Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Defense will have to be overhauled maybe with a new DC and additional (talented) bodies. As Coach Gill said he wants to see improved play on the DL, LB, and especially the secondary. Though I think the lack of talent in the secondary was exposed by a weak DL and a general lack of pressure from the front 7 all year and the LBs seldom plugged the gaps in the running game, the result 450 yards a game and one of the very worst defenses in the FCS!!

We will be competitive next year in FBS with a revamped defense and a running game that can keep possession and keep the defense off the field and where Buckshot doesn't have to do it all.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Along with the money factor, and no candidates we were comfortable in being interested of course.

RE: Tennessee pt. 2

LOL
No candidates= zero reason for not making the change.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
BigRed1 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I’m glad Gill is staying. But if THAT is why he is staying it’s not a good reason
In an earlier post you said Gill was a worthless coach, but now you’re saying you’re glad he’s staying. If you agree that he’s not a very good coach, why do you want him to stay? Kind of a conflicting statement.
The post you reference is sarcasm. There are those on this board who go out of their way to point out they feel Gill is a worthless coach. I have never been one of them
Sorry for any confusion
100% guilty. Good man, not a good or even better than average coach.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Defense will have to be overhauled maybe with a new DC and additional (talented) bodies. As Coach Gill said he wants to see improved play on the DL, LB, and especially the secondary. Though I think the lack of talent in the secondary was exposed by a weak DL and a general lack of pressure from the front 7 all year and the LBs seldom plugged the gaps in the running game, the result 450 yards a game and one of the very worst defenses in the FCS!!

We will be competitive next year in FBS with a revamped defense and a running game that can keep possession and keep the defense off the field and where Buckshot doesn't have to do it all.
Love your optimism, but you don't normally go from being horrible to competitive in one year, especially with playing a much tougher schedule. The DL can usually improve quicker than the OL, but we don't have much talent at all on the OL right now at all.
Our only hope for next year was a new coach and even then, it would have been difficult. With the same coaching staff, it will be akin to walking on water, carrying 100 lb. anvils. 2018 is going to be a completely wasted year. I was going to go to the Army game, but can you imagine watching that game against the triple option with our same defense? I believe I will wait until a future year when we have a new staff. Gill should be happy there was this new signing date in December. IM didn't actually give him a huge boost of confidence/support in the paper today. 8) I disagree with the decision to retain him, but it will at least be for a year that doesn't matter. I suspect things will take care of themselves after that. Especially when his contract is up, or a little easier to swallow and after a losing season.
By rtb72
JK37 wrote:He’s not making $800k
I think his total package is not far from that. Regardless....return on investment is not there. He is one of the highest paid FCS coaches.
By rtb72
lawrenceq wrote:
rtb72 wrote:
lawrenceq wrote:Turner had one winning season before Liberty so what did folks expect? :?:
A glimpse of improvement, passion for the win, engagement and motivation of the team....you know, the stuff expected of a HC making 800K
If you hire a below average coach, don't expect to be an elite team. Turner's best season was 8-6 at Buffalo.
I would argue the expectations outlined are not "expecting an elite team"...they are simple expectations of pretty much any coach..from middle school on up. The fact he is well paid simply says he is performing below simple expectations.
By rtb72
rtb72 wrote:
I think his total package is not far from that. Regardless....return on investment is not there. He is one of the highest paid FCS coaches.
Turner Gill received a base salary of $658,492 and a total compensation package of $750,116 for the Liberty fiscal year ending June 30, 2015, according to tax documents retrieved online.

Sorry for not being to the penny exact.....as I said, return on investment is not there.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:
rtb72 wrote:
Turner Gill received a base salary of $658,492 and a total compensation package of $750,116 for the Liberty fiscal year ending June 30, 2015, according to tax documents retrieved online.

