Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
jinxy wrote:Its obvious we are not plucking away big time winning p5 coaches. I thought you and jon were implying the job would not attract p5 coordinators or the freeze types. I honestly think freeze will have multiple oc spots offered after this year. For certain he had multiple sec schools interest this past year.
I’m not implying that. I fully believe it. I think we are one successful coach away from attracting those guys.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:LU Dad: "
Personally, I have my doubts that NCAA would have been very receptive to the LU bid had Trump not been elected."

Just another one of the many reasons to be ecstatic the The Trumpster is in the White House. 8)
I know a lot of folks have that opinion, but I can't imagine the NCAA brass thinking that way. We had to go through the NCAA Division I Strategic Vision and Planning Committee, the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee and the NCAA office of legal affairs before it ever got to the NCAA academic and membership affairs staff to approve the move. You would never get that many prideful NCAA officials to roll over for a president I'm sure most of them hold in utter contempt.

I think we had a strong case and did a masterful job presenting it, especially from the perspective of how difficult it is for committed faith-based schools to receive conference invitations. The NCAA had just witnessed the backlash from LGBT advocacy groups against BYU potentially joining the Big 12, and I would imagine that watching a current FBS independent get rejected in its bid to join a Power 5 conference solely because it chooses to adhere to the teachings of its faith was a factor in their decision.

Clearly, our facilities and willingness to invest in our athletic programs indicated we were ready. And I'm convinced this is the type of outcome Jerry expected when he hired Ian to be the AD. He knows the process and he knows the people. He managed to get the NCAA president to come to a convocation, and then gave him what I'm sure was a killer tour of our facilities, which can impress any visitor to the campus.

If they had any fear, it was more likely the unspoken threat of a lawsuit, but that's just pure speculation on my part.
By LUDad
rmiller1959 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:LU Dad: "
Personally, I have my doubts that NCAA would have been very receptive to the LU bid had Trump not been elected."

Just another one of the many reasons to be ecstatic the The Trumpster is in the White House. 8)
I know a lot of folks have that opinion, but I can't imagine the NCAA brass thinking that way. We had to go through the NCAA Division I Strategic Vision and Planning Committee, the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee and the NCAA office of legal affairs before it ever got to the NCAA academic and membership affairs staff to approve the move. You would never get that many prideful NCAA officials to roll over for a president I'm sure most of them hold in utter contempt.

I think we had a strong case and did a masterful job presenting it, especially from the perspective of how difficult it is for committed faith-based schools to receive conference invitations. The NCAA had just witnessed the backlash from LGBT advocacy groups against BYU potentially joining the Big 12, and I would imagine that watching a current FBS independent get rejected in its bid to join a Power 5 conference solely because it chooses to adhere to the teachings of its faith was a factor in their decision.

Clearly, our facilities and willingness to invest in our athletic programs indicated we were ready. And I'm convinced this is the type of outcome Jerry expected when he hired Ian to be the AD. He knows the process and he knows the people. He managed to get the NCAA president to come to a convocation, and then gave him what I'm sure was a killer tour of our facilities, which can impress any visitor to the campus.

If they had any fear, it was more likely the unspoken threat of a lawsuit, but that's just pure speculation on my part.
Your last paragraph is precisely the point. The NCAA was well aware that Jr. had the ear of the POTUS for his early support. They would have been foolish not to realize the potential of the justice department getting behind an LU discrimination suit. I don't think that's a battle they wanted to fight.
By Class of 20Something
LUDad wrote:
Your last paragraph is precisely the point. The NCAA was well aware that Jr. had the ear of the POTUS for his early support. They would have been foolish not to realize the potential of the justice department getting behind an LU discrimination suit. I don't think that's a battle they wanted to fight.
As if this president could get his judges appointed. I don't know how the very successful obstructionist movement isn't leading headlines.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Wait. Are you guys saying it was because of Trump that LU is now FBS. Holy cow.
By Ewglenn
My thoughts on HCTG:

