Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By R i
Registration Days Posts
The reasons I like LU's chances better than Coastal's in a successful transition.

1) Money - Coastal had a very nasty fight with S.C. to raise money for expansion, LU has not had that problem. Paying coaches, and marketing along with schedule building, money can be a very stabilizing force. LU will not run out of money prior to transition period being complete.

2) Fan Base - LU attendance (season tickets, away game attendance, home game attendance and engagement in boosters clubs, along with TV ratings are far superior to those of Coastal during transition phase. LU's brand nationally is much stronger as well, and I see this as no contest compared to Coastal.

3) Athletic Director - Ian has gotten us off to a hot start in the transition, and if he is here for another 2 years he will lay a foundation anyone should succeed on.

4)Power of Prayer - I am only half joking about this one, I believe God has accomplished a great work through LU and will continue to do so as long as LU remains committed to His purposes. So I know its super cheesy, and probably not a bullet point that would be listed on most msg boards as support for your view point, I believe it necessary when talking about LU. Lets not get side tracked on this point. It was simply an add on.
By Jonathan Carone
I think those are all legitimate pieces of a foundation on why we can successfully handle FBS football. None of them, however, have anything to give us hope that we'd be better than their 2-10 season on the field other than our schedule may be slightly easier. That's where I struggle with all this. We can have all the money in the world - and we have since Doc died - with the best facilities around and still not be successful on the field. I want wins more than pretty buildings and chartered flights.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
We all want wins on the field. 3 wins next year , 5 wins in 2019 and 6 wins in 2020 would be a successful transition.

I believe we can do that. The commitment of the administration to having a winning football team also gives me a ton of confidence that it will happen one way or the other.
By Jonathan Carone
Here’s my frustration:

I transferred to Liberty January 2006. It was a month after Rocco got here, right before the FOC opened. So since my first football game as a student until now, we’ve had the best facilities and more money than every team on our schedule. We’ve won one outright league title and made it to the playoffs once in those 11 seasons. At what point does having the best facilities and most money actually translate into winning?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
That is the frustration we all have. I think AD has a ton to do with it. Jeff was perfect for putting lipstick on the pig. He grew our fan base and elevated the status of the program to huge new heights. Everyone believed LU was on the verge of a National Championship, and we supported the team like it. Who knows what kind of impact Jeff had on administration buying in so heavily. The flip side of that is, we were and are still a pig. We have not won anything. So what Jeff did was super important, but it is time we take the next step and win.

#InIanWeTrust

Also, the few interactions I have had with Ian, and from just looking at what makes sense career wise. I do not see him bolting for a P5 job in the next 5 years. I think he has the resources and just enough FBS and national exposure to really do something here that not only rebuilds his reputation, but also builds his resume for the elite P5 job. I do not think he is at LU for the rest of his career, but I see it as more than a personal reclamation project for him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m going to disagree with your thoughts on the LU fan base. They are used to the Bright and Shiny things. They want the sizzle and spectacular. They either don’t have the patience or understanding for the effort involved in being a consistent quality program.
The shine will wear off the new FBS penny and as the losses mount the fans will disappear. Until the Next Big Thing
By R i
Registration Days Posts
TV ratings, Away game attendance , and home game attendance show that we have a committed fan base. I agree we are young and a pretty wavering bunch with some things.

