Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Was a head coach at bowl games?
Well you didn’t SAY HC. Didn’t he also play and coach in a NC game, but as an Assistant (with a Frost as QB?)
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I’m not getting why people are mocking a 4th Place finish in the Heisman :dontgetit
20Something was probably not even born when Gill played QB for the Cornhuskers, but I was at Marshall the year Nebraska played Miami in that bowl game, and I remember watching it on TV in Huntington like it was yesterday! Gill was a GREAT college quarterback and should be respected for his accomplishments on and off the field.

Has LU had any other FB coaches who both played AND coached in bowl games?
You're right. I wasn't alive. But who finished 4th in Heisman voting in 2016? What about 2015?

Dede Westbrook? Baker Mayfield was in 4th two years ago. Who else knew that? Trevone Boykin in 2014?

TG is months older than my parents and I'm in my late 20s. Sure, it took talent to get to the level he preformed at but let's look who he lost to. Mike Rosier, Steve Young, Doug Flutie. I won't speak for anyone else here, but to me there is a considerable difference between these three players and Turner Gill.

Ultimately, his athletic accomplishments have no bearing on if he is a good coach or not. With the largest budget in FCS, with P5 style facilities, with one of the most present t fan bases in FCS, Turner Gill has decidedly steered this ship into mediocrity with such precision that we are a dog to the most anemic CSU team I have seen.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I’m not getting why people are mocking a 4th Place finish in the Heisman :dontgetit
20Something was probably not even born when Gill played QB for the Cornhuskers, but I was at Marshall the year Nebraska played Miami in that bowl game, and I remember watching it on TV in Huntington like it was yesterday! Gill was a GREAT college quarterback and should be respected for his accomplishments on and off the field.

You're right. I wasn't alive. But who finished 4th in Heisman voting in 2016? What about 2015?

Dede Westbrook? Baker Mayfield was in 4th two years ago. Who else knew that? Trevone Boykin in 2014?

TG is months older than my parents and I'm in my late 20s. Sure, it took talent to get to the level he preformed at but let's look who he lost to. Mike Rosier, Steve Young, Doug Flutie. I won't speak for anyone else here, but to me there is a considerable difference between these three players and Turner Gill.

Ultimately, his athletic accomplishments have no bearing on if he is a good coach or not. With the largest budget in FCS, with P5 style facilities, with one of the most present t fan bases in FCS, Turner Gill has decidedly steered this ship into mediocrity with such precision that we are a dog to the most anemic CSU team I have seen.
You missed the point and it wasn’t soley directed at you. I was just saying that finishing 4th in the Heisman is a huge accomplishment in football. There is no way around it. I just dont understand why people want to mock and disrespect it. Imagine if LU had a player do that would any of the LU fans mock him for that accomplishment? It was also stated that it doesn’t translate into coaching and I get that.
And to be honest I’d struggle to tell you who WON the Heisman the last 3 years but that doesn’t make it less of an accomplishment
By willflop
If anyone is interested, here's how we've ranked since 2008 in total offense, defense, and then tackles for loss. The only positive is the complete 180 in offense this year.

If we want to look at a combined rank, for total offense and defense, with a regression trend line, this is what we get:

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:

Ultimately, his athletic accomplishments have no bearing on if he is a good coach or not. With the largest budget in FCS, with P5 style facilities, with one of the most present t fan bases in FCS, Turner Gill has decidedly steered this ship into mediocrity with such precision that we are a dog to the most anemic CSU team I have seen
Exactly.

Gill 4 life
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Not surprised you entirely missed the point
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:Not surprised you entirely missed the point
Then what is the point? Clearly what I get from this all these messages is that some folks are bringing up his athletic career like it is suppose to be meaningful towards his coaching career. Then I saw Flames haw mocking those who are attempting this notion, which doesn’t mean he is implying that Gill didn’t accomplished something that most football athletes do not. I see Flameshaw proving that Gill was not so successful as a coach overall (even with the little success at UB). I will also add that no one had said Gill isn’t a great person who didn’t represent the university well. I agree with Flaneshaw; Gill’s past doesn’t explain his mediocrity for the past few years at LU. I’m sure we can find someone who can represent the school well or attests build a program(as we transition to FBS) while Gill can get a position as a spokesperson for the football program.

