Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ericlc72
Jonathan Carone wrote:You mean you're not excited about a meaningless Thursday night game against the team that got the invite we so desperately wanted?
thepostman wrote: If we had won or at least gave effort to win this past Saturday maybe I would be more excited. If the players don't care then why should I?
Alright. I am going to speak up here to both of you.

John, I am guessing you haven't played a team sport before, because I can tell you that from a players perspective, there are no meaningless games.

Postman, you also don't understand team sports if you think the players don't care. In my very humble opinion, that is absolutely not the case for this team. I recognize that this is a message board, but you guys might want to give a little bit more thought than you did in this case. Also, I am thinking a few twitter posts by a small number of players should not be used to represent the attitude of the team as a whole.

If I am not correct in my assumptions, I apologize. Go Flames!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
When a team captain is posting things its speaks volumes.

I'm not going to apologize for the words I used. I also think its a direct reflection of their leadership. Which sucks because a lot of those players are very talented
By ericlc72
thepostman wrote:When a team captain is posting things its speaks volumes.

I'm not going to apologize for the words I used. I also think its a direct reflection of their leadership. Which sucks because a lot of those players are very talented
Alright. Fair enough. I will be more assertive then. I am can tell you for a fact, you are absolutely wrong in your assessment of the attitude of the team as a whole.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
the team as a whole may say the right things to you but their actions speak volumes. Also being satisfied with SHARING yet another Big South title then that also speaks volumes.
By ericlc72
thepostman wrote:the team as a whole may say the right things to you but their actions speak volumes. Also being satisfied with SHARING yet another Big South title then that also speaks volumes.
OK, you are showing your ignorance now. That's fine.
By ericlc72
Jonathan Carone wrote:
ericlc72 wrote:If I am not correct in my assumptions, I apologize.
Apology accepted.
Welp, I was hoping that was the reason for the statement. I guess not.
By Jonathan Carone
Coastal Carolina head coach Joe Moglia said that while he respects Liberty head coach Turner Gill, athletic director Jeff Barber and the university as a whole, he has less respect for the way the Flames conduct themselves against CCU.
“There is a good degree of intensity that winds up going along with [Liberty games],” Moglia said. “One of the things that a lot of people are not crazy about is their players … spend a lot of time mouthing off at you. They’re doing that at the beginning of the game, they’re doing it at halftime, they’re doing it during the game, they’re doing it during warmups. I don’t find that particularly classy, so I won’t miss that part.”
“My freshman year I didn’t really understand the rivalry, but as the years have gone on I’ve seen the intensity of the game, how much trash they’re talking, how intense the game is and how close it’s been the past few years,” CCU senior safety C.J. Thompson said. “Even that game [in 2014] when they came here and beat us on the last-minute play, how they ran to our sideline and how passionate they were. It just made more drive for me to come back at them stronger the next year.”
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ericlc72 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:You mean you're not excited about a meaningless Thursday night game against the team that got the invite we so desperately wanted?
thepostman wrote: If we had won or at least gave effort to win this past Saturday maybe I would be more excited. If the players don't care then why should I?
Alright. I am going to speak up here to both of you.

John, I am guessing you haven't played a team sport before, because I can tell you that from a players perspective, there are no meaningless games.

Postman, you also don't understand team sports if you think the players don't care. In my very humble opinion, that is absolutely not the case for this team. I recognize that this is a message board, but you guys might want to give a little bit more thought than you did in this case. Also, I am thinking a few twitter posts by a small number of players should not be used to represent the attitude of the team as a whole.

