Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Considering the track record of this forum, I'm surprised nobody has started this discussion yet, but somebody has to do it, so here we go

It seems almost inevitable at this point that the Turner Gill era is about to end
Let's talk about who can lead our football program to reach the goal of dominating our conference, becoming a national power at the FCS level, and ultimately achieving Doc's BHAG of playing in the FBS

The man JR hires will arrive to find:

PROS

Facilities unmatched at the FBS level
A budget on a par with anyone in FBS and light years above our BSC competitors (even with expected cutbacks)
FCOH for all scholarship athletes
A fan base which, although somewhat disillusioned right now, is still as good as almost any at our level
A roster with loads of speed and talent, including a QB with enormous potential

CONS

An Athletic Dept going through transition to new leadership
Recruiting challenges due to the school's mission

He needs to be a man of faith who knows the game, can hire and lead a great staff of assistants and can, along with that staff, motivate and develop the returning players as well as those he recruits

I'll get it started with Jamey Chadwell
Yeah, I went there

While he is not as outspoken about it as Gill, I believe he meets the first criteria, but that is certainly something which should be addressed in the hiring process The job he has done at CSU with pitiful facilities and resources is nothing short of amazing He is smart, charismatic and creative

The fact that he has done much with little does not necessarily translate to doing even more with a lot, but I like those odds better than someone doing little with much

Rumor has it that Chadwell was overlooked for a couple of G5 jobs last year due to reservations about possible academic issues with the CSU program That would need to be looked into as well
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Can we not discuss this until/ unless there is an actual, you know, vacancy
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:Chadwell will not coach at Liberty.
I don't know if he would or not, and I doubt you do either He would seem destined for a FBS job, but for some reason noone has pulled the trigger on that

Give us another name then
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Can we not discuss this until/ unless there is an actual, you know, vacancy
We were talking about replacements for Layer like 2 years before he was finally fired It's a fan board man I know you're a potentate and all that, but :roll:
By Dr. Sheh
Registration Days Posts
#BringBackDanny...but that's not going to happen. On a more realistic note I really hope we go and get someone who is the most qualified, not just the biggest name that will come here.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
I don't know if he would or not, and I doubt you do either He would seem destined for a FBS job, but for some reason noone has pulled the trigger on that

Chadwell will not be our next head coach. It's not even close to an opportunity or possibility.

Bobby Bowden, Tim Tebow, Rashad Jennings, or Tony Dungy. There you go, there are some names.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
olldflame wrote:

Chadwell will not be our next head coach. It's not even close to an opportunity or possibility.

Bobby Bowden, Tim Tebow, Rashad Jennings, or Tony Dungy. There you go, there are some names.
Jerry Glanville
Rich Kotite
June Jones
Ty Willingham
Bill Callahan
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Even he weren't in our conference, Chadwell wouldn't be a fit.
If he's not a fit, he's not a fit If he were, being in the same conference would be no reason not to make a move which would involve a huge pay increase among other advantages
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Him being in the same conference is the reason we'd never consider him. That's a horrible look.
Poor organizations try to win the press conference. Great organizations try to win on the field.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Him being in the same conference is the reason we'd never consider him. That's a horrible look.
OK, I get it Like coming out for Trump early 8)

JB might have cared about how it looked I'm pretty sure JR wouldn't, but if he's not a fit anyway it's irrelevant
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Most of y'all on this board know how I feel about Gill and I would like to see him get at the least 1 more year and no more than 2. I know for some of you that would be the worst thing ever and I hear you. But remember there are only 5 other FCS teams beside us that have had a winning record the last 10 years in a row, pretty impressive and consistent for any athletic program.

Aside from the former thought, I have a few propositions for head coaches. . .

Brandon Streeter, OC/QB coach at Clemson and a former LU assistant coach and qb coach.

Terry or Tommy Bowden, both early sixties but could possibly groom someone to take over too.

Mike Minter from Campbell

or what about Josh Heupel OC from Missouri
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Here's my wishlist:

Gary Dunn Current team: California (PA)

Gary is in his first year with the Vulcans and is already turning heads. California (PA) is currently 10-0, and ranked 1st in super region one. They are averaging 52 points per game, and their average margin of victory is 38 points. Again, he's in his first year. He also has experience at FCS, as an offensive coordinator with Duquesne and Morehead State.

Jerry Mack Current team: NC Central

Mack is a younger coach, only 36 years old. However, in just three years with NC Central, he has the team ranked 20th and on track for their third straight MEAC title. The Eagles are averaging close to 30 points per game...and that is with early games against Duke and Western Michigan.

Billy Crocker Current team: Villanova (DC)

Andy Talley is the infamous coach at Villanova, who has been there for over 30 years now. Throughout that time, the Wildcats have been on and off, even a couple of trips to semi-finals and one championship appearance. Their defense is one of the best in the country, currently ranking third. If you're looking for someone to slow Caldwell down, or someone with knowledge of defending a KSU's offense...this is your guy. He's doing this in the CAA by the way. They have to play JMU, Richmond, New Hampshire, Stony Brook...etc.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I get that coaches are more fun to consider, but we should be focused on AD possibilities. And frankly some of the more familiar names listed above could be on our list at some point for the AD slot.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I wasn't a big fan of Streeter's play calling at Liberty, but he is doing great now at Clemson
The Bowden's age works against them, and I actually think their name recognition may as well I do not look for a "name" hire this go-round Minter would be a great Liberty fit, but his 18-26 record at Campbell is unimpressive
Last edited by olldflame on November 18th, 2016, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I get that coaches are more fun to consider, but we should be focused on AD possibilities. And frankly some of the more familiar names listed above could be on our list at some point for the AD slot.

Why not discuss both? Someone should make an AD thread in the general sports section.
By Jonathan Carone
If interested, Street will get a look because of his past here.

It wouldn't surprise me if Wach applied, although VMI is a better fit for him.

I have no desire for anything Bowden. They're too old for where we are and would just be a name hire.

I'd rather have a Chadwell type (up and comer from D2 or lower FCS) or a Rocco type (FBS assistant with more responsibilities than just a position coach).

I'm not interested in retread head coaches who have been fired from other jobs. They'd either not be good (which is why they were fired) or would be here just long enough to get back to where they want to go.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I know Proto does this as a joke but Id certainly throw my hat in if only for laughs in the search committee room
By Equinox
Registration Days Posts
Brandon Streeter should be the first option:
1) He knows the culture
2) He can relate to the players due to his age
3) As former QB and current QB coach at Clemson, he would be a huge asset to Buckshot
4) He has established recruiting ties in VA, SC, NC, GA and Fl.
5) He has a better offensive mind than the current Liberty Staff.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]