Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
You don't get blown out by two ranked teams and get an at large. Especially when you're Liberty.

Also, that playoff run is feeling more and more like the NCAA tournament run under Layer.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
When BJWILLIAMS, the ultimate LU Homer says we should think about heading in a different direction then you know things aren't going in the right direction.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I think Gill is coaching for his job this Thursday. If the team gives up on him, and we get blown out, I can see him being fired. If we are competitive, I think he gets another year.

He did bring in the Buckshot, who is still our very bright future at QB.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:I think Gill is coaching for his job this Thursday. If the team gives up on him, and we get blown out, I can see him being fired. If we are competitive, I think he gets another year.
That game was yesterday and was an abject failure on all accounts.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:When BJWILLIAMS, the ultimate LU Homer says we should think about heading in a different direction then you know things aren't going in the right direction.
That's just because his boi Jon is in that camp. Now that The Scribe has gone and hates America BJ has only one true crush left
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:You don't get blown out by two ranked teams and get an at large. Especially when you're Liberty.

Also, that playoff run is feeling more and more like the NCAA tournament run under Layer.
This.

Guys, take a step back and think about what just happened. We got BLOWN OUT at home, against Charleston Southern. That would have been unthinkable a couple of years ago. No one in the Big South could have done that to us here. This isn't overreaction. This is a program that is regressing.
I step back and look at that and ask 'Why'?
Is it talent?
Is it coaching?
Was it something uncontrollable?

As I step back and look at it I keep coming back to their O Line. It got decimated by transfers injuries etc. I would want to know how that's going to get fixed. I'd want to know CAN it get fixed.
The Skill Positions are fine. But play calling was 'interesting ' at times. Why was that? There was an expected QB change. So was it a vanilla offense because he was a Frosh? I dunno. But it's a question I would ask.
I thought the defense was fine. It had a lot of pressure put in it because of the offensive struggles. It was also susceptible to big plays over the top. I would send the staff to GT to watch how they run the option in the Spring so they will have a better idea how to stop it.
How is the locker room? To me, that's the most important part. It looked better than last year, but I'm not sure. Getting a beat down like they got hurts. But if he still has the trust of the coaches and the returnees that's a good sign

LU isn't getting an at large bid and may actually back its way in to the Post Season. This year played out exactly like people thought Redford wise. There is talent there. I can see the next 3 years being real good.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:When BJWILLIAMS, the ultimate LU Homer says we should think about heading in a different direction then you know things aren't going in the right direction.
That's just because his boi Jon is in that camp. Now that The Scribe has gone and hates America BJ has only one true crush left
I don't know he's been pretty pissy towards Jon lately.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
[quote="Purple Haize"
I step back and look at that and ask 'Why'?
Is it talent?
Is it coaching?
Was it something uncontrollable?

As I step back and look at it I keep coming back to their O Line. It got decimated by transfers injuries etc. I would want to know how that's going to get fixed. I'd want to know CAN it get fixed.
The Skill Positions are fine. But play calling was 'interesting ' at times. Why was that? There was an expected QB change. So was it a vanilla offense because he was a Frosh? I dunno. But it's a question I would ask.
I thought the defense was fine. It had a lot of pressure put in it because of the offensive struggles. It was also susceptible to big plays over the top. I would send the staff to GT to watch how they run the option in the Spring so they will have a better idea how to stop it.
How is the locker room? To me, that's the most important part. It looked better than last year, but I'm not sure. Getting a beat down like they got hurts. But if he still has the trust of the coaches and the returnees that's a good sign

LU isn't getting an at large bid and may actually back its way in to the Post Season. This year played out exactly like people thought Redford wise. There is talent there. I can see the next 3 years being real good.
This is scary, you and I are starting to think alike. To God Be The Glory! :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I don't know he's been pretty pissy towards Jon lately.
Lovers quarrel. Plus BJ likes the abuse.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Gill's career reminds me of Dunton's. He can get the talent on campus, he just can't win with it, with the exception of 1 season. Except Gill inherited a winning culture and seems to be on a downward trend. Which is reminiscent of Layer. They got kicked to the curb.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Gill's career reminds me of Dunton's. He can get the talent on campus, he just can't win with it, with the exception of 1 season. Except Gill inherited a winning culture and seems to be on a downward trend. Which is reminiscent of Layer. They got kicked to the curb.
Jeff Meyer

And no, there are 0 similarities
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Except that there clearly are. We are not satisfied with coming in 2nd every year. Win the conference or everything else was pointless.

