Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't remember much about hall meeting when i was a student but I will always remember the time Ed Gomes came to talk to us. He just has a way about him.

One of the few people in the liberty bubble that i haven't ever heard anybody say anything bad about them
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Gomes is my neighbor. Class act all the way! And very friendly.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Gomes is my neighbor. Class act all the way! And very friendly.
Love me some Fast Eddy. Great life story. Should always be on staff. Tremendous role model and mentor for the athletes
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Anyone who does not understand why a team should always keep at least one member of "former staff" when making a change in HC, simply doesn't understand all the facets of running a football program.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
There are some advantages, most of the time, to keeping a staff member to bridge a transition. But sometimes a completely new house is good. Ballcoach, I think your fellow posters are taking issue with your word "always". As am I.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Gomes is my neighbor. Class act all the way! And very friendly.
Love me some Fast Eddy. Great life story. Should always be on staff. Tremendous role model and mentor for the athletes
He was a legend already when I arrived on campus in 1982. He needs to leave on his own terms when he is ready, nothing else.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
BigRed1 wrote:I think the best thing we could do is purge this team of Gill and anyone on his staff. Gill and his choices in staff have had 6 seasons to show some progress. It’s time to move on.
I think you keep Ed Gomes though
I think keeping Ed should be a requirement for anyone they might hire. It's a position you really don't have at other D1 programs and you'll never find anyone better. My initial thought would be Gillespie as well. His reputation in the S&C community is stellar, and he is an alum, but maybe it's time for a change there. Rutigliano is someone who also has been through 2 or 3 coaching changes, possibly because, based on his title, I think he is actually an assistant AD and the football coach may not be able to fire him.
Last edited by olldflame on October 19th, 2017, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Ed Gomes should never leave LU, until he retires, which I hope is many years away.
Even then I think he should be reanimated or something
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:There are some advantages, most of the time, to keeping a staff member to bridge a transition. But sometimes a completely new house is good. Ballcoach, I think your fellow posters are taking issue with your word "always". As am I.
This is where football is it's own Beast. When you have 19 coaches on staff, it's pretty easy to find one to keep on as a 'bridge'. When you only have a staff of 4-5 not so much
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Anyone who does not understand why a team should always keep at least one member of "former staff" when making a change in HC, simply doesn't understand all the facets of running a football program.
That’s laughable. I’ve coached football for a number of years. But please continue to tell me that you should always keep someone from the prior staff...when Saban took over for Bama in 07, guess how many holdovers he kept. I’ll give you a hint. Zero. Is Saban someone who “doesn’t understand all facets of running a football program” :roll:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I believe we only have 9 Assistant Coaches. Granted that are other personnel on staff, but they are not real assistants. I believe NCAA only allows 9 assistant coaches.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Nick Saban is in a class all alone. Please do not compare him to any other coach.
Presented with the best coach in the game who contradicts your statement that “only people who know all facets of the game keep prior assistants” and you say not to use him as an example. Classic.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am terribly sorry we don't agree on this issue, but neither you or I are ADs, thus we not have to make decision.
Well you’re showing your ignorance again because most head coaches decide their staff not ADs.
By Class of 20Something
Liberty22 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I am terribly sorry we don't agree on this issue, but neither you or I are ADs, thus we not have to make decision.
Well you’re showing your ignorance again because most head coaches decide their staff not ADs.
You spelled arrogance wrong.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Come on guys, he made a hyperbolic statement. Let it go. Sheesh.

Let me ask this: why should or should not a head coach hold 1 or more assistants over in a transition?

Ballcoach or anyone, explain yourself.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Liberty22 wrote:
You spelled arrogance wrong.
I didn’t realize that when someone calls you out and you respond that makes you arrogant. :roll:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
With the schedule and the transition process, isn't next season supposed to be the year LU gets crushed? Why not let TG go one more season, take the beating, keep the recruits, and if the team does indeed get crushed then let him go?

What does next year's team have to play for anyway?
By willflop
Assuming a new coach's first year will be the hardest, why get crushed in 18 with Gill to have another rough year in 19 with the new guy. Kill two birds with one stone. Allow the guy to start recruiting and get organized in 18, in hopes that we embarrass ourselves less in 19.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:With the schedule and the transition process, isn't next season supposed to be the year LU gets crushed? Why not let TG go one more season, take the beating, keep the recruits, and if the team does indeed get crushed then let him go?

What does next year's team have to play for anyway?
Yeah. Let's just keep the status quo as we move on to stronger competition as gill continues go instill bad habits. Great idea.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
No. A good coach would accept the challenge and look at our schedule down the road and see a great opportunity. Someone who would avoid the job because of a tough first season I wouldn't want anyway. They probably would take a job only for what's in it for them and be using us as a stepping stone for bigger and better things. I want a lifer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]