Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I hope nobody here actually thinks a coach like Dabo or even Stoops would consider coming to LU at this point.
Well ballcoach has predicted a Top 5 FBS coach
I'm still Gill4Life but know how this place works

Briles
Miles
Stoops are all possible at this point
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
A campus ACLU at a public might drive one of those coaches our way. Dabo. He wouldn't be the first. But I like Turner and think he's solid through 2019/20.

I saw the boss, IM and family leaving church this morning.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Gill is not the guy, even if we go 10-1. We need a defensive-minded coach who can bring in FBS ready players who can actually tackle. He may survive another year, but I think we should make a change after the season and just start the inevitable a year sooner. We have not improved as a team under Gill. He has had 5 years to prove himself, I believe he has.

Love the guy as a person, just not a successful coach at LU, or anywhere else for that matter.
By rtb72
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:I hope nobody here actually thinks a coach like Dabo or even Stoops would consider coming to LU at this point.

Briles
Miles
PH, serious question as I'm not trying to be controversial. I'm genuinely interested. From JUST a football perspective; may I ask why you are "Gill4Life"? I mean, I really want him to be successful. I want him to achieve all that we have the potential to achieve as a college football team, and yes....he is a coach of very high character. But what is it about his coaching skills set that endears him to you and probably others? Or is it mostly his character? The latter of which I will fully acknowledge and agree is not something to take lightly for any of our coaches, faculty, or staff.....
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Guy takes LU to the Playoffs. Guy gets LU their first and only Playoff win. Guy beats FBS schools. Guy gets LU first win over P5 opponent. You just can't make some people happy. Smh
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Briles
Miles
PH, serious question as I'm not trying to be controversial. I'm genuinely interested. From JUST a football perspective; may I ask why you are "Gill4Life"? I mean, I really want him to be successful. I want him to achieve all that we have the potential to achieve as a college football team, and yes....he is a coach of very high character. But what is it about his coaching skills set that endears him to you and probably others? Or is it mostly his character? The latter of which I will fully acknowledge and agree is not something to take lightly for any of our coaches, faculty, or staff.....
He is unique to a unique institution. See my previous post. I like him as the Face of LU Football. He's successful enough and is competitive. Look at how LU fared last year compared to this year against JSU. It's improvement.
If it was just about winning (which it soon will be) jettison him and back up the LUO cash for someone who can just win.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Guy takes LU to the Playoffs. Guy gets LU their first and only Playoff win. Guy beats FBS schools. Guy gets LU first win over P5 opponent. You just can't make some people happy. Smh
He's 38-26 at LU. Not great. Love his character but his game management and decision making is why he's 38-26. Now, after this season he may be somewhere like 44 or 45 and 26, which is why you keep him another year or two. If he regresses which he probably will as the talent we play gets tougher than you probably look another direction but for now he's safe for another year or two.
By Class of 20Something
TH Spangler wrote:A campus ACLU at a public might drive one of those coaches our way. Dabo. He wouldn't be the first. But I like Turner and think he's solid through 2019/20.

I saw the boss, IM and family leaving church this morning.
That's good to hear. What kind of church is it? Just curious about his worship/sermon style preference.
By rtb72
He is unique to a unique institution. See my previous post. I like him as the Face of LU Football. He's successful enough and is competitive. Look at how LU fared last year compared to this year against JSU. It's improvement.
If it was just about winning (which it soon will be) jettison him and back up the LUO cash for someone who can just win.[/quote]

Yes...he is unique to a unique institution, and he is a great "face" for LU football. I see improvement as relative and subject to debate. Nonetheless, he has put our name out there more than it was, and done so with integrity. I just don't think being a good guy and "successful enough" is really rising to meet the challenges of being a HC at a growing University and program. I do appreciate your perspective as it helps me understand some of the opinions out there in regards to our coaching conversations.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:He is unique to a unique institution. See my previous post. I like him as the Face of LU Football. He's successful enough and is competitive. Look at how LU fared last year compared to this year against JSU. It's improvement.
If it was just about winning (which it soon will be) jettison him and back up the LUO cash for someone who can just win.
Yes...he is unique to a unique institution, and he is a great "face" for LU football. I see improvement as relative and subject to debate. Nonetheless, he has put our name out there more than it was, and done so with integrity. I just don't think being a good guy and "successful enough" is really rising to meet the challenges of being a HC at a growing University and program. I do appreciate your perspective as it helps me understand some of the opinions out there in regards to our coaching conversations.[/quote]

My use of 'Improvement' was comparing this years JSU game to last years JSU game.
I don't recall too many people asking for his job after week one. In fact I was excoriated for some unknown reason. Yet now those same people are saying 'off with his head'. If LU wins out, that's a pretty good season. It won't mean squat because there's no Playoffs and no Bowl but still a nice record.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
{quote] He is unique to a unique institution. See my previous post. I like him as the Face of LU Football. He's successful enough and is competitive. Look at how LU fared last year compared to this year against JSU. It's improvement.
If it was just about winning (which it soon will be) jettison him and back up the LUO cash for someone who can just win.[/quote]