PH, we get that Gill was a impressive quarterback at Nebraska (from some videos I saw of him). That’s not going to help him out for his job when he has been mediocre like previous jobs. It’s okay to not agree with his statements, but to say that he doesn’t get it (just because you don’t like it) doesn’t make it true. You like Gill, that’s fine. If he is asked to step down, which he should do at this point, it’ll be alright as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Then what is the point? Clearly what I get from this all these messages is that some folks are bringing up his athletic career like it is suppose to be meaningful towards his coaching career. Then I saw Flames haw mocking those who are attempting this notion, which doesn’t mean he is implying that Gill didn’t accomplished something that most football athletes do not. I see Flameshaw proving that Gill was not so successful as a coach overall (even with the little success at UB). I will also add that no one had said Gill isn’t a great person who didn’t represent the university well. I agree with Flaneshaw; Gill’s past doesn’t explain his mediocrity for the past few years at LU. I’m sure we can find someone who can represent the school well or attests build a program(as we transition to FBS) while Gill can get a position as a spokesperson for the football program.

PH, we get that Gill was a impressive quarterback at Nebraska (from some videos I saw of him). That’s not going to help him out for his job when he has been mediocre like previous jobs. It’s okay to not agree with his statements, but to say that he doesn’t get it (just because you don’t like it) doesn’t make it true. You like Gill, that’s fine. If he is asked to step down, which he should do at this point, it’ll be alright as well.
The point was why are people mocking or belittling his playing career? That’s been going on constantly by a few people on this board. If you actually read my previous posts on the topic over the last few days you would see I even stated no equivalencey could be drawn between his playing and coaching careers. I just think it’s unnecessary, rude and uncalled for to continue to mock something few people have done and no one at LU has remotely even come close.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I am curious, how do yall define mediocre when it comes to a football coach? Also, is there a difference between a mediocre coach and just an average coach?
Like Hooters? Delightfully Average yet unfrefined :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Very nice Purple, haha.
TY

I will say this. People sure Missed Al Groh up in Charlottesville the last couple of years. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

The point was why are people mocking or belittling his playing career? That’s been going on constantly by a few people on this board. If you actually read my previous posts on the topic over the last few days you would see I even stated no equivalencey could be drawn between his playing and coaching careers. I just think it’s unnecessary, rude and uncalled for to continue to mock something few people have done and no one at LU has remotely even come close.
My good friend Purple, you started this when I said Gill had not been successful as a coach in his entire career. Everyone but you, knew we were talking about a HC, but you had to make it into a pissing contest and say he was successful as an assistant coach, player, Heisman Trophy 4th place winner etc.
It remains factual that Gill has not been a successful as a coach anywhere, (and just for you, I will stipulate HC), including his stay at LU. Hopefully you now have come around to realize that, long after 99% of the rest of us have. It's ok to be a little slow. :shock: You have an excuse, you went to WVU.

Gill 4 Life.
Last edited by flameshaw on November 18th, 2017, 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
On the radio post-game interview Gill choked up, couldn't talk for a few seconds, and then said this loss was his fault. Gave God the glory for being the coach at LU. It seemed to me that he has already accepted a change is inevitable. It can't be said too often class guy.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:His postgame quote seems to indicate he’s expecting the call.
Can you summarize? I didn't hear it. I know one mind was made up a couple of weeks ago.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote:On the radio post-game interview Gill choked up, couldn't talk for a few seconds, and then said this loss was his fault. Gave God the glory for being the coach at LU. It seemed to me that he has already accepted a change is inevitable. It can't be said too often class guy.
Very true. I do feel very, very sorry for the guy. Hope he finds a good place to land.

Gill 4 life.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Turner Gill has some short comings but he has always been a class act. I've always wanted him to succeed and there is a part of me that wants him to stay around to see if he can somehow get it done at the next level.

But I know he isn't going to be the guy to get us to where we want to go. But I wish he could be.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Turner Gill has some short comings but he has always been a class act. I've always wanted him to succeed and there is a part of me that wants him to stay around to see if he can somehow get it done at the next level.

But I know he isn't going to be the guy to get us to where we want to go. But I wish he could be.
+1
By rtb72
Great man, indeed. We just need a different direction. If he goes, I wish him the very best. He deserves it!
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he knew going into this game, it would be his last at LU. Don't know that for sure, but I know some things were clear a little while back. We will see.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]