the profession is “SEC” to them then, unless they truly fall in love with the Bubble, “SEC head coach” will always be more attractive than “Liberty head coach.”
I can maybe see Arkansas. Not Missouri
I also think you frame the argument wrong SEC Head Coach vs Legendary Coach
By cruzan_flame13
Clearly Freeze really love football. I think it’s more than just winning to home like some other coaches. I’m not saying he wouldn’t hit the road if an SEC team give him an offer, but I wouldn’t be surprise if he stays here and grow this program into an unexpected powerhouse and become a legend. It doesn’t seem so because we are used to the typical institutions that grew in the 20th century, but this is a new century. I for one will be able (Lord willing of course) to experience the level that LU will go and for all who give in to create something that we all can be proud of. It’s fine to criticize because we are in the present, but let’s see what can happen. Also Jerry Jr says he loves football and his father’s vision. It’s time to step it up and so far he’s done pretty good with McCaw and Freeze.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:I can maybe see Arkansas. Not Missouri
Honest question: have you paid attention to the interviews we are referencing and read/heard the quotes or are you just speaking in generalities?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I can maybe see Arkansas. Not Missouri
Honest question: have you paid attention to the interviews we are referencing and read/heard the quotes or are you just speaking in generalities?
I’ve heard a hand full. He’s speaking from a point of reference. Yes the SEC is the Pinnacle Conference in College football. But after being at Ole Miss he isn’t going to take a ‘step down’ in prestige to return. Missouri and Vanderbilt would be a step down. He also has been at LU about 23 minutes. Let him understand that he could be a legendary coach here as opposed to another Gus Malzahn
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I heard Finebaum's & one more. It's def. not the way I would handle it even if it's my intention to step us. Post some more of them if you can find them. Vandy or especially Mizzou would make me think he's not as smart as I currently think he is because of the academic restrictions at Vandy and Mizzou's problems are well documented. Arkansas I could see somewhat but man what's it take to get that program on track.

There's another option that isn't really being talked about. I'm not sure Sankey and the conference won't have him blackballed. I mean supposedly he was blocked by Tennessee so I can't imagine Mizzou or Vandy would hire him with their current set-up and even if they would I can still see Sankey giving him the perm. finger ha.

I have heard he has been impressed so far with the organization of the program and how "bought in" the staff and faculty is to the vision.

I would still put it 50/50 at this point should he have the success that he hopes to have.
By Jonathan Carone
My argument is that it’s sounded like his family’s goal coming in was to use Liberty to spring board back to the SEC. He could absolutely fall in love with the school and want to stay here forever.

But if he doesn’t choose to be a legend at Liberty, I can’t fault him for that. And I won’t be mad about it.

It’s ironic now given the way things changed so quickly, but I’m a big fan of what Temple’s AD said when he hired Manny Diaz. Someone asked him about Diaz leaving for his dream job and he said if they were hugging after winning a great bowl game and Diaz said he had an offer for his dream job, he’d celebrate him and tell him to go for it then he’d find the best next coach for Temple.

That concept is where I’m at. If we have the success needed for the SEC to come calling on Freeze, I’ll thank him for what he’s done and trust Ian to find the best next guy.
By Ewglenn
Jonathan Carone wrote:I think he’d leave for Vanderbilt next year if it opened.

That could change, but it looks like that family values the SEC that highly.
I thought Vandy would likely be the landing spot. He can recruit above his school and Vandy isn’t a terrible recruiting school (just SEC standards). It would be easy to fill out a decent roster and pickup one or two big names. I just can’t see the others taking a shot that soon.
By Class of 20Something
Auburn will need some sustainable success for their boosters to keep Gus. Saban has to retire in a few years. I don't see Dabo jumping ship to the SEC. If Freeze is successful here, those are two big and worthy programs that could open up in a few years.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't think the SEC comes calling with a head coaching gig for at least 2 more years. There needs to be proof he can truly lead a program again for a program to be willing to deal with the backlash that is sure to come at a public university when hiring HF.

But I certainly agree, his goal is clearly to get back to the SEC.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think all this talk about Coach Freeze going to SEC should cease. Heck, he has yet to coach a game at LU, or even conduct a practice. It sounds as if some do not have any confidence in him.

