Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
Here’s a crazy stat:

In six seasons at Liberty, Turner Gill has never had less than three losses through the first six games. We have never gone into the seventh game of the season with a winning record under this staff. This is our fifth straight year starting the season 3-3.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm tired or Turner Gill and this continuously underachieving program.

I hope basketball gets my mind off or this and turns the corner this year.
By PAFlame
TG said in the presser that “We’re maybe not quite making as good of adjustments as we need to be making." This really leads me to believe whether any adjustments at all are being made, and this isn't really something you want to hear out of a head coach's mouth. Either way, it's sickening.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
PAFlame wrote:TG said in the presser that “We’re maybe not quite making as good of adjustments as we need to be making." This really leads me to believe whether any adjustments at all are being made, and this isn't really something you want to hear out of a head coach's mouth. Either way, it's sickening.
Well he doesn't have much of a choice. It is either saying that, or stating the truth. We are performing way below our ability, losing to teams that have no business on the field with us and not being prepared. Everyone in Williams Stadium knew KSU was going to run the ball 90% of the time from the triple option and we failed to prepare and execute effectively. We just lost to St. Freaking Francis of all people and I gave the team 4 days off as a reward.
In retrospect, we may look back on the Baylor win as the worst thing that could have happened to us to begin this year. Evidently, the team and to a larger extent, the coaching staff, have decided to be content with that on their resume for their accomplishment of the year.
Really this team is an embarrassment to the university right now. It hasn't helped the "brand" at all. We all thought we had turned the corner with what looked like a BIG WIN in Waco. Since then it has been downhill. Five years of mediocre (trying to be nice), effort and results is enough. Time to move on. We can do MUCH better, with less effort/success than exhibited by our coaching staff.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I read comment in today's News & Advance, about not Coordinators not being able to make adjustments "due to speed of the game". I always thought coaches made adjustments between possessions. When defense is on field, offense can make adjustments on sideline, and vice versa. If a team waits until halftime, it may be too late. Another interesting part of the article was our opponents are 14 for 15 on trips into red zone, scoring, and all 14 are touchdowns. Only stop we have is the blocked FG.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Not sure what adjustments one would have to make during the KSU game. Everyone knew what they were going to do, weeks before the game started. Depending on the defense being played, there are assignments for the dive man, the qb and the pitch man. Pretty easy really. But we have never prepared well for the option under Gill.
As for adjustments that needed to be made in other games, obviously we either didn't know what to do, or we didn't execute. So far, it is pretty obvious, it was both.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
KSU ran that offence as well as anyone I've seen do it. Coaching can be a darn of you do darn if you don't. As far as our offensive game plan maybe they decided to run and use clock to give our defence time to rest. The option takes its toll on a defence.

Coaching pays BIG and 5-7 years is the norm. Gill's a classy guy. Needs to be treated fairly no matter what IM decides.
Last edited by TH Spangler on October 18th, 2017, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I recall an article in USA Today about 20 years ago. It said coaching football was best paid job in America. But it had the least job security. That is true. There have been many coaches fired , who actually had good W-L records, but not good enough.

I recall a high school coach getting fired once for going 9-1.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
With our schedule this year and the advantages that TG has ie. facilities, extra scholarships and full cost of scholarship money, anything less that a 9-2 record should result in a change. Losing to St. Francis, in and of itself, he should have been fired before he left the field. However, I understand that waiting until the Sunday after the final game would be more appropriate/tasteful. We have no possibility of post season play and making a change mid-season accomplishes less than what we have achieved on the field this year.
By Class of 20Something
flameshaw wrote:With our schedule this year and the advantages that TG has ie. facilities, extra scholarships and full cost of scholarship money, anything less that a 9-2 record should result in a change. Losing to St. Francis, in and of itself, he should have been fired before he left the field. However, I understand that waiting until the Sunday after the final game would be more appropriate/tasteful. We have no possibility of post season play and making a change mid-season accomplishes less than what we have achieved on the field this year.
I think the issue a lot of us have is that we feel like we're going to be behind the curve on getting a new coach. If we let Coach Gill go now we can start having those conversations with people that are going to be on the P5 radar and try to get someone locked in before they get swooped up by a big name.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:We hired McCaw before firing Barber. What makes you think we aren’t already talking to potential coaches?
That's fair.

