Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ericlc72
olldflame wrote:
ericlc72 wrote:It seems to me that it would make since to get the AD hired and let that person handle the head coaching situation. I think just because he is still employed isn't necessarily an indication that he is staying. Wait for the AD hire then we may find out something.
JonathonCarone posted this in the "Season Postmortum" Thread:

"I know it was mentioned in the Wagner thread, but I did find out for sure that the staff is being retained for next year. The reason was mainly due to the amount of money it would cost to make a change, not because there's a ton of confidence in the staff. They get a year to prove the new AD they're worth keeping.

The Wagner firing was made completely by Gill and not at the suggestion of Jerry. A large reason for it was because it was believed Wagner had lost the linemen and a change was needed to move them forward.

As far as I know there won't be any other staff shake up. That's obviously subject to change, but as of now, it looks like everything other than OL will remain into next year"

Apparently the decision to not make a change now was financial, based on the outrageous salaries and extensions in place That is JLFJR's call, and I don't see a new AD talking him out of it

Personally, I am hoping he can at least persuade him to allow a change at offensive coordinator That alone apparently would involve eating a total of $600,000 over the next 2 years :shock:

Well then, I would like to add to the discussion, a fact. Coach Wagner had not "lost" ANY of the o lineman. Make of that what you will.
By ericlc72
badger74 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Gill has been told he will be back next year. A new AD won't change that.
But he was also told not to sign up for any two year plans with Comcast or Sprint. :P
So what kind of O line coach are we going to be able to hire with the current state of affairs?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ericlc72 wrote:
olldflame wrote:
ericlc72 wrote:It seems to me that it would make since to get the AD hired and let that person handle the head coaching situation. I think just because he is still employed isn't necessarily an indication that he is staying. Wait for the AD hire then we may find out something.
JonathonCarone posted this in the "Season Postmortum" Thread:

"I know it was mentioned in the Wagner thread, but I did find out for sure that the staff is being retained for next year. The reason was mainly due to the amount of money it would cost to make a change, not because there's a ton of confidence in the staff. They get a year to prove the new AD they're worth keeping.

The Wagner firing was made completely by Gill and not at the suggestion of Jerry. A large reason for it was because it was believed Wagner had lost the linemen and a change was needed to move them forward.

As far as I know there won't be any other staff shake up. That's obviously subject to change, but as of now, it looks like everything other than OL will remain into next year"

Apparently the decision to not make a change now was financial, based on the outrageous salaries and extensions in place That is JLFJR's call, and I don't see a new AD talking him out of it

Personally, I am hoping he can at least persuade him to allow a change at offensive coordinator That alone apparently would involve eating a total of $600,000 over the next 2 years :shock:

Well then, I would like to add to the discussion, a fact. Coach Wagner had not "lost" ANY of the o lineman. Make of that what you will.
Hey, facts have never gotten in the way of a good story here before, don't expect it to change now.
FWIW, glad Wagner is gone. He was a disaster at WCU, before he came here. Never have thought it was a good fit.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
So does the selection of a new AD reopen the speculation that a new football coach is coming? Is the fact that it's Ian McCaw, the former Baylor AD, point to Art Briles? Or is the money going to keep Coach Gill and staff here for the foreseeable future?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Art Briles is going to Houston. Turner Gill is going to guide LU to the FCS Playoffs
By Dalegarz1
Not sure about Briles to Houston-Lane Kiffin is rumored to be interested in that job. As others have said, we desperately need a new OC. If that were to happen and we could utilize our skill players better than I believe TG could have success.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:Not sure about Briles to Houston-Lane Kiffin is rumored to be interested in that job. As others have said, we desperately need a new OC. If that were to happen and we could utilize our skill players better than I believe TG could have success.
I'm not sure Kiffin is tired of winning National Championships. Plus his ego is too big for lowly Houston.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Turner Gill is going to guide LU to the FCS Playoffs
I chortle audibly
Not sure what makes that funny He is the only one to ever do it so far
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
I understand that. I don't think LU is particularly close to competing at the level necessary to win the Big South. Thus the LOL.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Art Briles is going to Houston. Turner Gill is going to guide LU to the FCS Playoffs
But will we be any good?
Quit moving the goal posts :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:This has nothing to do with our coach or this thread but Lane Kiffin to Notre Dame is looking like a real thing.
They deserve each other
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:With McCaw in place, I think Gill gets more than a year to prove himself.
He goes to the playoffs next year it's going to be hard to get rid of him
By rtb72
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:With McCaw in place, I think Gill gets more than a year to prove himself.
I think that's a tall order, but I'll gladly munch on some crow if he pulls it off.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I think that's a tall order, but I'll gladly munch on some crow if he pulls it off.
I think it will be easy. Chadwell should be gone at CSU. The O Line CANT be worse. The QB and offense get an entire off season together.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I'm still not convinced that Gill's going to make it through the end of the college football season. I know he's been told another year but it's not like LU to say one thing and do another.

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]