Sidebar: When Saban retires, Dabo Swinney will replace him.
By Old Red
When Saban retires, I’m confident Dabo will be at the top of Bama’s list. But, I don’t Dabo’s think Dabo will leave Clemson.
Bama can only go down from here. Not a position I’d want to step into. Clemson will continue to give him everything he needs to succeed & he can become college football’s next “Saban” by building a dynasty at Clemson.
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote:I think all this talk about Coach Freeze going to SEC should cease. Heck, he has yet to coach a game at LU, or even conduct a practice. It sounds as if some do not have any confidence in him.

Sidebar: When Saban retires, Dabo Swinney will replace him.
Ummmm, I agree ballcoach15.
Will he be the Paterno of LU?
Will he leave for another gig.
Reality check ... SEC has some pretty stout programs and great recruiting possibilities.
I can see it flip either way.
He did turn down three dang sweet offers to come to LU.
Reality of modern day coaching is he may flip --- then again there are those that stay.
There are way too many positives and negatives for each side.
So he may or may not TRANSFER.
And, one of proteges could step right in and keep us rolling?
My crystal ball has no clue what is in this man's heart and mind so I just want to enjoy this while I can and pray I am not in tears in a few years.

Freeze bandwagon here! And, it is a great place to be!
By Jonathan Carone
We don’t know that he turned down the SEC OC offers. By all accounts, he was blocked by boosters in most of those cases.

I am thrilled Freeze is here. I think he’s going to do really well while he’s here. I think he’s in the upper echelon of college coaches. We are going to be good under him. I just hope we appreciate it for however long we have it and don’t get upset when he moves on.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Old Red wrote:When Saban retires, I’m confident Dabo will be at the top of Bama’s list. But, I don’t Dabo’s think Dabo will leave Clemson.
Bama can only go down from here. Not a position I’d want to step into. Clemson will continue to give him everything he needs to succeed & he can become college football’s next “Saban” by building a dynasty at Clemson.
You never want to be The Guy Who Follows The Legend. You always want to be The Guy Who follows The Guy Who follows the Legend

I have no idea why who kept getting capitalized
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
And BC, you’re saying Dabo-to-Bama is the 00.1% time it will not fall that way?

And btw, the Freeze-to-the-SEC talk is because of what everyone with the last name of “Freeze” has been saying. If there’s less confidence in HCHF than there should be, it is because of HCHF.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:And BC, you’re saying Dabo-to-Bama is the 00.1% time it will not fall that way?

And btw, the Freeze-to-the-SEC talk is because of what everyone with the last name of “Freeze” has been saying. If there’s less confidence in HCHF than there should be, it is because of HCHF.

No I am not saying that. I am saying that most of the time whoever follows a legend, isn't successful. I am sure there have been some who were, but not many.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Man...some of y’all must have been absolute train wrecks with girls. Just relax. She’s into you.
The two quotes that stand out to me are when HCHF reffered to the SEC as "our league" on the finebaum show, and then when his wife recenltly wrote an article discussing "their story" and said they " had a new opportunity to get back on the field at Liberty University, and they did not know what their future held as it relates to coaching"

Jill - I know what your future holds, its a 5 year contract at LU.

You can say I am reading way too much into it, but its consistent with all of the other quotes you see. If you are hired at a new job, I am pretty sure you dont write an email to all of your co-workers stating " I am happy to be here, not sure where we will be working in the future. "
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Come on, RI, jump off that paranoid wagon that you're riding. Mrs. Freeze doesn't know Lynchburg yet, and probably doesn't even know what house or what part of town she wants to live in. The last I heard from Ballcoach's sources, Hugh Freeze was living out of the Mansion on campus.

Ballcoach is right. Give the Freeze family a chance to make Lynchburg their home. Coming from Oxford, MS, they probably consider Virginia moving "up north." I lived in Oxford, MS long enough to know that anything above Memphis is considered "north" to them.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
3-5 years of HCHF at LU would be incredible. I do not see anything passed that being possible.

I am just a little concerned it will be 1 or 2 seasons and leave the program in a hard spot. #InIanWeTrust

Either way, I have enjoyed the ride so far, and look forward to the 2019 season.
By Class of 20Something
R i wrote:3-5 years of HCHF at LU would be incredible. I do not see anything passed that being possible.

I am just a little concerned it will be 1 or 2 seasons and leave the program in a hard spot. #InIanWeTrust

Either way, I have enjoyed the ride so far, and look forward to the 2019 season.
I think watching Troy replace Brown, could be beneficial to us right now.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]