However when compared to Coastal's fan base ( the reason for the comments) we have a strong supportive group.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I’m going to disagree with your thoughts on the LU fan base. They are used to the Bright and Shiny things. They want the sizzle and spectacular. They either don’t have the patience or understanding for the effort involved in being a consistent quality program.
The shine will wear off the new FBS penny and as the losses mount the fans will disappear. Until the Next Big Thing
Another point is , that is what LU fan base was being sold for the last 10 years. Ian feels like he is selling something much different, and that excites me.
By Ewglenn
First off Coastal was 3-9. They were competitive in most of their games minus the WIU game. They also lost their head coach for the entire year to health issues. I know someone will say "but Chadwell is there", true but he runs a completely different offense. So it was a learning experience for him. They actually did pretty well this year and I would be happy with their outcome next year as long as a blowout is to a FBS team and not a FCS team. CUSA is not on the same level as the AAC. They are pretty much the SBC 2.0. Recruiting is going as well as it could for a transition team. Will these guys be future studs? Who knows, but they at least have the potential. The schedule is obviously not going to be in LU's favor because we are building one out of nowhere. Later schedules will look balanced but right now we will take what we can get.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I’m going to disagree with your thoughts on the LU fan base. They are used to the Bright and Shiny things. They want the sizzle and spectacular. They either don’t have the patience or understanding for the effort involved in being a consistent quality program.
Another point is , that is what LU fan base was being sold for the last 10 years. Ian feels like he is selling something much different, and that excites me.
But will they buy what he is selling?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
This is why scheduling was so important. Ian built instant credibility with administration. He will get the room he needs to operate in my opinion. Getting ODU, VT, and UVA all to come to Lynchburg will surely go along with with admin.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:This is why scheduling was so important. Ian built instant credibility with administration. He will get the room he needs to operate in my opinion. Getting ODU, VT, and UVA all to come to Lynchburg will surely go along with with admin.
By ‘They’ I meant LU fans
By R i
Registration Days Posts
OOOOHHHH I SEE.

Sorry, I surely have. Most that have followed sports for a while likely will. I would say to answer your question, Yes.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Here’s my frustration:

I transferred to Liberty January 2006. It was a month after Rocco got here, right before the FOC opened. So since my first football game as a student until now, we’ve had the best facilities and more money than every team on our schedule. We’ve won one outright league title and made it to the playoffs once in those 11 seasons. At what point does having the best facilities and most money actually translate into winning?
When we get a coach as good as our facilities. It won't be much longer.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
One thing I think is being misunderstood. I don't believe Gill was kept on because of his proven ability to recruit. (We all know, he has not done a very good job of that at all, in his 6 years). It was taken into strong consideration, that because of the early signing period, it would be better to keep Gill and the recruits he has committed, than to let him go and probably lose most of the recruits he has. A Yuuuuuuuge difference. It would not give the new coach time to come in and save the recruiting class. My guess is that if the signing date was still in Feb, things might have been different.
Finally, the money situation did play an important part, because of the contracts given to them by JB. It has nothing to do with the fact that we couldn't find a high-quality replacement. The combination of money and the recruitment signing date being so soon are the reasons for the current situation.
FWIW, I think Ian will be here for the rest of his career, if all things stay the same as they are today. He isn't real young anymore and seems to have a fair amount of autonomy. He is very well liked by those who know him well. But who knows.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
James Madison signs head coach Mike Houston to 10-year extension

This won’t stop bigger programs from sniffing around its head coach, but James Madison is doing its best to show its commitment to the man.

The FCS powerhouse announced Tuesday that it has reached an agreement on a 10-year contract extension with Mike Houston. The new deal would technically keep Houston with the Dukes through the 2027 season.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -extension
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:James Madison signs head coach Mike Houston to 10-year extension

This won’t stop bigger programs from sniffing around its head coach, but James Madison is doing its best to show its commitment to the man.

The FCS powerhouse announced Tuesday that it has reached an agreement on a 10-year contract extension with Mike Houston. The new deal would technically keep Houston with the Dukes through the 2027 season.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -extension
I sure hope there is fine print they don't have to pay him if another school is paying him. 10 years is a LONG time in football. JMU might not even be FBS by then. :D
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Why would anyone want to stay at JMU for 10 years ?
Well, it's not Gretna, but Harrisonburg itself is not a bad place to live.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m sure it was t awkward at all having Hugh Freeze on campus.....
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:I’m sure it was t awkward at all having Hugh Freeze on campus.....

I had a thought; not saying it will happen or that I would want it to happen. What if Hugh Freeze would be the next HC and Michael Vick becoming the next QB coach. Sounds bizarre but it seems like LU wouldn't doubt the idea. Yes, there will be a backlash but it's common. How would that resonate with prospects, the students (I technically do not want to know) and alums?
Last edited by cruzan_flame13 on January 25th, 2018, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If Hugh Freeze became LU coach, it would not be as bad as some may think. As for Vick being QB coach, I doubt that will happen.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]