Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ElmersTwin
thepostman wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Next coach will. Be a big name coach, with P5 HC experience.
You can keep saying this over and over again but it doesn't make it true.
Well, we did land Gill after all. :roll:
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:The idea of hiring a Transition coach vs a guy that can build a successful program is intriguing.

I am hoping we can find the guy that can do both, but the more it is discussed I am seeing that my not be possible.
I think, given where we're at currently, the only way we can look at this next hire is as a 5-year coach. Ideally someone would build us into the next great thing and stay forever but the likelihood of that happening are as low as me eating a salad.

One of three things will happen:

1) We hire an up and comer who has success and is gone to a higher job in five years.

2) We hire an up and comer who doesn't win and is fired in five years.

3) We hire a proven program builder who has the experience needed and likely retires in five years regardless of our success or failure.

I'd like to think we can find #1. Whether that's a Brandon Streeter type or someone like Curt Cignetti, I'm willing to take that chance.

I'd also be okay with a recently retired coach who would want to come back and build something for the stability. A name that comes up who fits that description (with connection to Ian) is Jim Grobe. I'm not a fan of the Tommy Bowden type who hasn't coached in a decade though. It's less about age as it is about not having a connection to the current athlete. If you ask anyone who has been in coaching for more than ten years, they'll tell you the makeup and personality of today's athletes is vastly different than it was pre-2010.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jim Tressel is the transition type of coach at the top of my list right now. Someone posted yesterday that he is making 300,000 as university president. He would be a great name, and a great fit at LU. Does he want to get back into coaching ? Is money a factor ? I am leaning towards no on both of those, but I have very little info.
By Ewglenn
What if we brought in Steve Spurrier as an advisor. Make up a position for him just so we can tie his name to recruiting?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:Jim Tressel is so boring. Bah!
Wins, Recruits, Christian World View, Available.

Not Boring.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
R i wrote:Good to have you back.
Thanks. I'll disappear again once the drug gets too strong. I've got the addiction under control for now.
Embrace it !!!
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Hope you're right. I wouldn't be surprised, as long as Jr's ego doesn't get in the way. The word is out there in the sports world you know. :roll:
Dude. I've worked in college athletics for a decade. I work at a P5 now. I tell people I went to liberty and they have 1 of two responses.
1. "oh thats the place that hired the baylor AD. and has the president who endorsed Trump. lol How do you feel about all that?" With a cringe look of concern on their face.
2. "Where is that?"

most people with the second response are from the west coast. Its not a big secret that our president doesn't give a (word Redacted) about how people perceive the athletics department. It used to be we didn't care about being openly Christian and I am completely fine with that. I've defended it on multiple occasions. But when the President of the university hires a guy who was a part (however small it really was) of the Baylor Scandal AND so outspoken about our (word Redacted) president, you are going to turn some people off to the university. I know you think Liberty can do no wrong but there has been a crap ton of things this university admin has done in just the past year to make us not very attractive to A LOT of coaches. but hey keep drinking that Kool-aide and sticking your head in the sand I'm sure it will all work out just fine.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Kinda like saying TG has been a successful coach. :)

Gill 4 life.
Last edited by flameshaw on October 24th, 2017, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
But he got it from a reliable source at the House of the LORD
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Hope you're right. I wouldn't be surprised, as long as Jr's ego doesn't get in the way. The word is out there in the sports world you know. :roll:
Dude. I've worked in college athletics for a decade. I work at a P5 now. I tell people I went to liberty and they have 1 of two responses.
1. "oh thats the place that hired the baylor AD. and has the president who endorsed Trump. lol How do you feel about all that?" With a cringe look of concern on their face.
2. "Where is that?"

most people with the second response are from the west coast. Its not a big secret that our president doesn't give a (word Redacted) about how people perceive the athletics department. It used to be we didn't care about being openly Christian and I am completely fine with that. I've defended it on multiple occasions. But when the President of the university hires a guy who was a part (however small it really was) of the Baylor Scandal AND so outspoken about our (word Redacted) president, you are going to turn some people off to the university. I know you think Liberty can do no wrong but there has been a crap ton of things this university admin has done in just the past year to make us not very attractive to A LOT of coaches. but hey keep drinking that Kool-aide and sticking your head in the sand I'm sure it will all work out just fine.
Coming to LU at this point is going to be a risk for anyone. Why would someone like Streeter want to take an unnecessary risk? Someone looking to make a name or reclaim their fame will be the most likely candidates
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
2. "Where is that?"

Whatever you say.
I kinda like it when people assume things ie. kool-aide drinker and have zero idea what they are talking about. You my friend, know nothing about me. I have been critical of several things that the university has done and have the emails to prove it. FWIW. There are several things I would have done different if given the chance, but I am not the one making the decisions.
People have been predicting the death/irrelevance of LU for 45+ years now, because of things the administration has said/done. How is that working out?

Gill 4 life.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
I kinda like it when people assume things ie. kool-aide drinker and have zero idea what they are talking about.
From one kool-aide drinker to another. Cheers.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Whatever you say.
I kinda like it when people assume things ie. kool-aide drinker and have zero idea what they are talking about. You my friend, know nothing about me. I have been critical of several things that the university has done and have the emails to prove it. FWIW. There are several things I would have done different if given the chance, but I am not the one making the decisions.
People have been predicting the death/irrelevance of LU for 45+ years now, because of things the administration has said/done. How is that working out?

