Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By willflop
If Gill stays, despite IM knowing "he's not the guy," it's very possible they are being forced to think more long term. This is tough on instant gratification and impatient fans, myself included. As others have eluded to, what if LU simply can't get Coach Mr. Right at the present time. What else are they supposed to do? They recognize that a new coach is always a gamble, so it doesn't make sense to go with someone you suspect is only marginally better.

There's a lot of reasons Mr. Right wouldn't want to sign up where we are currently at. Maybe LU is being cheaper than you'd think on the salary (will JJ pay someone more than he makes, serious question?). The new coach would essentially be inheriting a mediocre FCS squad, vs. a mediocre G5 squad that has 4 years worth of FBS recruits as a foundation. What good coach wants to come and trash their record by going 6 / 18 the first two years, or worse (see CCU), for what's already a controversial school in uncharted independent status.

Given this, it wouldn't surprise me if the rationale is that Gill is doing decent enough at recruiting, can at least coach .500 seasons, so they use him for 2-3 more years. Afterwards, we'll be significantly more established in facilities and scholarship players than we are now, so LU will be in a position to make the hire they really want. The downside is that the FBS momentum and excitement will dwindle if we can't somehow do more with less during the transition. The last couple of home games this year had about as much energy as a funeral.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Will, I’ve been thinking this way for awhile. As things got worse this season, I started to turn to, “how can they NOT make a change?” At the current moment, I have no idea or clue. Fascinating, but kind of like watching a car wreck in slow motion.
By CCWMichael
willflop wrote:If Gill stays, despite IM knowing "he's not the guy," it's very possible they are being forced to think more long term. This is tough on instant gratification and impatient fans, myself included. As others have eluded to, what if LU simply can't get Coach Mr. Right at the present time. What else are they supposed to do? They recognize that a new coach is always a gamble, so it doesn't make sense to go with someone you suspect is only marginally better.

There's a lot of reasons Mr. Right wouldn't want to sign up where we are currently at. Maybe LU is being cheaper than you'd think on the salary (will JJ pay someone more than he makes, serious question?). The new coach would essentially be inheriting a mediocre FCS squad, vs. a mediocre G5 squad that has 4 years worth of FBS recruits as a foundation. What good coach wants to come and trash their record by going 6 / 18 the first two years, or worse (see CCU), for what's already a controversial school in uncharted independent status.

Given this, it wouldn't surprise me if the rationale is that Gill is doing decent enough at recruiting, can at least coach .500 seasons, so they use him for 2-3 more years. Afterwards, we'll be significantly more established in facilities and scholarship players than we are now, so LU will be in a position to make the hire they really want. The downside is that the FBS momentum and excitement will dwindle if we can't somehow do more with less during the transition. The last couple of home games this year had about as much energy as a funeral.
For the record I have attended Irish wakes with more energy .....
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
UAB's Bill Clark isn't going anywhere ...
FootballScoop.com wrote: Source tells FootballScoop Bill Clark’s extension with UAB (which was pending Board approval) has now been finalized and signed. Clark has his Blazers bowl eligible in year one back from the dead. Impressive things happening in Birmingham.
Source
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:UAB's Bill Clark isn't going anywhere ...
FootballScoop.com wrote: Source tells FootballScoop Bill Clark’s extension with UAB (which was pending Board approval) has now been finalized and signed. Clark has his Blazers bowl eligible in year one back from the dead. Impressive things happening in Birmingham.
Source
Told you.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach trolls so hard without realizing it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUalum12 wrote:We are stuck with Gill. Happy Thanksgiving. :D
Officially?
By Ewglenn
Purple Haize wrote:
Officially?
Please say this isn't confirmed
By ElmersTwin
Liberty22 wrote:It could be Ian is waiting until other teams seasons are over to make a decision or announcement?
Doubtful. Sumlin's a pipe dream.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Officially?
Don't get your hopes up or start breathing too hard Purple. 8) I would say 95-05 against. But miracles do happen.

Gill 4 life
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
ElmersTwin wrote:
Liberty22 wrote:It could be Ian is waiting until other teams seasons are over to make a decision or announcement?
Doubtful. Sumlin's a pipe dream.
As someone who has been around most of his career, I'd refer to him as a pipe nightmare. No thank you. I was hoping the Ags would keep him around longer to keep them down.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Every coach that gets fired gets mentioned on here makes me laugh. Ive still only heard 3 realistic possibilities on the board 1 of which is now off the market in the UAB coach. The rest are total non fits. If you want to look for possibilities look for guys that are christians that fit the school and then have some combination of either tied to LU, up and coming coordinators who can recruit or retread head coaches like gill. Then theres always the wild card like a retired name nfl coach or someone that comes out of left field (very small likelihood) with this group.

Otherwise guys like more, sumlin, foster, there are just about zero connections or reasons.

I still stand by troy walters. I havent seen a person id want more yet. (From what i can see).
Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]