If I am not correct in my assumptions, I apologize. Go Flames!
:popcorn :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ericlc72 wrote:
thepostman wrote:the team as a whole may say the right things to you but their actions speak volumes. Also being satisfied with SHARING yet another Big South title then that also speaks volumes.
OK, you are showing your ignorance now. That's fine.
I am just going off of the statements players and coaches have made to the media and on twitter. If I am ignorant please enlighten me.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
PostMan,

Solomon was quoted the week before that sharing a title means nothing to him. I believe he is being sarcastic in his twitter statements about sharing a title. So if you are going to base your entire argument over what Solomon said, get the context right.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Moglia needs more dog in him. He has too much cat. Whining to the media about college football players talking trash during a game , that is what a cat would do.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:PostMan,

Solomon was quoted the week before that sharing a title means nothing to him. I believe he is being sarcastic in his twitter statements about sharing a title. So if you are going to base your entire argument over what Solomon said, get the context right.
I'm not buying his Twitter rants were sarcastic.
By ericlc72

R i wrote:Moglia needs more dog in him. He has too much cat. Whining to the media about college football players talking trash during a game , that is what a cat would do.
:)
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:Moglia needs more dog in him. He has too much cat. Whining to the media about college football players talking trash during a game , that is what a cat would do.
I think it's legit. I've always been somewhat embarrassed by how some of our players represented us when playing against Coastal. It comes back to the overhyped manufactured rivalry. We've built Coastal up on such a pedestal that some of our players don't control themselves when we play them. It happened under Rocco and it's happened under Gill.

Edit: It also usually happens more in games at Coastal than at home for what it's worth.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:

I do believe he is poking fun at CSU for celebrating a shared Title. This was his quote last week.

" I'm not here to have the mind set of sharing anything, we work too hard to share a title "
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
And I guess Gill saying they should be proud of sharing another title? Thats crap. For a board who is awfully conservative politically we have a lot of people who love giving trophy's to everyone as long as we can claim a title.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
I think it's legit. I've always been somewhat embarrassed by how some of our players represented us when playing against Coastal. It comes back to the overhyped manufactured rivalry. We've built Coastal up on such a pedestal that some of our players don't control themselves when we play them. It happened under Rocco and it's happened under Gill.

If it were legit, we would see more penalty flags and ejections. If Joe is willing to whine about it to the media, then there should be enough to Merritt more penalty flags than have been thrown in the past.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

I do believe he is poking fun at CSU for celebrating a shared Title. This was his quote last week.

" I'm not here to have the mind set of sharing anything, we work too hard to share a title "
When you lose you should just shut up. You can not talk trash to a team that just destroyed you at home. It is a bad look.

I remember why I can't be too critical on this board because too many people get way too offended.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

I'm not denying that was his mindset last week. That was before he got his pride hurt by getting embarrassed at home.

Once he started bragging about giving a kid a concussion and CSU players came back at him basically pointing at the scoreboard, he got defensive and had to protect his ego and started touting the shared title. There was no sarcasm there.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I am not offended PostMan. Just letting you know I think your wrong about the shared title celebration.

It was definitely a bad look to be talking trash after the worst home Big South loss in school history. But I would not go as far as you did and say that the players and coaches do not care about the game tonight.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

If it were legit, we would see more penalty flags and ejections. If Joe is willing to whine about it to the media, then there should be enough to Merritt more penalty flags than have been thrown in the past.
I don't think we play dirty against them. I just don't think we handle ourselves as we should either. We chirp more than normal against them. It's not against the rules, just not how Liberty should carry themselves or like Liberty represents themselves vs everyone else.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:I am not offended PostMan. Just letting you know I think your wrong about the shared title celebration.

It was definitely a bad look to be talking trash after the worst home Big South loss in school history. But I would not go as far as you did and say that the players and coaches do not care about the game tonight.
'm sure they care about tonight and I am sure they cared about CSU but they sure didn't show up when it mattered most and put the effort into the CSU game that proves they cared enough to but the effort required to win against quality opponents.

I put that more on the coaching staff philosophy but some of it is on the players as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
R i wrote:I am not offended PostMan. Just letting you know I think your wrong about the shared title celebration.

'm sure they care about tonight and I am sure they cared about CSU but they sure didn't show up when it mattered most and put the effort into the CSU game that proves they cared enough to but the effort required to win against quality opponents.

I put that more on the coaching staff philosophy but some of it is on the players as well.
Do you need to look for someone wearing a Safety Pin?
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-adds-commitment-[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]