Someone posted earlier that 2 playoffs in 5 years would "be special". To JMU? Nope. To Richmond? Nope. To Coastal? Nope. To a team that plays in a dumpster fire league and an auto is should be automatic? Apparently. We will be telling our grand kids about these glory days.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Except that there clearly are. We are not satisfied with coming in 2nd every year. Win the conference or everything else was pointless.

Someone posted earlier that 2 playoffs in 5 years would "be special". To JMU? Nope. To Richmond? Nope. To Coastal? Nope. To a team that plays in a dumpster fire league and an auto is should be automatic? Apparently. We will be telling our grand kids about these glory days.
Except that there aren't.
And I will not be having any grandkids
By Jonathan Carone
So the fact both could get talent here but only finished first once in five years, along with each having a random terrible year, isn't a similarity?
By TerraCottaGamer
R i wrote:I think Gill is coaching for his job this Thursday. If the team gives up on him, and we get blown out, I can see him being fired. If we are competitive, I think he gets another year.

He did bring in the Buckshot, who is still our very bright future at QB.

He has already coached for and lost his job as far as I am concerned. If we beat Coastal I will be shocked. Even then, you don't get blown out at home against Charleston Southern and get blown out by every other decent team we have played this year and get an at large.

As for Buckshot - sure Gill recruited him, but it took him entirely too long to give him the reigns at the beginning of this season when Masha was nothing short of awful.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:So the fact both could get talent here but only finished first once in five years, along with each having a random terrible year, isn't a similarity?
Not even going down that road. Enjoy your hate
By Jonathan Carone
TerraCottaGamer wrote:If we beat Coastal I will be shocked.
You are new so you may not know this, but it's Liberty Football tradition to win the meaningless game at the end of the season. We are usually great in that game.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:So the fact both could get talent here but only finished first once in five years, along with each having a random terrible year, isn't a similarity?
Not even going down that road. Enjoy your hate
Those are facts, not hate. I'm not comparing the coaches at people or their recruiting philosophies, only the indisputable results they produced.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
The thing is, JMU, Richmond and others aren't more talented than we are. We have the talent to compete in playoffs and we certainly have the talent to at LEAST be competitive in our conference. Yet, JMU and Richmond have championship aspirations and we were just humiliated by a conference opponent, with awful resources and they're half the team they were in week 1. Why is that? Coaching.

We can go back and forth on playcalling, QB decisions...etc. I think all of that matters but put all of it aside for a minute. We are never prepared. If a team isn't prepared, that falls entirely on the coach.

Lastly, stop with the injury excuse. This is the same crap Layer homers pulled. Good coaches can compensate, and better coaches don't have many injury issues.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:The thing is, JMU, Richmond and others aren't more talented than we are. We have the talent to compete in playoffs and we certainly have the talent to at LEAST be competitive in our conference. Yet, JMU and Richmond have championship aspirations and we were just humiliated by a conference opponent, with awful resources and they're half the team they were in week 1. Why is that? Coaching.

We can go back and forth on playcalling, QB decisions...etc. I think all of that matters but put all of it aside for a minute. We are never prepared. If a team isn't prepared, that falls entirely on the coach.

Lastly, stop with the injury excuse. This is the same crap Layer homers pulled. Good coaches can compensate, and better coaches don't have many injury issues.
Injuries can be legit. I look at the ravaged O Line and say that's legit.
By Jonathan Carone
I'd have more sympathy for the offensive line injuries if the recruiting wasn't so horribly managed and if they didn't have such a bad OL coaching strategy.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'd have more sympathy for the offensive line injuries if the recruiting wasn't so horribly managed and if they didn't have such a bad OL coaching strategy.
I don't know enough about it but I'm not sure we disagree
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]