Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The entire transfer section of NCAA rule book needs to be revised.
Actually, the NCAA is giving serious consideration to some major changes in the transfer rules, but I'm afraid you won't like them. There is discussion of allowing all players to transfer at least once at any time in their career without penalty (just like coaches do). They would not have to sit a year as they do now. I happen to like the current rule, but I can see where the NCAA would be concerned that it might not hold up to a legal challenge. As far as placing greater restrictions on transferring, which I'm sure is where you were going.......not gunna happen.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When a player signs with. School, he should stay ther 4 years.

We cannot allow college players to seek free agency. If that happens, the rogue schools will be paying players to transfer.

There would be more hanky panky happening than there is now
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:When a player signs with. School, he should stay ther 4 years.

We cannot allow college players to seek free agency. If that happens, the rogue schools will be paying players to transfer.

So a player is offered a one-year scholarship and you think they should commit for four years. Got it. That may make sense in your head, but not in the real world. It’s a contract. Each side commits to a year. Current transfer rules are not equitable and favor the institution. It is likely that will shift in the direction of the student athlete in the coming years.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:When a player signs with. School, he should stay ther 4 years.

You apparently haven't been paying much attention to recent events. There is a new sheriff in college sports; the FBI. Paying players to sign out of HS or transfer is far less likely to happen than it has been in a long time, and that is where the focus needs to be, not on restricting the freedom of 18-22 year old kids to go to school and compete in athletics where they feel they can be happy and successful.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
My head tells me that they are a one year at a time deal. But I have always maintained they should be 4 year deal.

Not know if it's true or not,but I heard today there may be a "package" deal brewing. If true, it probably have to wait until after bowl game.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:My head tells me that they are a one year at a time deal. But I have always maintained they should be 4 year deal.

Not know if it's true or not,but I heard today there may be a "package" deal brewing. If true, it probably have to wait until after bowl game.
A lot of schools have unwritten rules that a scholarship is for 4 years. I know for a fact we did, back in the day. I know several of the BSC schools are/were in the same place. Again, it is pretty much accepted/assumed that an offer is good for 4 years, but nothing official.
Package deal huh? Kinda interesting. As long as it happens, it doesn't matter how long we have to wait. Wonder who Clemson will be playing in a bowl game? With Miami losing today, it is wide open.

Gill 4 life.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:My head tells me that they are a one year at a time deal. But I have always maintained they should be 4 year deal.

So would this be someone different then you said before? Cause that would have been a Top 5 FBS Coach. Is LU downgrading? What is in the Package Deal? A coach and a QB? LU has a pretty good QB already. A Father/Son tandem. Like say The Briles Family? Or Bowden? Or Holtz?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:

A lot of schools have unwritten rules that a scholarship is for 4 years. I know for a fact we did, back in the day. I know several of the BSC schools are/were in the same place. Again, it is pretty much accepted/assumed that an offer is good for 4 years, but nothing official.
Package deal huh? Kinda interesting. As long as it happens, it doesn't matter how long we have to wait. Wonder who Clemson will be playing in a bowl game? With Miami losing today, it is wide open.

Gill 4 life.
I have to disagree on the scholarships. Sure, when a recruit signs a NLI, both parties plan and hope for 4 years, but they are also very well aware they are one year contracts, and if things don't go as planned they can use that flexibility to facilitate changes that are most often mutually beneficial. There are a FEW schools who try to stick to a 4 year scholarship commitment, not a lot. It's been a LONG time since Liberty did. I remember when Meyer had a pipeline of basketball players who couldn't cut the mustard here going to Kentucky Christian.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
flameshaw wrote:

Gill 4 life.
I have to disagree on the scholarships. Sure, when a recruit signs a NLI, both parties plan and hope for 4 years, but they are also very well aware they are one year contracts, and if things don't go as planned they can use that flexibility to facilitate changes that are most often mutually beneficial. There are a FEW schools who try to stick to a 4 year scholarship commitment, not a lot. It's been a LONG time since Liberty did. I remember when Meyer had a pipeline of basketball players who couldn't cut the mustard here going to Kentucky Christian.
We can certainly guess/contest what a "few" and a "lot" are. I don't want to get into a contest over it. It has been a while ago, as I mentioned, but I was in a meeting with probably 50+ AD's and almost all of them said that they would not allow their coaches to take scholarships away from the athletes, unless there was a illegal or immoral problem with the recruit. It just didn't set a get practice for the long run of the institution. Interestingly enough, one of the AD's was Chuck Burch, who was the LU AD at the time and it was when Meyer was coaching. I know Meyer was here a lot longer than Burch was and things change for sure.
Don't want to get too far down a rabbit trail. After all, I am much more interested in who our next FB coach is going to be than how long scholarships are expected to be honored, who we are recruiting, past practices, etc. Sorry I chimed in on the scholarship part of the conversation.
Let's start spreading some juicy rumors on who will lead us against ODU next year. I kinda like Streeter, but would be happy with a bigger name with HC experience as well. We are going to need lots of help and have a UCF type of turnaround to keep our fans interested, in the interim. We have a very difficult schedule the next several years.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Now that Nebraska is looking a HC, maybe they will solve our problem for us and hire TG, a former great Husker. He was 4th in the Heisman voting while playing QB at Nebraska. Hard to imagine they could pass up such a good coach, great man and alum. 8) (I do hope he lands in a good place for him) Just a little sarcasm for a couple of my good friends here.

Gill 4 life.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Actually if he is available, there is a great deal of speculation that he'd be on Scott Frost's staff in Lincoln once that finally goes down.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Actually if he is available, there is a great deal of speculation that he'd be on Scott Frost's staff in Lincoln once that finally goes down.
Seriously, I think that would be a great place for him to land. I wish him nothing but the best.

Sorry, I forgot:
Gill 4 life
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Actually if he is available, there is a great deal of speculation that he'd be on Scott Frost's staff in Lincoln once that finally goes down.
As I stated earlier it would be a no brainer on Nebraska’s end certainly
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
As I stated earlier it would be a no brainer on Nebraska’s end certainly
Gill was Frost's QB coach at Nebraska. I could see him in that role again, and it is likely the only position coach job he would accept.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Jack and Diane?
Tommy and Gina
Sid and Nancy.
(Too old for you?)
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]