Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:We are going backwards in terms of the athletic director actually being able to run the department.
Somewhere Chuck Burch and Kim Graham are toasting
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:Calling Jeff Barber an idiot is crossing the line. JB has done some magnificent things for the university and has made some great hires. Yes, he's missed some....but so has literally every person that's ever taken a risk in their life. I'll never fault him for taking a risk...that's the only way you have success in sports.

With that said, the one area that I think needs improving is how we handle contracts. Layer should have never been offered an extension after the basketball tournament. We also shouldn't have paid an unproven coach $638k. This is one area where JB absolutely needs to improve.

Lastly, understand that with Gill's salary come certain expectations. I know no one likes to see a person get fired but collegiate coaching has high turnover for a reason. If you're going to make this kind of money, you had better prove that you're worth it. Almost every coach is 4-6 bad weeks away from getting canned...Gill shouldn't be an exception.
I agree, although it has to be tough to use restraint when for all practical purposes, money is no object I have said it repeatedly before and certainly continue to believe that giving Layer a 4 year extension was JB's worst decision 2 years would have been appropriate IMHO Even then, because we have the resources, he was able to bite the bullet and eat the remaining years It might have kept him around a year longer than he should have been, which is bad

I was surprised to see that the disparity with other BSC coaches is that great Our coordinators should not be making that much No way Their previous resumes and accomplishments at LU simply do not support it

I believe all of our coaches should be getting generous pay based on our resources, but when you throw around that kind of $$$ for coaches who have not demonstrated they are worth it in the open market, you are basically putting a huge chip on the shoulder of every opposing coach
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
VAGolf wrote:Calling Jeff Barber an idiot is crossing the line. JB has done some magnificent things for the university and has made some great hires. Yes, he's missed some....but so has literally every person that's ever taken a risk in their life. I'll never fault him for taking a risk...that's the only way you have success in sports.

With that said, the one area that I think needs improving is how we handle contracts. Layer should have never been offered an extension after the basketball tournament. We also shouldn't have paid an unproven coach $638k. This is one area where JB absolutely needs to improve.

Lastly, understand that with Gill's salary come certain expectations. I know no one likes to see a person get fired but collegiate coaching has high turnover for a reason. If you're going to make this kind of money, you had better prove that you're worth it. Almost every coach is 4-6 bad weeks away from getting canned...Gill shouldn't be an exception.
I agree, although it has to be tough to use restraint when for all practical purposes, money is no object I have said it repeatedly before and certainly continue to believe that giving Layer a 4 year extension was JB's worst decision 2 years would have been appropriate IMHO Even then, because we have the resources, he was able to bite the bullet and eat the remaining years It might have kept him around a year longer than he should have been, which is bad

I was surprised to see that the disparity with other BSC coaches is that great Our coordinators should not be making that much No way Their previous resumes and accomplishments at LU simply do not support it

I believe all of our coaches should be getting generous pay based on our resources, but when you throw around that kind of $$$ for coaches who have not demonstrated they are worth it in the open market, you are basically putting a huge chip on the shoulder of every opposing coach

Your last paragraph is very insightful
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:
flamehunter wrote:If we do let Gill go, I would dare say we should receive a lot of interest.
I know Beej would be interested, but the question is if we would have interest from the right people.
Beej would have prototype behind him!
We'll do a campaign for him;) Would be a good fit - would think he would bring in an Alabama type defense, but install a Baylor, TCU type offense. We would win most games 86-6, but we might have some closer ones like 43-3. Coach BJ - Let's do it!!!!!!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Id go for a Texas Tech style offense (that is the Air Raid I believe) but wouldn't abandon the run entirely...id say about 70-30 pass-run ratio
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well really i guess you could say it's a bit if a hybrid offense Id like to run...uses elements of the Air Raid primarily with some uptempo and just enough option to take advantage of an athletic QB and RBs who can split out in the pass game as well...a LOT of four and five wide sets
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]