Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: That just wouldn’t make a ton of sense to do. You either believe in the guy or you don’t. If you do, give him the contract. If you don’t, find the right guy. You can’t be recruiting players when the coach is on one year deals.
I believe there can be a guy for transition and a guy for obtaining future goals.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote: That just wouldn’t make a ton of sense to do. You either believe in the guy or you don’t. If you do, give him the contract. If you don’t, find the right guy. You can’t be recruiting players when the coach is on one year deals.
I believe there can be a guy for transition and a guy for obtaining future goals.
If that's the case, would you say finishing 6-6 or 7-5 this year completes the transition and it's now time to turn your attention to who can obtain your future goals?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Transition success to me would be for 2 more seasons, having .500 records and recruiting top 85 classes.

Mainly recruiting and not getting embarrassed on the big stage. Both of which I think Gill has proved to be very good at.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:Mainly recruiting and not getting embarrassed on the big stage
If that's your barometer for the next couple years, I can understand keeping Gill. I have a different standard/expectation which explains our differences.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
App State was the anomaly. Look at the stats Jon dug up about Transition year records. I am not looking for Gill to go gangbusters the next two seasons. I am looking for him to steady the ship and keep us from drowning like the beach chickens are doing.

So it appears I am a little less optimistic and positive about our future than you are ?
By Class of 20Something
R i wrote:App State was the anomaly. Look at the stats Jon dug up about Transition year records. I am not looking for Gill to go gangbusters the next two seasons. I am looking for him to steady the ship and keep us from drowning like the beach chickens are doing.

So it appears I am a little less optimistic and positive about our future than you are ?
I think we had a good selection of recruits on campus for the destruction of Troy. I do believe that if we were sitting at 10 3*s committed right now, there wouldn't be a single worry. But we have only two. I am hoping for a flood that settles us all that we won't fall off a cliff after Buckshot and AGG graduate.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Same

I am not super hopeful we will be top 85 recruiting class this year. Started off so strong with the 3* QB. We will see. Gill has done a good job recruiting to LU so far.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:App State was the anomaly. Look at the stats Jon dug up about Transition year records. I am not looking for Gill to go gangbusters the next two seasons. I am looking for him to steady the ship and keep us from drowning like the beach chickens are doing.

The way I look at it is that with the talent we're getting on campus, we have every reason to expect to be at App's level in a couple years. I just don't have faith with the development and decisions we've seen under this staff that it'll actually happen.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
So you are saying we are winning in recruiting with Gill ? By my standards that is more than half the battle during transition. Especially at LU
By Jonathan Carone
I think Gill has always been able to get skill players here. That's never been in question. From the recruiting side of things, I question his planning and development of players.

I've said it before and will continue to say it: getting players to Liberty is not a problem. We've had talent going back to when Karcher was here. It's finding someone who can both fit our mission and be a good football coach. Most coaches are one or the other.
By CCWMichael
I can manage Gill I think, maybe, I might but the only way I might find grace is if he acts!

Wimberlies Wonders have got to GO!
By Jonathan Carone
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I think this means that Giil will be here for next season and probably get an extended contract:

If he wins six games, he’s earned it. We don’t have to like it, and we may have negative thoughts about him moving forward, but there would be no denying he has earned the chance to keep improving. It shouldn’t be a Barber type sweetened deal, but a two year extension at his current salary with significant bowl bonuses is more than fair in my mind.

As for my personal opinion, one season doesn’t change what I think, but I also don’t think it’s fair to lock someone in a box and say they don’t deserve the opportunity to get better. If he can string together multiple good seasons, I’ll be glad to say I was wrong. I’ve said since the playoff run I want him to prove me wrong and make me look stupid.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I think this means that Giil will be here for next season and probably get an extended contract:

If he wins six games, he’s earned it. We don’t have to like it, and we may have negative thoughts about him moving forward, but there would be no denying he has earned the chance to keep improving. It shouldn’t be a Barber type sweetened deal, but a two year extension at his current salary with significant bowl bonuses is more than fair in my mind.

As for my personal opinion, one season doesn’t change what I think, but I also don’t think it’s fair to lock someone in a box and say they don’t deserve the opportunity to get better. If he can string together multiple good seasons, I’ll be glad to say I was wrong. I’ve said since the playoff run I want him to prove me wrong and make me look stupid.
That was a very mature and thoughtful post. Are you not feeling well? :) :D
Conversely I think the second half of the season is where Gill’s coaching skills will be tested, at least from my standpoint. It will be very easy to lose the locker room after UVA and Auburn. Especially if they lose the week before. I don’t think he will but I can see it as a possible outcome
By Jonathan Carone
I actually think I may contradict myself. If he gets to six wins but not seven, that means we lost to either NMSU, UMass, or NSU. I think you still extend him then, but there’s a justification for making a change if Ian knows he can do better.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We have a history of extending contracts leaving easier outs for us. It is tough to put a coach in a position where he is trying to recruit going into the final year of his contract. I suspect they won't leave him dangling one way or the other.
By Class of 20Something
How about an angle we havent covered yet. What schools would be willing to offer Turner Gill a 4 year contract after this season?

If we goto and win a bowl game, that is a possibility.

Would a program like Maryland or Rutgers be interested in him?
By tyndal23
Class of 20Something wrote:How about an angle we havent covered yet. What schools would be willing to offer Turner Gill a 4 year contract after this season?

Ha ! I said that on another thread. Bowl game this year and we will be favored in 8 games next year and he gets a P5 offer...
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:How about an angle we havent covered yet. What schools would be willing to offer Turner Gill a 4 year contract after this season?

Ha ! I said that on another thread. Bowl game this year and we will be favored in 8 games next year and he gets a P5 offer...
About the same chance that we have beating both UVA and Auburn. Didn't know there was enough Kool Aid in the world to think TG will get a P5 offer. Those schools know enough to recognize his sophomoric game management mistakes and lack of imagination on both sides of the ball. We can always hope though. 8)
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:He fooled Kansas once upon a time. There are a few other P5 programs just as foolish.
Not any more, not after the first trip. He has a bigger body of work to review now.
By Class of 20Something
I just tossed up a couple P5. What about Texas State or another struggling G5 school? It might not be about the prestige of the destination but of long term job security. 4 years at another G5 VS two years with Liberty.
By Jonathan Carone
Turner Gill makes $1 million per year at a school where he can be himself and not worry about people complaining about his religious beliefs. It’ll take a lot more than a meddling G5 school to lure him away. He’s dealt with state school liberalism and I doubt he wants to do it again.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]