He is a great guy and is a decent recruiter. I was all aboard the fire Gill train this offseason. Since we didn’t I feel we should ride with him a few more years. The opportunity to fire him was there after a meh season and a new AD. There really isn’t a standard of success to go off of this year since it’s our first FBS. You can make an argument for him to stay as long as he doesn’t lose to one of the FCS teams. As long as we keep it respectable, outside of the Auburn and Army games, he will likely be back. I think since we didn’t make a move we have to stay with him at least 2-3 years. If we move on after this season it will really hurt our recruiting and destroy our reputation for prospective head coaches.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Its obvious we are not plucking away big time winning p5 coaches. I thought you and jon were implying the job would not attract p5 coordinators or the freeze types..
We aren't going to get those kind of coaches yet. Thats what I was saying. we need to be successful to be attractive to those kind of coaches. Jon is a little more optimistic than I am. I think we are probably two coaches away, I think our improvement is slow and steady but I just can't see in the next 5-7 years us being an attractive landing spot for those kind of coaches. And with the way coaching carousel's turn these days I'd estimate we will have on coach in between TG and the one who brings us to the national spot light. I see a Rocco type coach next. Improve the program. Rise expectations but Just can't quite get over the hump.
By Jonathan Carone
We are one coach away if the next guy is the right guy. He has to have success to prove our model can actually work. Until that is proven (and it never has been), we aren’t going to get the guy so many here are expecting.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Wait. Are you guys saying it was because of Trump that LU is now FBS. Holy cow.
Some believe that. That's a bridge too far for me, but this is a discussion board - all thoughts are welcome!
By LUDad
rmiller1959 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Wait. Are you guys saying it was because of Trump that LU is now FBS. Holy cow.
Some believe that. That's a bridge too far for me, but this is a discussion board - all thoughts are welcome!
I don't say this to take away from all that LU did in its presentations. I'm sure they were impressive, to say the least. However, I don't think that any presentation would have been enough had Mrs. Clinton been elected POTUS.
By LUDad
thepostman wrote:That doesn't even make any sense. People believe crazy things.
I'm curious, why is this crazy? BTW, I did not vote for Trump in the primary...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
Because it makes absolutely zero sense. I'm not even sure how you can connect those dots.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:I did not vote for Trump in the primary...
Most of us probably didn't either. I was a Rubio man in the primaries.
By cruzan_flame13
If one cannot connect connect the dots on something, it doesn’t make it wrong or crazy. Case in point on how a mass can be deceived easily. Tell someone someone something, even if it’s a lie, and eventually they will believe it. That also pertains to the way a civilization is structured to live on a daily basis. Anywho, carry on.
By LUDad
Actually, i think it's more crazy to believe that the NCAA was so dazzled by our presentation that they simply could not resist setting aside their rules for a conservative religious university whose admin supported Trump.

I believe the presentation blew away all the "legitimate" arguments the NCAA could have presented in a court of law.

Dot one: The Obama admin demonstrated that the justice department was a political tool at their disposal. Do you really believe LU would have had a chance for a waver if Mrs. Clinton were POTUS, especially after Jr. so publicly supported her nemesis? The NCAA would not have feared a court battle in that politically favorable environment.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
What does POTUS have to do with the NCAA?
When did LU make their presentation?
The fact LU was willing to go to Court and the fact that the NCAA was had a high chance of losing was the deciding factor.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I dont believe Hillary or Donald would use the justice department to help or hurt LU's chances with the NCAA. If you believe that then that doesn't speak very highly of either person.

I think that Ian's friendships in high places helped our case more than anything and the potential of a possible lawsuit.

Ian's connections are the main reason Jerry took the risk and hired him. It is paying off. Simple as that.
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote:
LUDad wrote:
What does POTUS have to do with the NCAA?
When did LU make their presentation?
The fact LU was willing to go to Court and the fact that the NCAA was had a high chance of losing was the deciding factor.
The justice department is part of the executive branch of government. I could forsee the justice department entering the fray on either side of such a court battle, depending on who was POTUS. That could tip the scale.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:When all is said and done, LU was holding the Trump card...

Forgive me. I couldn't resist... 8)
What does the Executive Branch have to do with the NCAA?
Are you also saying that had any other person been POTUS LU would not have been granted FBS status? :dontgetit
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote:

Are you also saying that had any other person been POTUS LU would not have been granted FBS status? :dontgetit
Executive Branch has nothing to do with the NCAA. But that branch's chief executive is the POTUS. Justice is a department in that branch. I imagine a call here or there could do wonders as to what cases could be of interest to the justice department.

Regarding your second paragraph, I'm suggesting that the political enviroment would have been entirely different under a different POTUS. I don't think the NCAA would have been as shy about a court battle in that environment.

BTW, did not mean to hijack the forum, sorry. This topic should be elsewhere.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Executive Branch has nothing to do with the NCAA. But that branch's chief executive is the POTUS. Justice is a department in that branch. I imagine a call here or there could do wonders as to what cases could be of interest to the justice department.

Regarding your second paragraph, I'm suggesting that the political enviroment would have been entirely different under a different POTUS. I don't think the NCAA would have been as shy about a court battle in that environment.

BTW, did not mean to hijack the forum, sorry. This topic should be elsewhere.
What exactly could the Justice Department do? Sue the NCAA on Libert’s behalf? Your response to my second question seems to indicate you think a President would tell a Judge how they should rule on a case :dontgetit
By LUDad
Purple,

You well know, the Justice Department would not sue on Liberty's behalf.

If LU had to file suit against the NCAA, the Justice Department could step in and petitioned the court in order to file an amicus brief on behalf of either party (LU or NCAA) in order to influence the court's decision one way or the other. One such brief is listed below...

https://www.law.com/nationallawjournal/ ... ay-Couple/

One can only imagine the influence that such a brief could have on the outcome. If the Justice Department were to take an interest in such a hypothetical case as LU vs. NCAA, it stands to reason that the side that the JD took would depend on who was POTUS, correct?

It is my opinion that the NCAA had no desire to go down the legal road to see what can of worms might be opened. Grant the waiver and move on. Also, was it a coincidence that both LU's request for the waver and the inauguration of Trump occurred in mid-January? Was LU making a statement with the timing? I don't know. You be the judge.

Enough of the conspiracy theories. Lets move on to the proper topic.

...Speaking of conspiracy theories, I wonder if Purple is manipulating me into arguing this case for him.
Last edited by LUDad on August 4th, 2018, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm that[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]