Sorry for not being to the penny exact.....as I said, return on investment is not there.
At $75,116 the ROI isn't there.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
From the article:
Coach Gill and I met to review the program at the end of the season,” McCaw said in a phone interview. “He’s someone who is a very Godly man, cares about his coaches, his staff, his student-athletes and represents Liberty in a first-class manner.
Gill is being rewarded for his outstanding representation of Liberty and decent recruiting skills. Nothing in McCaw's statement at all about on field performance. Which his mom always said, "If you can't say something nice...".
By Class of 20Something
flamehunter wrote:From the article:
Coach Gill and I met to review the program at the end of the season,” McCaw said in a phone interview. “He’s someone who is a very Godly man, cares about his coaches, his staff, his student-athletes and represents Liberty in a first-class manner.
Gill is being rewarded for his outstanding representation of Liberty and decent recruiting skills. Nothing in McCaw's statement at all about on field performance. Which his mom always said, "If you can't say something nice...".
I think you're onto something here. I also think that more than the Early Signing Period, this recruiting class is more important because of the vast numbers of recruits we will have to pull in.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I hate to break it to all of us but it sounds like we’ve got Gill for 2 more seasons. I believe his contract is up after 2019 season. We will have an even younger squad next year with 25 freshman. The youth argument will be made in addition to the tougher competition which will give Gill his final year and he will have that one year of competition where were bowl eligible. After that and the transition fully behind us he will be let go.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Speaking of running the ball, I saw that Davis the RB at Hertiage has received offers from ODU andJMU this week. I hope LU offers him also.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: "expecting an elite team"...they are simple expectations of pretty much any coach..from middle school on up. The fact he is well paid simply says he is performing below simple expectations.
When you spend like Liberty you want championships; you want an elite team. You win championships with elite players and elite coaches (debatable). My point is Turner is average at best, so regardless of his salary, Liberty is getting all they will ever get out of him.
Last edited by lawrenceq on December 1st, 2017, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
flamehunter wrote:From the article:
I think you're onto something here. I also think that more than the Early Signing Period, this recruiting class is more important because of the vast numbers of recruits we will have to pull in.
Another way of looking at it is that TG has been given enough rope to hang himself. He gets a year to get in his "FBS recruits", "get into homes we weren't able to get in before", etc. The he goes out and lays a big egg next year.
I believe JB has a lot responsibility for this fiasco. Like Dale Layer, TG and his staff were given exorbitant salaries, for waaaaaaay too long, (especially the assistants), with no proof of their ability to execute.
This situation will correct itself, but unfortunately it will cost us 2-4 years of mediocre play and retard the velocity of improvement, that we really need.
Don't you think that if the admin was REALLY behind TG, they would have extended his contract another year, like they do at most schools?

Gill 4 life.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:
rtb72 wrote: "expecting an elite team"...they are simple expectations of pretty much any coach..from middle school on up. The fact he is well paid simply says he is performing below simple expectations.
When you spend like Liberty you want championships; you want an elite team. You win championships with elite players and elite coaches. My point is Turner is average at best, so regardless of his salary, Liberty is getting all they will ever get out of him.
Just my guess, but when TG and IM sat down to speak about the past year and the future of the program, this subject was front and center. I suspect TG has no illusions about what is expected going forward. If he doesn't, he only has to look at what happened to our VB coach.
I didn't know Pinder, but I hear he was a whole lot like TG as far as a good person, etc. But you also have to get it done on the field/court. I don't see IM settling for "good enough" after the old JB contract snafu's and culture is finally eradicated.
By rtb72
lawrenceq wrote:
When you spend like Liberty you want championships; you want an elite team. You win championships with elite players and elite coaches (debatable). My point is Turner is average at best, so regardless of his salary, Liberty is getting all they will ever get out of him.
I agree with that!
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
I know it sucks, but it is what it is.

Just something to think about: what if he actually wins some ball games over the next two years? :mrgreen:
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:I know it sucks, but it is what it is.

Just something to think about: what if he actually wins some ball games over the next two years? :mrgreen:
Personally, because of his positive personal attributes, if he were to have a .500 season next year, I might would give him another year. If he were to have a winning season in 2019, I would give him a one year extension. However, the chances of that, are the same as Kimberly Gilfoyle wearing cheap shoes.
By FormerFlameFan
Jimbo Leaving FSU - There will be a house cleaning of staff..Maybe TG can become the FSU version of Bobby Boucher...For such a great man caring for the players etc....Ask some of those players from the last few years what they really think of old TG.....I think you would all be surprised.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Personally, because of his positive personal attributes, if he were to have a .500 season next year, I might would give him another year.
If he has a .500 season next year, I will be ecstatic. If he has a .500 season next year, I will become the engineer aboard the Gill Train. But I have gazed into my crystal ball, and I just do not see it happening.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]