Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Come on, RI, jump off that paranoid wagon that you're riding. Mrs. Freeze doesn't know Lynchburg yet, and probably doesn't even know what house or what part of town she wants to live in. The last I heard from Ballcoach's sources, Hugh Freeze was living out of the Mansion on campus.

Ballcoach is right. Give the Freeze family a chance to make Lynchburg their home. Coming from Oxford, MS, they probably consider Virginia moving "up north." I lived in Oxford, MS long enough to know that anything above Memphis is considered "north" to them.

I can relate to "up North". I feel that way every time I cross the James River in Lynchburg.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:I am just a little concerned it will be 1 or 2 seasons and leave the program in a hard spot. #InIanWeTrust
If he has the success needed to leave in 1-2 seasons, I'll gladly take where we are as a program at that point and welcome being in the hard spot.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
If we win 7 games and then win a bowl. (8 total wins) with all the seniors we have, and Hugh leaves, right now Id have to predict we would be in much worse shape than when he took over.
By Jonathan Carone
If we are talking on field product then yeah, I buy that. 2020 is likely a rebuilding year regardless of who the coach is.

If Hugh gets us to where he can leave for an SEC school in one year then a couple things will have happened:

1) The FBS recruited underclassmen likely developed and contributed.

2) The reputation and prestige of the program is elevated to a level higher than it was this past year.

I’ll take that over the direction we were going all day every day.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The year we went to playoffs and beat JMU, I considered that reaching the "next level", at the time. We did not build on that season. Instead we went backwards, while JMU went forward, including a NC.
Since that season, we have been stuck in neutral.
By richmondvareb
Been reading the board since I am a huge Freeze fan and now a Flames fan. Just some general comments reflecting on what I've read on the boards:

1. I have never really met Hugh Freeze, so I do not know him personally. I go down to Ole Miss for at least one game a year though, and I follow them daily on their message boards. So I have always been familiar with his track record at Ole Miss and previously. Hugh Freeze has won everywhere he has gone (high school in Memphis, Lambuth College in Jackson, TN, Arkansas State and my alma mater, Ole Miss). Folks, he is going to win at Liberty as well--TAKE THAT ONE TO THE BANK.
2. Liberty has just moved up to Division 1, so it may take a couple of years to get the recruiting upgraded. Remember this though, Hugh was hired right before the early commitment date, so this latest commitment class is not really one of "his" classes (maybe a couple of exceptions, but none of the commitments were players that Hugh could put his magical touch on because he didn't have any real time with the families which is his magic touch--especially the moms and grandmoms).
3. About Freeze leaving Liberty for the SEC after a short stint in Lynchburg, I'm not sure how to evaluate that. The vast majority of Freeze's tweets reflect a deep commitment to a conservative Christianity, so he is really at home at Liberty as far as his inner soul is concerned. Don't ever discount that fundamental fact. There is an appeal to go back to the SEC I'm sure because of all the national attention, but there is another appeal too. I truly believe Hugh Freeze could make Liberty the "conservative Christianity" Notre Dame of college football if he is as successful as I think he will be. There are many millions of conservative Christians nationwide, and I personally was a fan of Liberty for that very same reason well before Hugh Freeze was hired by Liberty. So, don't discount the pull that those millions of conservative Christians will have. A future big pull for tv networks to show Liberty because of the advertiser appeal is going to be there, especially if and when Liberty is fielding a nationally recognized team. Ever wondered why Notre Dame is on tv so much and included in national football discussions even though I personally believe much of those discussions are unwarranted due to the real quality (or lack thereof) of the Notre Dame teams? I"m not referring to this year's Notre Dame teams, but prior ones although the current one did not do too well against Clemson. Yep, that big advertiser appeal can turn something mediocre in a new direction.
4. Kent Austin is an outstanding coach just as he was an outstanding quarterback at Ole Miss. I wanted him to be our quarterbacks coach at Ole Miss but the timing just never arose. Freeze has hired a jewel there, and I've seen comments on a few Ole Miss message boards about how unfortunate that he got away from us. He did coach Ole Miss several years ago but never had the time there to develop his style. I'm betting he'll have that time at Liberty.
5. Liberty is going to have some exciting years coming up I believe because of Hugh Freeze. I've never been to a game at Liberty, but your most recent hire has changed all of that for the immediate future for me and my family. Go Flames.
Last edited by richmondvareb on January 4th, 2019, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By cruzan_flame13
richmondvareb wrote:Been reading the board since I am a huge Freeze fan and now a Flames fan. Just some general comments reflecting on what I've read on the boards:

1. I have never really met Hugh Freeze, so I do not know him personally. I go down to Ole Miss for at least one game a year though, and I follow them daily on their message boards. So I have always been familiar with his track record at Ole Miss and previously. Hugh Freeze has won everywhere he has gone (high school in Memphis, Lambuth College in Jackson, TN, Arkansas State and my alma mater, Ole Miss). Folks, he is going to win at Liberty as well--TAKE THAT ONE TO THE BANK.
2. Liberty has just moved up to Division 1, so it may take a couple of years to get the recruiting upgraded. Remember this though, Hugh was hired right before the early commitment date, so this latest commitment class is not really one of "his" classes (maybe a couple of exceptions, but none of the commitments were players that Hugh could put his magical touch on because he didn't have any real time with the families which is his magic touch--especially the moms and grandmoms).
3. About Freeze leaving Liberty for the SEC after a short stint in Lynchburg, I'm not sure how to evaluate that. The vast majority of Freeze's tweets reflect a deep commitment to a conservative Christianity, so he is really at home at Liberty as far as his inner soul is concerned. Don't ever discount that fundamental fact. There is an appeal to go back to the SEC I'm sure because of all the national attention, but there is another appeal too. I truly believe Hugh Freeze could make Liberty the "conservative Christianity" Notre Dame of college football if he is as successful as I think he will be. There are many millions of conservative Christians nationwide, and I personally was a fan of Liberty for that very same reason well before Hugh Freeze was hired by Liberty. So, don't discount the pull that those millions of conservative Christians will have. A future big pull for tv networks to show Liberty because of the advertiser appeal is going to be there, especially if and when Liberty is fielding a nationally recognized team. Ever wondered why Notre Dame is on tv so much and included in national football discussions even though I personally believe much of those discussions are unwarranted due to the real quality (of lack thereof) of the Notre Dame teams? I"m not referring to this year's Notre Dame teams, but prior ones although the current one did not do too well against Clemson. Yep, that big advertiser appeal can turn something mediocre in a new direction.
4. Kent Austin is an outstanding coach just as he was an outstanding quarterback at Ole Miss. I wanted him to be our quarterbacks coach at Ole Miss but the timing just never arose. Freeze has hired a jewel there, and I've seen comments on a few Ole Miss message boards about how unfortunate that he got away from us. He did coach Ole Miss several years ago but never had the time there to develop his style. I'm betting he'll have that time at Liberty.
5. Liberty is going to have some exciting years coming up I believe because of Hugh Freeze. I've never been to a game at Liberty, but your most recent hire has changed all of that for the immediate future for me and my family. Go Flames.
:welcome

Thank you for your message! Glad to have you here!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Richmond, if you make it to an LU home game, you're welcome to join this Ole Miss alum's tailgate party in Lynchburg. :tailgate :koolaid
By richmondvareb
Thanks Jim. Not sure how the tailgates work at Liberty, but hopefully I'll become acquainted pretty soon. Hope to meet you and several other Ole Miss fans who have posted on these boards. Great to have a team close by that I can support without any reservations and without having to drive 823 miles one way to Oxford (I'll still do it once a year though).
By LU 57
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
richmondvareb wrote:Been reading the board since I am a huge Freeze fan and now a Flames fan. Just some general comments reflecting on what I've read on the boards:

3. About Freeze leaving Liberty for the SEC after a short stint in Lynchburg, I'm not sure how to evaluate that. The vast majority of Freeze's tweets reflect a deep commitment to a conservative Christianity, so he is really at home at Liberty as far as his inner soul is concerned. Don't ever discount that fundamental fact. There is an appeal to go back to the SEC I'm sure because of all the national attention, but there is another appeal too. I truly believe Hugh Freeze could make Liberty the "conservative Christianity" Notre Dame of college football if he is as successful as I think he will be. There are many millions of conservative Christians nationwide, and I personally was a fan of Liberty for that very same reason well before Hugh Freeze was hired by Liberty. So, don't discount the pull that those millions of conservative Christians will have. A future big pull for tv networks to show Liberty because of the advertiser appeal is going to be there, especially if and when Liberty is fielding a nationally recognized team. Ever wondered why Notre Dame is on tv so much and included in national football discussions even though I personally believe much of those discussions are unwarranted due to the real quality (of lack thereof) of the Notre Dame teams? I"m not referring to this year's Notre Dame teams, but prior ones although the current one did not do too well against Clemson. Yep, that big advertiser appeal can turn something mediocre in a new direction.
:welcome

Thank you for your message! Glad to have you here!
+1
By CCWMichael

3. About Freeze leaving Liberty for the SEC after a short stint in Lynchburg, I'm not sure how to evaluate that. The vast majority of Freeze's tweets reflect a deep commitment to a conservative Christianity, so he is really at home at Liberty as far as his inner soul is concerned. Don't ever discount that fundamental fact. There is an appeal to go back to the SEC I'm sure because of all the national attention, but there is another appeal too. I truly believe Hugh Freeze could make Liberty the "conservative Christianity" Notre Dame of college football if he is as successful as I think he will be. There are many millions of conservative Christians nationwide, and I personally was a fan of Liberty for that very same reason well before Hugh Freeze was hired by Liberty. So, don't discount the pull that those millions of conservative Christians will have. A future big pull for tv networks to show Liberty because of the advertiser appeal is going to be there, especially if and when Liberty is fielding a nationally recognized team. Ever wondered why Notre Dame is on tv so much and included in national football discussions even though I personally believe much of those discussions are unwarranted due to the real quality (or lack thereof) of the Notre Dame teams? I"m not referring to this year's Notre Dame teams, but prior ones although the current one did not do too well against Clemson. Yep, that big advertiser appeal can turn something mediocre in a new direction.
+2
Welcome!
By CCWMichael
Football. Such a funny game.
Alabama really appears to co ntrol much of thbis game yet they are getting blown out at this point 44-16.
Watching Clemson and how gthey are pulling this off makes me a bigger believer in Freezeology.
Freeze's concern for D is 3rd downs and the red zone and it exactly that why Bama is down big.
By cruzan_flame13
CCWMichael wrote:Football. Such a funny game.
Alabama really appears to co ntrol much of thbis game yet they are getting blown out at this point 44-16.
Watching Clemson and how gthey are pulling this off makes me a bigger believer in Freezeology.
Freeze's concern for D is 3rd downs and the red zone and it exactly that why Bama is down big.
LU football and other Olympic sports is going to new heights! Don’t blink too much because one might miss out! :football Play Basketball 8)
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]