You mean losing by fewer points is an improvement? Wish you would have been in charge of writing my job performance reviews, when I was still working. :)
Just wondering, how can you say that it will all be about winning soon? Truly interested, not being argumentative. Once it gets all about winning, I am done.
Isn't it possible to have a man of great character (like TG), and also be a great coach? That should be our goal, not being "successful enough".
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:{/quote] He is unique to a unique institution. See my previous post. I like him as the Face of LU Football. He's successful enough and is competitive. Look at how LU fared last year compared to this year against JSU. It's improvement.
You mean losing by fewer points is an improvement? Wish you would have been in charge of writing my job performance reviews, when I was still working. :)
Just wondering, how can you say that it will all be about winning soon? Truly interested, not being argumentative. Once it gets all about winning, I am done.
Isn't it possible to have a man of great character (like TG), and also be a great coach? That should be our goal, not being "successful enough".[/quote]

You'll be done soon

EDIT I take that back. You are so hard on :koolaid you will never be done
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
flameshaw wrote:{/quote] He is unique to a unique institution. See my previous post. I like him as the Face of LU Football. He's successful enough and is competitive. Look at how LU fared last year compared to this year against JSU. It's improvement.
Isn't it possible to have a man of great character (like TG), and also be a great coach? That should be our goal, not being "successful enough".
You'll be done soon

EDIT I take that back. You are so hard on :koolaid you will never be done[/quote]

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:LOL, you are completely clueless. If you only knew. Hang in there my friend.
I'm clueless? Well that's because I don't think outside the box :roll:
By rtb72
My use of 'Improvement' was comparing this years JSU game to last years JSU game.
I don't recall too many people asking for his job after week one. In fact I was excoriated for some unknown reason. Yet now those same people are saying 'off with his head'. If LU wins out, that's a pretty good season. It won't mean squat because there's no Playoffs and no Bowl but still a nice record.[/quote]

I think this is a fair reasoning to have. If we win out...I'd agree, that is a pretty good season and yes, THAT is improvement. My concern is the inconsistency, which I believe can still go either way this year. I won't say the JSU game is the absolute measure it is happening again. Yes, we went to the playoffs and won...then the next year if just did not improve. We beat some FBS teams like Georgia State..then we lose to GW. We beat Baylor, struggle against ISU and then have quesitonable playcalling in loss to JSU. Through this lens, my assertion (my opinion only) is we are simply "spoilers"....not a progressing program. If we are consistently inconsistent...I would say that is not what we are envisioning from our program. I certainly would not condone your excoriation, but I'm thinking many saw us open the season strong with diverse offensive play, then after the JSU game thought...."here we go again" and have the last three years to draw from. Just MHO. Thanks for expanding on your thoughts. I hope we win out and the improvement is evident.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:My use of 'Improvement' was comparing this years JSU game to last years JSU game.
I don't recall too many people asking for his job after week one. In fact I was excoriated for some unknown reason. Yet now those same people are saying 'off with his head'. If LU wins out, that's a pretty good season. It won't mean squat because there's no Playoffs and no Bowl but still a nice record.
I think this is a fair reasoning to have. If we win out...I'd agree, that is a pretty good season and yes, THAT is improvement. My concern is the inconsistency, which I believe can still go either way this year. I won't say the JSU game is the absolute measure it is happening again. Yes, we went to the playoffs and won...then the next year if just did not improve. We beat some FBS teams like Georgia State..then we lose to GW. We beat Baylor, struggle against ISU and then have quesitonable playcalling in loss to JSU. Through this lens, my assertion (my opinion only) is we are simply "spoilers"....not a progressing program. If we are consistently inconsistent...I would say that is not what we are envisioning from our program. I certainly would not condone your excoriation, but I'm thinking many saw us open the season strong with diverse offensive play, then after the JSU game thought...."here we go again" and have the last three years to draw from. Just MHO. Thanks for expanding on your thoughts. I hope we win out and the improvement is evident.[/quote]

It's all good brother
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Come on ballcoach you know better than this. Defense wins championships!

Aren't you happy with 9-3 type of ball games! If you're going to be old school do it right!
By Dalegarz1
10-1 or 9-2 and Gill keeps his job. Next year's schedule will see if we can play with some of the big boys. I hope we never sacrifice the character that he brings for the sake of some perceived gains in wins and losses. Having said that, can we have both (character and coaching ability)-let's hope so.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Come on ballcoach you know better than this. Liberty wins shared championships!

Aren't you happy with 9-3 type of ball games! If you're going to be old school do it right!
FIFY
Last edited by Yacht Rock on September 25th, 2017, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]