What's our current realistic Wish List?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
flameshaw wrote:With our schedule this year and the advantages that TG has ie. facilities, extra scholarships and full cost of scholarship money, anything less that a 9-2 record should result in a change. Losing to St. Francis, in and of itself, he should have been fired before he left the field. However, I understand that waiting until the Sunday after the final game would be more appropriate/tasteful. We have no possibility of post season play and making a change mid-season accomplishes less than what we have achieved on the field this year.
I think the issue a lot of us have is that we feel like we're going to be behind the curve on getting a new coach. If we let Coach Gill go now we can start having those conversations with people that are going to be on the P5 radar and try to get someone locked in before they get swooped up by a big name.
If IM has been doing his job, he has already been working on possible replacements for all of his major reports. That is a must for senior management people. One never knows when one of your key people may get hit by a bus, or hopefully get hired away for a better opportunity.
For some reason, I expect IM is doing a much better job of this than his predecessor.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:We hired McCaw before firing Barber. What makes you think we aren’t already talking to potential coaches?
No they didn't. They were surprised by Barbers resigning. Then equally surprised that IM was available and interested. Thus they launched an in depth investigation to clear IM and hired him all in 2 weeks. Don't you read man? Study :twisted: :D
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I believe most ADs have a "Short List" for potential coaches for most, if not all sports.

If we get a new coach, he will have P5 HC experience..............I believe. (Big 12, ACC or SEC)

This would be a very important hire, and IM will make sure he gets it right.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I believe most ADs have a "Short List" for potential coaches for most, if not all sports.

If we get a new coach, he will have P5 HC experience..............I believe. (Big 12, ACC or SEC)

This would be a very important hire, and IM will make sure he gets it right.
You'd be devestated if it was someone from the PAC or Big 12 wouldn't you :D
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
PAC 10, 12 or whatever they are this week.

But not Big 12. One has to remember that IM came from Big 12 to LU, thus his knowledge of that conference/coaches is probably above that of other conferences.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
So, let me throw out my dream scenario:

HC for 2018 - Tommy Bowden, his coaching record speaks for itself. He is 63, more on that in a minute.

OC/Assistant HC - Brandon Streeter (Since Tommy is 63, let it be known that Streeter would be head coach in waiting.)

QB Coach - Turner Gill

DC - Vantz Singletary

I think this would work well for our transition phase and plus having this 1-2-3 punch in recruiting between Bowden, Streeter and Gill would benefit us greatly.

Gill as QB coach seems to fit him well and I let my bias towards Gill slide in this dream scenario too, oh well.
By BigRed1
I think the best thing we could do is purge this team of Gill and anyone on his staff. Gill and his choices in staff have had 6 seasons to show some progress. It’s time to move on.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BigRed1 wrote:I think the best thing we could do is purge this team of Gill and anyone on his staff. Gill and his choices in staff have had 6 seasons to show some progress. It’s time to move on.
I think you keep Ed Gomes though
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
BigRed1 wrote:I think the best thing we could do is purge this team of Gill and anyone on his staff. Gill and his choices in staff have had 6 seasons to show some progress. It’s time to move on.
I think you keep Ed Gomes though
Ed is such a good dude. It's a bit of an understatement, but he really just is so relatable. Anyone that has talked to him knows what I mean.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

If ACC is left with 3 or 4 or completely disma[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

OK, so the latest from ASOR says that Smith is com[…]

NFL’s trading rules, salary cap, and prof[…]

Virginia Tech

The football team and basketball teams would l[…]