Gill 4 life.
Dude I get it. you are a proud alum of the athletics department. you were a two sport athlete in a time where the university struggled. you relate with Jr. and you've seen a whole lot more growth at the school than I did. I know enough about you to know that you have a different view of things than us young'ns.
1. I didn't predict the downfall of the university. you won't ever hear me say that. I WILL however argue that the university of your college days is a whole lot closer to Baylor, tcu and other "Christian in name only" universities now than it was when you were in school.
2. I find it amusing that you would attempt to call me out for telling you that you don't know what you are talking about(which i didn't say or infer by the way)and yet you would then cast my experiences and opinions aside as if I didn't know what I was talking about. Double standard no?
3. I was specifically speaking on our football program and the issues we will have getting a quality coach to come here. not the university as a whole.

But hey what do I know. Oh by the way, Tell your son in Law I said hey. He and I were in LUnatics together back in the day. Good dude.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Even though we have played terrible the past 4 games, the win over Baylor still holds some volume. Baylor is a Big 12 school, who has given Oklhoma and West Virginia (ranked teams) trouble this season even though Baylor lost.
Now granted, it's hard to figure out how anyone can beat Baylor and then lose to St. Francis, Mommouth and Kennesaw State. I forget how many years IM spent at Baylor, but he was there long enough to make a lot of connections(formal or informal) with a lot of P5 people. These connections will land LU a coach, (someday)
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Even though we have played terrible the past 4 games, the win over Baylor still holds some volume. Baylor is a Big 12 school, who has given Oklhoma and West Virginia (ranked teams) trouble this season even though Baylor lost.
Now granted, it's hard to figure out how anyone can beat Baylor and then lose to St. Francis, Mommouth and Kennesaw State. I forget how many years IM spent at Baylor, but he was there long enough to make a lot of connections(formal or informal) with a lot of P5 people. These connections will land LU a coach, (someday)
Someday? You just said last night, and weeks ago that our NEXT coach would be P5. Which is it?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Whatever you say.

Gill 4 life.
Dude I get it. you are a proud alum of the athletics department. you were a two sport athlete in a time where the university struggled. you relate with Jr. and you've seen a whole lot more growth at the school than I did. I know enough about you to know that you have a different view of things than us young'ns.
1. I didn't predict the downfall of the university. you won't ever hear me say that. I WILL however argue that the university of your college days is a whole lot closer to Baylor, tcu and other "Christian in name only" universities now than it was when you were in school.
2. I find it amusing that you would attempt to call me out for telling you that you don't know what you are talking about(which i didn't say or infer by the way)and yet you would then cast my experiences and opinions aside as if I didn't know what I was talking about. Double standard no?
3. I was specifically speaking on our football program and the issues we will have getting a quality coach to come here. not the university as a whole.

But hey what do I know. Oh by the way, Tell your son in Law I said hey. He and I were in LUnatics together back in the day. Good dude.
We actually agree on quite a few things, that are highlighted. I am not saying that you do ( 8) ), but there are a lot of butt hurt people on here who let their hate of Jr. and Trump cloud their thinking about how others view us as a university. When the time comes, hopefully very soon, there will be dozens and dozens of good, qualified coaches who will throw their names in the hat for the HC job. Hopefully IM will make the correct coach for LU.

Gill 4 life.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:Coming to LU at this point is going to be a risk for anyone. Why would someone like Streeter want to take an unnecessary risk? Someone looking to make a name or reclaim their fame will be the most likely candidates
This is where I'm at. It's likely not going to be a young up and comer. We're not going to poach a young coordinator or young head coach. There's too much risk involved for their future career.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Coming to LU at this point is going to be a risk for anyone. Why would someone like Streeter want to take an unnecessary risk? Someone looking to make a name or reclaim their fame will be the most likely candidates
This is where I'm at. It's likely not going to be a young up and comer. We're not going to poach a young coordinator or young head coach. There's too much risk involved for their future career.
Briles
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Briles
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:
But he got it from a reliable source at the House of the LORD
Good point. Nobody has ever told a lie at church........
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
So, I have contemplated the whole Art Briles to LU ordeal. With that said, I don't see McCaw even thinking about hiring Briles. There seems to be information out there that leads us to believe Briles and McCaw left on bad terms and with how deeply involved Briles was in the Baylor scandal that doesn't surprise me. McCaw was not even closely involved with that situation and the result of that evidence showed itself in him being dropped from further court cases or questioning. All that to say, McCaw would be foolish to even ponder the thought of hiring Briles.

As much as I want to give Streeter a shot, I am beginning to agree with what a lot of y'all are saying in regards to an older more experienced coach who could deal with the baggage of LU and wouldn't see themselves coaching for more than 5 to 6 more years.

With that said, how old is Coach Eric Taylor now? He has been at the D3 school in Pennsylvania for some time now. He obviously hasn't been fired and we know he can handle a lot of crap! Maybe he can pull ole Tim Riggins to be our. . . well just having Tim Riggins would make the team interesting for sure.

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]