Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:TURNER GILL

Can somebody finally shut down this thread???
Unless something catastrophic happens in the rest of the season, I agree. I can't imagine the justification of letting him go after last night.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:TURNER GILL

Can somebody finally shut down this thread???
Unless something catastrophic happens in the rest of the season, I agree. I can't imagine the justification of letting him go after last night.
Your assumption is that one is needed. Very easy to produce one out of thin air
Or give him an extension
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Gill followed up a couple FBS wins with 6-5 seasons. Going to have a wait and see approach. His change in offense does look promising though.
By sigmo7
Registration Days Posts
Great win last night no doubt. Most of the in game calls aren't done by Gill so I applaud who ever was in charge of the play calling. I'm pretty sure one area Gill or any head coach is in charge of is whether a team goes for 1 or 2 after a TD, so the thought of them doing anything other than kicking after the last TD and putting us up 10 is concerning to me.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
To a small degree i understood the decision . We are up by 9 after the Jones TD. If we hit the two, we are essentially up three scores, two with a two point conversion. We were lucky for the penalty to allow the opportunity to kick it after we failed.
By Ewglenn
BJWilliams wrote:To a small degree i understood the decision . We are up by 9 after the Jones TD. If we hit the two, we are essentially up three scores, two with a two point conversion. We were lucky for the penalty to allow the opportunity to kick it after we failed.
That was literally the dumbest thing I've seen in awhile. You take the points that late in the game. No excuse for that type of thinking.
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:To a small degree i understood the decision . We are up by 9 after the Jones TD. If we hit the two, we are essentially up three scores, two with a two point conversion. We were lucky for the penalty to allow the opportunity to kick it after we failed.
Close. Up by 9 the options

9 point lead for failed attempt or conversion.
-Two possession game. TD and FG put us behind.

10 point lead for PAT
-Two possession game. TD and FG tie the game.

11 point lead for 2-pt conversion.
-Two possession game. Baylor forced into two touchdowns to win.

I'm actually a fan of the guts. Maybe not the play, but college football thrives on upsets and trickery. Liberty going for it 4th down and going for two is what it takes. Gill never took his foot off the gas and it was obvious in our strategy.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I am of two minds on this decision. If we go for two and make it, TG is a genius. Now you force Baylor into making two touchdowns with about 5 minutes on the clock, much more difficult than a TD and a FG.
Another thought is, that it is going to take BU a minute or so to score, so we get the ball back with 3-4 minutes to go and BU only having two TO's. That means that if we run the ball and get a first down, the game is over. We were dominating their DL. In reality, if you can't make a first down in that situation, you don't deserve to win.
As it played out, I am glad we glad we kicked the ball after the penalty. I might have had a heart attack in that last 30 seconds if BU only needed a FG to win the game. Our D was out of gas, even though we did get some pressure on their QB, rushing just 3 in that last 30 seconds.
By Ewglenn
Here is a new thought, what about Brent Venerables? Amazing defensive coordinator and would be realistic in coming to LU. Maybe 3-5 million to get him.
By Class of 20Something
Ewglenn wrote:Here is a new thought, what about Brent Venerables? Amazing defensive coordinator and would be realistic in coming to LU. Maybe 3-5 million to get him.
I'm torn. I think flashy offense will help us out butts in seats in the coming years, defense isn't sexy. Defense wins games. I'd always rather have a shutdown defense.

Would be a great get. Considering how much were about to be spending on NASCAR paint, I think this is reasonable.
By Heat89
Ok, I'm not a football expert, so this post is in that context.

HCTG (or any other HC) has success based upon two primary factors:

How well he selects and hires direct reports (coaches)
and
How well he recruits and mentors student athletes.

A coach can be extremely successful based upon these two primary functions. I'm thinking about Joe Gibbs, who coached a Super Bowl champion and a NASCAR powerhouse. I doubt if Gibbs could even have gotten a job on a NASCAR team. But he knows how to place leaders in the right place and he knows how to connect with the athlete.

With that said, HCTG recruited Calvert, Gandy-Golden, et al., and based upon what I saw on Saturday night, LU will field an extremely competitive offense -capable of putting points on the board in a hurry. I've only downed half the Kool-Aid so far, so I still realize this is all within context. We're not going to run up the score on an opponent from a solid conference. But, in our scope of opponents, I don't think we will be completely out of a game, regardless of the score.

Winning has its own way of communicating.
By Class of 20Something
Has anyone tossed around the name Chip Kelly at all? I can't find anything that talks about his faith at all but he would be a big splashy coach that could help get recruits and is very good at running our high-tempo offense
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Has anyone tossed around the name Chip Kelly at all? I can't find anything that talks about his faith at all but he would be a big splashy coach that could help get recruits and is very good at running our high-tempo offense
I think his name came up. But we all agreed that he is sort of a Dick so dismissed him. Except for BJ
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Has anyone tossed around the name Chip Kelly at all? I can't find anything that talks about his faith at all but he would be a big splashy coach that could help get recruits and is very good at running our high-tempo offense
I think his name came up. But we all agreed that he is sort of a Dick so dismissed him. Except for BJ
Fair enough.
By Ewglenn
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Fair enough.
Could you imagine Buckshot with him? :shock:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thing is, CK was working with some very athletic QBs who were threats to run as well as sling the ball all over the field. When you have two or even three guys who can run and break off explosive plays in the backfield, that changes how a defense attacks and opens up the passing game as well. Buckshot, for as good a passer as he is, doesn't quite have the wheels to be an effective dual threat in a CK uptempo offense
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
bump
By Old Red
I'd be as excited as anyone about getting Dabo, but he'd never walk away from what he's got at Clemson (I don't care how big our check is).

Now, one of his assistants? Different story.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Old Red wrote:I'd be as excited as anyone about getting Dabo, but he'd never walk away from what he's got at Clemson (I don't care how big our check is).

Now, one of his assistants? Different story.
Remember ballcoach stated LU will be getting the HC from a Top 5 FBS school......
By Ewglenn
alabama24 wrote:
Old Red wrote:but he'd never walk away from what he's got at Clemson
...until Mama calls. (Roll Tide).
Alabama is the only place I could see Dabo leaving for. I doubt he would even leave now. He is forever a legend at Clemson and he would be following potentially the greatest coach of all time. I think he would entertain it but wouldn't go in the end.
Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in fa[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]