Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
By the way, it took overtime for OU to beat Army!

I am officially going on record saying that IF we do not show improvement the next two weeks, which I still think by the next home game we will be sitting at 3-2 overall, then I will officially get on the FireGill train. Love the man as a brother in Christ and I am thankful like you guys for his integrity, but there was to much lack of focus tonight and even from the first offensive and defensive series there was little to no energy!
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:947,281
This puts Gill at the 83rd highest paid head coach in FBS.

That leads me to this question:

Under this staff, do you ever think we will be the 83rd best team in FBS football?
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Based on current rankings (season long rankings) thread, one poll has us at 94 today. It’s possible this season we could be the 83rd best FBS team. I really think that Gill is a decent HC who could be better with better Assts. he just doesn’t have it in him to fire his friends.
By Neo
Imagine being 88 spots behind an in state FCS school that most fans viewed as a rival 2 years ago, and being okay with the coaching staff.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Sagarin has us at 134.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
This puts Gill at the 83rd highest paid head coach in FBS.

That leads me to this question:

Under this staff, do you ever think we will be the 83rd best team in FBS football?
Yea but you said in FBS so you can’t utilize sagarin because that includes FCS. I’d say you have to use FBS only ratings.
By Jonathan Carone
Here are the salaries of the coaches from the 15 schools rated behind us in Sagarin:

ODU - $654,667
Rutgers - $2.2 million
San Jose State - $594,424
South Alabama - $600,000
Louisiana-Monroe - $390,00
UMass - $500,000
Kent State - $440,000
UTSA - $1.1 million
UConn - $1.1 million
Rice - unlisted
Bowling Green - $437,228
NMSU - $419,640
Charlotte - $625,000
Texas State - $700,000
UTEP - $700,000
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Then we are 115 in the Sagarin. There are only 15 FBS schools rated behind us yet there are 47 paying their coaches less.
Than I would say yes we could get to 83rd. Possibly even this season. Say we somehow beat Troy, assuming a NMSU win as well. We’re 4-2 with our losses being two really good teams. I could see 83rd.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Here are the salaries of the coaches from the 15 schools rated behind us in Sagarin:

ODU - $654,667
Rutgers - $2.2 million
South Alabama - $600,000
UMass - $500,000
Kent State - $440,000
UTSA - $1.1 million
UConn - $1.1 million
Rice - unlisted
Bowling Green - $437,228
NMSU - $419,640
Charlotte - $625,000
Texas State - $700,000
UTEP - $700,000
In your opinion are any of those coaches better for LU than Gill?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Look weve all known gill and co were overpaid almost the entire time. They really only had the 1 year where they came close to fulfilling their expectations. Im very curious to see how the rest of the year plays out. I personally think the sagarin is bs. It in no way can measure the level of opponent difference between fbs and fcs.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Based on results, I would say he is overpaid by at least $800K a year. I would say $900K, but we did beat Baylor. The football program is no better off than the day he walked on campus.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Here are the salaries of the coaches from the 15 schools rated behind us in Sagarin:

ODU - $654,667
Rutgers - $2.2 million
South Alabama - $600,000
UMass - $500,000
Kent State - $440,000
UTSA - $1.1 million
UConn - $1.1 million
Rice - unlisted
Bowling Green - $437,228
NMSU - $419,640
Charlotte - $625,000
Texas State - $700,000
UTEP - $700,000
In your opinion are any of those coaches better for LU than Gill?
No. But that’s not what I was trying to prove. I was showing how much we are overpaying by.
By Jonathan Carone
To answer the question I think you were implying, here are five coaches at $1 million or less who could fit at Liberty and are doing better than we are:

Lane Kiffin - $1 million ($2.85 million buyout)
Charlie Strong - $1 million ($192,308 buyout)
Bill Clark - $900,000 ($3.84 million buyout)
Scott Satterfield - $712,500 ($2.16 million buyout)
Terry Bowden - $412,500 ($688,500 buyout)
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I could agree with all that. I think it also proves we could attract a nice coach off that list. If were paying gill almost 1 mil you have to think wed go to at least 1.5 for the right guy.
By Class of 20Something
jinxy wrote:I could agree with all that. I think it also proves we could attract a nice coach off that list. If were paying gill almost 1 mil you have to think wed go to at least 1.5 for the right guy.
In a heartbeat.

I actually think even given our inconsistent nature THIS SEASON, we are probably over performing given our lack of depth on the roster. As much as it pains me to day this, having a solid argument to be in the top 100 halfway through our first FBS season without playing a single FCS opponent yet juxtaposed to our lack of depth should be a testament to our coaching staff.

Most of us didn't even have us projected to have 2 wins at this point even with an FCS game scheduled. We are exceeding the realistic expectations and I would wager most of us won't mind the salary in hindsight if we make the cure bowl this season.
By Jonathan Carone
Class of 20Something wrote:I would wager most of us won't mind the salary in hindsight if we make the cure bowl this season.
We are on the treadmill of mediocrity. He may get us to a bowl game occasionally (or even this year), but we've seen he’s going to do stupid stuff that makes no sense whatsoever. We will never consistently be more than average with him. His career has proven that's who he is. So, in the most Typical Liberty thing ever, he'll probably roll out 6-7 wins this year and force us to make a decision to either give him an extension or fire the coach who exceeded expectations in our first FBS season followed by underwhelming seasons the next two years. Then we'll be mediocre and exceed our average expectations again and he'll get another extensions and the treadmill will keep going.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I would wager most of us won't mind the salary in hindsight if we make the cure bowl this season.
We are on the treadmill of mediocrity. He may get us to a bowl game occasionally (or even this year), but we've seen he’s going to do stupid stuff that makes no sense whatsoever. We will never consistently be more than average with him. His career has proven that's who he is. So, in the most Typical Liberty thing ever, he'll probably roll out 6-7 wins this year and force us to make a decision to either give him an extension or fire the coach who exceeded expectations in our first FBS season followed by underwhelming seasons the next two years. Then we'll be mediocre and exceed our average expectations again and he'll get another extensions and the treadmill will keep going.
Normally, I would agree with your assessment. However, with Ian McCaw at the helm, I believe he is better equipped than anyone we have ever had, to make decisions that will help us get over that roadblock. Confident he will not be happy with mediocrity.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
There are plenty of options if he wins enough games to get another year. Offer a 1 year extension is the most obvious. If they dont like it nobody is forcing them to stay then we didnt fire the guy that exceeded expectations year 1. I dont think will fall into same trap jb did.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:To answer the question I think you were implying, here are five coaches at $1 million or less who could fit at Liberty and are doing better than we are:

Lane Kiffin - $1 million ($2.85 million buyout)
Charlie Strong - $1 million ($192,308 buyout)
Bill Clark - $900,000 ($3.84 million buyout)
Scott Satterfield - $712,500 ($2.16 million buyout)
Terry Bowden - $412,500 ($688,500 buyout)
That was the answer I was looking for.

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]